Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Hard to believe you can control almost every aspect of appleTV but not photos. No way to browse photos form Remote, or select and start slideshows. Seems like a glaring omission to me.

You can do that. It's part of the new Airplay feature but that part won't be released until iOS 4.2 in November along with Video support.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
New remote App - Finally!!!

Apple finally updated the remote App for the iPhone 4 and the iPad. I downloaded it for each and gave it a quick test. The App for the iPad looks great. Totally different than the iPhone - it almost looks like iTunes on the computer. The iPhone version looks good too. Picking Airplay (Airtunes) speakers is easier and you can control the volume of each separately.

This App and distributed audio have been a great feature for some time that most people were unaware of. I have a feeling that it's set to take off now. I have 5 sets of speakers running on it and it's amazing. Friends and family are blown away that I can call up a song from my phone at any part of the house or outdoors.

Obviously it works on the Apple TV, which in my opinion is the only remote to use. It makes the included remote seem useless unless you don't have an iPhone or iPad or can't find them.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Did anyone else have the issue that if you fast forward alot of change the location of where the song was playing that sometimes it would lock up your computer and basically force reboot it. It seemed like one release did that alot then got alittle better but still from time to time with the last version if I skipped around in the songs it would do it. It seems to behave better when I locked in iRemote app (you see icon on top right corner of your iphone) but then that cost battery life.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Just tried the updated Remote app on the iphone. Niiiiice.

The Home Sharing feature is now included and there are seperate volume controls for each zone you have set up with computers, Airport Expresses, or Apple TVs. Will be perfect for controlling the new Apple TV. My next home party is gonna be off da hook!

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Woo Hoo!

I can control the volume of my (old) Apple TV from the remote. I can also make the sound come out of my Apple TV and my iMac at the same time, this is fantastic. This is all streaming from my library on the iMac.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I may have missed the memo, but do I need to upgrade to itunes 10 and ios 4 for the new app to get all of the features like independent volume control?

and if after 4.2 comes out, can I steam from my itunes library to my touch or iphone?

either way, I cant wait to get home to download the new app....

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
The Home Sharing feature is now included and there are seperate volume controls for each zone you have set up with computers, Airport Expresses, or Apple TVs.

That's what the picture shows in the post here, but that's not how it is in my app. I have three separate speakers to choose from (including the Mac itself) and they all share a single volume control. That said, I am running 3.2 on my iPad not 4.2 so perhaps that's why.

EDIT: interestingly (?) on the mac itself there are separate volumes for each of the 3 sets of speakers. Hmm...

nhets

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
stream NAS to speakers

So I have my iTunes library on a network attached storage (Ready NAS Duo). With the update will I be able to stream directly from the NAS to the iPad, and then to remote speakers via Airport Express, or do I still have a Mac turned on running iTunes in the loop?

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
This is probably a dumb question, but please don't flame me.

What is the relationship between an application like Remote and Retina Display Support. My novice understanding of Retina Display is that images - to put it simply - look really good and high res. The Remote app simply serves as a remote control, so what would be the excitement over Remote having Retina Display Support.

I guess I'm overlooking something. Thanks.

EHOLT

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Still missing features

No multitasking or coverflow? C'mon Apple, step it up.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
No multitasking or coverflow? C'mon Apple, step it up.

Multitasking works on both iPhone and iPad.

Works with older AppleTV but just like previous remote app where you can control streaming audio from other devices. No airplay from handheld devices to those systems.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I want to control where the AppleTV sends AirTunes to.

Edit, read you wrong. I'd like to know too since my inlaws still have the old AppleTV.

Also this does bring to mind though, is there better support in the remote app for switching between libraries and devices? The old was horribly slow dropping out of a library and connecting to another.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Is there a way to see TV episode or movie descriptions now? Something that always bugged me about the old version was the inability to see those. I never remember episode titles, so I always go by the descriptions.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
That's what the picture shows in the post here, but that's not how it is in my app. I have three separate speakers to choose from (including the Mac itself) and they all share a single volume control. That said, I am running 3.2 on my iPad not 4.2 so perhaps that's why.

EDIT: interestingly (?) on the mac itself there are separate volumes for each of the 3 sets of speakers. Hmm...

Update your iTunes and restart the apps.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I have a mac mini attached to my receiver. What do I need to run on that to be able to play music through the receiver without needing the TV on? Do I need to be running itunes in the background constantly? I have it pretty cut down for running plex, don't want it using up memory/CPU running itunes all the time.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
This is probably a dumb question, but please don't flame me.

What is the relationship between an application like Remote and Retina Display Support. My novice understanding of Retina Display is that images - to put it simply - look really good and high res. The Remote app simply serves as a remote control, so what would be the excitement over Remote having Retina Display Support.

I guess I'm overlooking something. Thanks.

It's just so that things look clearer on the screen and aren't pixelated such as the app icon and interface items in the app itself.

On another note, I think the only other Apple app that has yet to be updated to support the Retina Display is Keynote Remote. Hopefully that's coming with the next iWork (which is hopefully coming soon too).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.