Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Updates iTunes Store Terms to Allow Opt-Out of iAd Data Collection

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Users looking to update their App Store applications for today's iOS 4 release have been greeted with a screen informing them of changes to the iTunes Store and conditions. While users are required to accept the changes before continuing, the summary of changes simply indicates that the company has made "material" changes to its privacy agreement.

iLounge dug into the changes and discovered that the updated terms relate to Apple's iAd service, which aims to deliver a high-quality, interactive mobile advertising experience. Some of iAd's appeal to advertisers is Apple's ability to serve ads with a high degree of relevance to customers due to the company's vast amount of information on each customer's purchase and download history, but this ability also raises certain privacy issues, and the updated privacy terms explain Apple's data collection and offers users a means to opt out of the collection.
"Apple and its partners use cookies and other technologies in mobile advertising services to control the number of times you see a given ad, deliver ads that relate to your interests, and measure the effectiveness of ad campaigns," the text says. "If you do not want to receive ads with this level of relevance on your mobile device, you can opt out by accessing the following link on your device: http://oo.apple.com. If you opt out, you will continue to receive the same number of mobile ads, but they may be less relevant because they will not be based on your interests. You may still see ads related to the contrent on a web page or in an application or based on other non-personal information. This opt-out applies only to Apple advertising services and does not affect interest-based advertising from other advertising networks."
As noted, users must visit the opt-out URL on each device they wish to exclude from the data collection, and those devices must be running iOS 4 in order to register the opt-out. The company has also posted a new support document outlining the interest-based ads and the opt-out process.

Application developers have already begun rolling out iAd-enabled applications with placeholders for the forthcoming interactive advertisement, but the service will not go live until July 1st.

Article Link: Apple Updates iTunes Store Terms to Allow Opt-Out of iAd Data Collection

ianham

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sounds good to me. Advertising is part of the fundamental problems of our capitalist society, so anything against it is a +.

Comment

haenchensd

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Original iPhone and iPod touch

So does this mean they will not be serving the ads on devices which can not run iOS 4? Or is there another process outlined which allows users of older devices incapable of running iOS 4 from opting out?

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
This is good.

Now, if Steveo can get after apps that phone home back to the developer, I'd be even more pleased.

Right now, I see Android as the "SpyPhone" but as I looked into this more, there's plenty of snooping on iPhone apps as well.

Comment

pyth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds good to me. Advertising is part of the fundamental problems of our capitalist society, so anything against it is a +.

BAHAHA. Wow, you're intelligent. I can tell because you:
a) evidently don't understand capitalism
b) couldn't take the time to actually write out the word "plus"

Comment

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

I'm with you!

I'm happy to support free apps for the devs with ads, but I don't need them to be trawling my private behaviours on the device to serve an ad that *they* believe is more relevant. Not only is it an invasion of my privacy, but I am not easily categorised. :)

Comment

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008

Albeit only (officially) with Chrome; Google has an official opt out extension and has for a while. On the unofficial side of things, for Firefox you can use noscript and block google analytics. Also, when you download Chrome you can opt out of other Data collection.

Comment

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
I get the same error as some here. It tells me I need iOS4 which I have. Lol

Comment

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Uh for all you who don't care to read, opting out means you get non targeted ads, not no ads at all. The data collection is used to display ads tailored to your interests. Without it, you just get the regular often non relevant ads.

Comment

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Uh for all you who don't care to read, opting out means you get non targeted ads, not no ads at all. The data collection is used to display ads tailored to your interests. Without it, you just get the regular often non relevant ads.

Not completely non-relevant. Sort of like advertising ambulance chasing lawyer advertisements during daytime television because let's face it, if you're home during the day you were wronged and must sue for compensation.

*paid for by Dewey Cheatem and Howe.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.