Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at its October 2016 Town Hall event, Apple announced an entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro that it is positioning as an appealing alternative for potential buyers of the MacBook Air, the 13-inch version of which remains available to buy for now, with the 11-inch version being discontinued.

The new entry-level Pro takes on many of the design features of the rest of the range, except for Apple's new Touch Bar, which replaces the traditional function key strip in the rest of its new Pro MacBooks.

f1477592280-800x360.jpg

The new entry-level MacBook Pro is 12 percent thinner than the current MacBook Air. It's also 13 percent smaller in volume, while staying the same weight.

Apple's senior VP Phil Schiller says the new entry-level MacBook Pro is faster than the MacBook Air in "every way." It has a 2.0GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, Intel Iris 540 Graphics, a larger Force Touch trackpad, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and a new second-generation butterfly mechanism keyboard.

The entry-level MacBook ships starting today and is available starting at $1,499. In contrast, the existing MacBook Air with 1.6GHz processor and 128GB storage and is still available at $999. The new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro can be pre-ordered online now and will ship in 2-3 weeks.

Article Link: Apple Unveils New 13-Inch Entry-Level MacBook Pro

Last edited:

JS24

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Can anyone compare these new 13" products with 2015 13" MBPr? I would go to older version than these.

JoshDoug

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Phew! Sucks that it's the entry SKU but at least it doesn't have the touch bar gimmick....now is the butterfly switch 2.0 keyboard an improvement on the quite frankly terrible MacBook keyboard. I guess I can live with only two thunderbolt ports.

Reactions: jimmyco2008

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
There was no reason to take away 2 of the 4 Thunderbolt ports on the new entry-level MBP.
This.
I can understand not including the fancy OLED bar, but removing 2 ports just because is a bit lame. There's no space restriction here, and the fact that this still bears a "Pro" branding.
Ditching SD card slot, HDMI port, etc for 4 USB-C ports is kinda okay, but ditching all that only for 2 USB-C port? On a Pro notebook? Come on Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.