Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled a new eight-generation iPad with a powerful A12 Bionic chip that brings the Neural Engine to the entry iPad for the first time and provides 40 percent faster performance than the A11, with double the graphics power.

f1600191751.jpg

Apple claims the new more affordable iPad is twice as fast as the top-selling Windows laptop, three times faster than the top selling Android tablet, and six times faster than the top-selling Chromebook.
"We're excited to offer customers an even faster and more powerful experience with the eighth-generation iPad," said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With its beautiful 10.2-inch Retina display, the performance boost from the A12 Bionic, great cameras, and so much more, the new iPad is an incredible value at a time when, more than ever, our customers need powerful and versatile ways to work, play, learn, and connect with loved ones."
Shipping with the new iPadOS 14 mobile operating system, the new iPad supports the first-generation Apple Pencil, features Smart Keyboard Support, and offers gigabit-class LTE as an additional option.

Apple says the new eighth-generation iPad is designed to be environmentally friendly and supports Apple’s plan to become carbon neutral by 2030.

The new iPad starts at $329, or $299 for education customers, while the Wi-Fi plus cellular model costs $459. All versions can be ordered today on the Apple online store with availability starting Friday.

Article Link: Apple Unveils New 8th-Gen 10.2-inch iPad With A12 Chip, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard Support

Last edited:

WizeHare

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
Coming from a third generation, this is a bump for a 299 device like every year before it, not sure what you're looking for other than faster at that price point. The one question is will this base ipad support Apple Pencil 2, I wasn't paying attention in the keynote. The new Air is really where it is at, been waiting forever for this bump to upgrade.

Reactions: ingik

BradMacPro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
Finally has USB-C and you can use it as a second monitor for your Mac assuming it's running Catalina or Big Sur.

Reactions: jazz1

hey_augie

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
Seems like a great deal. Finally time to replace my iPad 3 I think. The air is nice and all but I don't really need power. I just want something I feel more comfortable carrying around to consume media than a $1,400 MBA.

Now announce the ARM Mac Mini so i can fully convert to iPad + Mini

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Wish they'd upgraded the base amount to 64gb.

Anybody have thoughts in real-world use how much faster this will be than the 7th gen? We just got my son a new 7th gen iPad for his birthday. He upgraded from an iPad Mini 2 so it is blazingly fast vs. what he was using. We are still in the Amazon 30 day return window so I'm debating returning it to get the new one.

If it was my device I would do it without thought to get the newer one but it is a lot of hassle for my son and I don't know if he would ever care about the difference. He mainly uses the iPad for basic things like Youtube and Facetime.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Wish they'd upgraded the base amount to 64gb.

Anybody have thoughts in real-world use how much faster this will be than the 7th gen? We just got my son a new 7th gen iPad for his birthday. He upgraded from an iPad Mini 2 so it is blazingly fast vs. what he was using. We are still in the Amazon 30 day return window so I'm debating returning it to get the new one.

If it was my device I would do it without thought to get the newer one but it is a lot of hassle for my son and I don't know if he would ever care about the difference. He mainly uses the iPad for basic things like Youtube and Facetime.

In real-world terms you likely won't notice any difference unless they have spec bumped the RAM as well (unlikely). The main benefit is that you will get 1-2 more years of updates as it gets older.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
Slightly disappointed here (looking for a redesign), but the product was and is already pretty solid.

They're gonna milk this hardware as long as they can (and rightly so).

So this, the new Watch SE and the iPhone SE are now the bottom rung in the Apple ecosystem (which is still far above any other in my opinion).

Smart, Apple. Very smart.

Reactions: Jxdawg and Frosties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.