Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though the new MacBook Pro models equipped with a Touch Bar won't be in the hands of consumers for at least two more weeks, Apple today updated many of its Mac apps with support for the feature.

GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, and Xcode are now able to work with the Touch Bar built into new 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro machines.

appupdates-800x562.jpg

In Xcode, the Touch Bar offers up context-specific buttons when in the Xcode editor, commit sheet, navigator, and Interface Builder. The Interface Builder makes it easy for developers to add Touch Bar features to their Mac apps, and the Touch Bar simulator lets them see how their app works with the Touch Bar.

In Numbers, Pages, and Keynote, the Touch Bar can be used to edit text, shapes, tables, and charts, providing quick-access tools depending on what you're working on.

In iMovie, the Touch Bar allows users to quickly add video clips to a movie, or use them to create picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects. There are also options for using the Touch Bar to play a movie, split a clip, or adjust clip volume.

In GarageBand, the Touch Bar can be used to adjust all Smart Controls on a selected track, adjust volume, or to fine-tune the sound of instruments and effects.

Apple has also released a new version of iTunes, iTunes 12.5.2. The update is not yet available for download and it may be limited to new MacBook Pro models, introducing support for the Touch Bar.

Over the course of the next few weeks, many popular Mac apps from third-party developers will also be updated to support the new Touch Bar in the MacBook Pro. Some apps that will have Touch Bar buttons include Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, Photoshop, Sketch, DaVinci Resolve, Microsoft Office, and more.

Update: iTunes 12.5.2 is now available through Software Update for all compatible devices.

Article Link: Apple Updates iMovie, GarageBand, Xcode and iWork Apps With Support for MacBook Pro Touch Bar

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Anybody else stuck like this? It shows five updates available up top, but nothing else and no way to install the updates.

I tried a reboot and no change.
I got that, but switched to the Purchased section, and updated each app there. All good now, playing with Motion and FCPX later... :D

EDIT: I didn't see the previous post, but did get this in earlier: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-os-updates-not-showing-up.2009879/#post-23802251 - Cheers, and props...

Reactions: JSH56 and Weaselboy

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Anybody else stuck like this? It shows five updates available up top, but nothing else and no way to install the updates.

I tried a reboot and no change.
Same here. I have 11 updates waiting (when none were available two days ago). Nothing happens. There's no icon to indicate the App Store is searching for updates.

EDIT: I went to Purchases as suggested and was able to update there. This is the first time I've had trouble with App Store updates.

Reactions: Todd Fisher

arpi

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
Did a "sudo softwareupdate -i -a" in the terminal, updated that way. It seems they simplified a list to a line, for the "experience"...

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
If Apple let it burn, they'll give me the last excuse to totally ditch everything of theirs.
That wouldn't be in line with their current run of steady upgrades. Remember that Logic hasn't have paid upgrades since X came out in 2013 AND they slashed the price to $199. It's a miracle that it gets updates at all, let alone brand new features like Logic Remote or Alchemy. I'd expect a touch bar enabled upgrade shortly.

Reactions: milo

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Does anyone know if they have added the feature back in yet that allows you to delete portions of your events to free up disk space? (i.e. reject and delete the middle of a clip)

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Here the same. Batch shows updates, but none are shown. I tried to use 'softwareupdate --install --all' in Terminal and this installed iTunes and macOS-HD-recovery-restore.... but nothing more. Search for the software in the App Store shows an update button. This will resolve this. Do this with every update.

Last edited:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Guess the new Logic Pro X update wasn't really ready for prime time yet.

Or that's just the next pro app on the chopping block. Which would suck, because I converted from Sonar on Windows to Logic X on Mac only a couple years ago.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Or that's just the next pro app on the chopping block. Which would suck, because I converted from Sonar on Windows to Logic X on Mac only a couple years ago.

People have been saying that for years. And Logic continues to get major updates on a regular basis. If they were going to dump the app they wouldn't keep putting the obvious effort into developing it.

Basically the same team works on both GB and Logic. Looks like they determined that more people are using GB and added the feature there first. Or they have an update in progress that includes other features and fixes and it just isn't ready for release yet. I'd be shocked if the next Logic update doesn't have it.

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.