Apple Updates GarageBand, iMovie, and iWork Apps for Mac and iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its GarageBand app for iOS devices to version 2.3.7, adding support for keyboard commands when using a Smart Keyboard such as the new Smart Keyboard Folio for the 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models or a Bluetooth keyboard.

The update adds the Wah stompbox pedal and Face Control to the Smart Guitar tool, and Apple says it includes stability improvements and bug fixes.

[​IMG]

Apple also updated its suite of iWork apps for iOS and Mac devices, which includes Keynote, Numbers, and Pages. According to the release notes, the update includes performance and stability improvements, which could also include display optimizations for the new iPad Pro models.

The new version of Pages on both Mac and iOS adds support for publishing books directly to Apple Books for download or purchase.

iMovie for iOS gains support for external displays when connected to the new 2018 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, and it offers several bug fixes.
    iMovie for Mac is the final Apple app updated today, with Apple removing the option to share files directly to Facebook. The update also adds a new "Prepare for Facebook" option as a replacement that is designed to export a Facebook-compatible video file to your Mac that can then be manually added to the Facebook website.

GarageBand, iMovie, and the iWork apps can be downloaded from the App Store and Mac App Store at no cost.

- GarageBand for iOS [Direct Link]
    - iMovie for iOS [Direct Link]
    - iMovie for Mac [Direct Link]
    - Pages for iOS [Direct Link]
    - Keynote for iOS [Direct Link]
    - Numbers for iOS [Direct Link]
    - Pages for macOS [Direct Link]
    - Keynote for macOS [Direct Link]
    - Numbers for macOS [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates GarageBand, iMovie, and iWork Apps for Mac and iOS

2. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Okay, so wait... it says connect your iPhone to a 4K display. How?

4. Puonti macrumors 6502a

To be precise it says you can connect an iPhone or iPad to an external display... and then separately that the 2018 iPads Pro can output 4k video. Not that iPhones can output 4k video.

The 4k output is probably achieved with a USB-C dongle or cable, for use with the iPads.

5. pweicks macrumors regular

pweicks

Does this mean that I can publish all my old grade school essays with a click and see if anyone will buy them for $0.99?

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Ah, got it. I misread.

7. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

People complain about the high Mac and iOS prices but we get a bunch of great 1st party software and the best OS period included with the hardware. Each update makes all of these apps better and more robust.

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

Poor iMovie on iOS. It seems so enticing at first, so much promise, but once you start using it you quickly realize it's a very limited and confining app to use. Kindergarten app. So much is left out of it intentionally to drive you to a Mac or Final Cut Pro.

9. Tec972 macrumors regular

Can someone comment on the loss of functionality in imovie. Is this actually a step backwards, or a good thing that is solving a problem? Don't want to update if there is a loss of features or functionality. Thanks

10. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I know this is a VERY niche issue, but Konica Minolta copier drivers still don't work nicely with Pages, Keynote, Safari, etc. In Preview, when I go to print, I get options in nice, organized groups (eg Layout/Finish, Quality, Paper Tray, etc. In Pages et al, everything just in one long list. Put in a bug report to both Apple & Konica Minolta.

11. lec0rsaire, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

It's better than not having anything at all. iMovie on the Mac is almost good enough for all amateur use. It is intentionally crippled but that's understandable since it's not meant to be a professional product. This is why they also make FCP which at $300 remains an excellent value proposition. For basic videos iMovie offers enough. It also makes the transition to FCPX much easier for beginners. By that point they will be familiar with all of the basics and be able to advantage of it.

Still when you compare iMovie to something like Windows Movie Maker, it becomes very clear which is the superior product and it's not even close!

12. CBlakeston, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Weirdly this is the first time I've ever had updates not show up in the Mac App Store. I could see the App had a newer version number in the store but there was nothing listed in 'updates' and no option to update on the individual Apps page, just 'OPEN' which opened the app I had installed.

I had to manually delete iMovie, Numbers, Pages and Keynote on my Mac then download the new versions from the Mac App Store. Did it work as usual for everyone else?

13. LV426 macrumors 6502a

No updates are showing for me, despite newer versions being available on the App Store. MacOS BUG?

14. bracholder macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue here

15. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Seems it's a few of us. I'm on 10.14.1 by the way.

16. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

It’s crazy how much I love updates to iWork. Amazing software which makes me super productive and powers my creativity.

17. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

Same here, no updates showing at all. 10.14.1, App store says all is up to date, as does software update

18. Tec972 macrumors regular

19. Dc2006ster macrumors regular

Relieved to see that others have the same issue as me. The updates are not showing in the App Store.

20. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

I’m having the same issue with the updates.

21. viettanium macrumors regular

GarageBand still not support 10.5-inch display of iPad Pro. how it look like on the 11-inch?

22. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

All updated fine this morning automatically. Guess a glitch at Apples end.

23. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Nope. I had to do the same as you. For some reason, the Mac App Store is not responding properly. Very likely a glitch that Apple will soon fix.

24. darkcompass macrumors newbie

darkcompass

25. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

For those of us iWork diehards:

No, no additional functionality was added to linked text boxes to bring it back to the iWork '09 levels.