Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference, set to kick off on Monday, June 5, Apple has updated its official WWDC app for the event, introducing several new features and a revamped look.

According to Apple's release notes, the updated app features curated video playlists centered on featured themes, interactive venue and street maps, and a new Venue tab that provides information about the conference site in San Jose, California. For the first time in many years, WWDC will take place at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose rather than the Moscone Center in San Francisco. There are also stickers for Messages featuring classic Apple icons.

wwdc20171-800x707.jpg
- Watch curated video playlists focused on featured themes.
- View interactive venue and street maps.
- See important venue information in the new Venue tab.
- Use all app features without signing in.
The WWDC app is meant to be used by both conference attendees and developers who were not able to purchase tickets for the event. It offers up on-site tools like maps and start times for labs, sessions, and events, plus it includes live video streams so those not in attendance can watch each session.

As of last year, Apple also offers a tvOS WWDC app for the fourth-generation Apple TV, so developers can watch live sessions on their television sets.

wwdc20172-800x707.jpg

Today's update also includes a schedule of sessions that will take place during the conference, with several funny placeholder names in place to hide information that won't be available until new versions of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS are unveiled at the keynote event. For the first time, Apple will be allowing podcasters to reserve time for on-site WWDC podcasts in a special Podcast Studio.

applewwdcpodcast-800x707.jpg

The Worldwide Developers Conference starts on June 5 with a keynote that will take place at 10:00 a.m. Apple will live stream the keynote on both its website and on the Apple TV, and MacRumors will also provide live coverage on MacRumors.com and through the MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Apple's WWDC app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Official WWDC App Ahead of 2017 Event

karlemilkoch

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Has to be a sign of the iOS11 design language?
[doublepost=1496168588][/doublepost]
What's 'Apple Podcasts Studio' in the screenshot? New tool to record podcasts? Maybe just placeholder in the first screen…but maybe something new :)

It's a place for Podcasters to record professionally from Dub Dub.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
What's 'Apple Podcasts Studio' in the screenshot? New tool to record podcasts? Maybe just placeholder in the first screen…but maybe something new :)
The location for that event is listed as "Podcast Studio" and the time is all day (9am-6pm). I would guess they've set up a place for (some) podcasters to do their podcasts at the conference. Interesting, and may suggest more attention put on podcasting, but less likely to be an entirely new app (mostly because they're generally more careful than that).

Edit: ah, looks like a bunch more screenshots were added. Makes more sense now.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I'm far more interested in iOS 11 than I am the iPhone 8.

I truly hope iOS 11 is a generational leap for the platform, as iOS 10 changes shamelessly revolved around one app.

Not holding my breath. Surprise us, Apple!

Reactions: motulist

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I guess my desires are pretty simple. I just hope that Cook does not embarrass himself like he did last year. I hope he finally has some new technology to talk about rather than just rehash the 2 year old technology by calling it groundbreaking.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
Anyone else taking notice of the indoor maps???

Could this be a preview of indoor mapping finally arriving on iOS 11? Apple has bought a few companies that specialized in indoor mapping. Plus there is a dedicated website for major venues to fill out details about their location specifically for this.

https://mapsconnect.apple.com

Reactions: orbital~debris

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Ahead of the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference, set to kick off on Monday, June 5, Apple has updated its official WWDC app for the event, introducing several new features and a revamped look.

According to Apple's release notes, the updated app features curated video playlists centered on featured themes, interactive venue and street maps, and a new Venue tab that provides information about the conference site in San Jose, California. For the first time in many years, WWDC will take place at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose rather than the Moscone Center in San Francisco. There are also stickers for Messages featuring classic Apple icons.

wwdc20171-800x707.jpg
The WWDC app is meant to be used by both conference attendees and developers who were not able to purchase tickets for the event. It offers up on-site tools like maps and start times for labs, sessions, and events, plus it includes live video streams so those not in attendance can watch each session.

As of last year, Apple also offers a tvOS WWDC app for the fourth-generation Apple TV, so developers can watch live sessions on their television sets.

wwdc20172-800x707.jpg

Today's update also includes a schedule of sessions that will take place during the conference, with several funny placeholder names in place to hide information that won't be available until new versions of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS are unveiled at the keynote event. For the first time, Apple will be allowing podcasters to reserve time for on-site WWDC podcasts in a special Podcast Studio.

applewwdcpodcast-800x707.jpg

The Worldwide Developers Conference starts on June 5 with a keynote that will take place at 10:00 a.m. Apple will live stream the keynote on both its website and on the Apple TV, and MacRumors will also provide live coverage on MacRumors.com and through the MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Apple's WWDC app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Official WWDC App Ahead of 2017 Event

I find the Koala pun to be endearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.