Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
so, the macbook pro is dead. long live the macbook pro.

i'm still wondering if the classic MBP would be updated to haswell or at least still available for sale.
I would still like the option to upgrade the memory and HD on my own.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
MacRumors got it wrong about the form factor being the same.
They've mentioned the 13-inch is thinner and lighter this time around.

Yes, the 13" is now the same height as the 15". Apple even updated it on their site.

graywolf323

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Well I used best buy credit card for 18 months no interest... LOL

They do have $50 education discount knocking it down to 1249 just wonder if its worth $150 to get retina but lose 128gb storage

Best Buy has told me they will price match Apple's Education store price

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
The graphics options on the rMBP still suck (mine jerks like a $2 whore), I would like 32GB RAM and lack of physical ethernet port is a pain (adaptors are crap on a £3000 laptop). Thinkpad W series and Dell Precision while aren't as 'cool' do offer a lot more flexibility. I know what I'll be buying next time around.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Disappointed that you have to get the top shelf rMBP in order to get a dGPU. :(

Yeah but if you bought the bottom shelf rMBP but bumped up the RAM and SSD to 512GB then the dGPU is <$100 more! Strange pricing points. I don't need the dGPU or the fastest processor but with the other upgrades I might as well get the top shelf!

nsknike

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2005
I'm fairly worried about only having 4GB of ram, if I don't edit videos will that be sufficient? Mostly going to be doing Pages, Keynote and Photoshop. I just don't like the form factor of the Airs, and don't want to pay an extra $90 for 4GB of ram, as I feel that is way overpriced. Thanks for your help.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
They've seemed to keep on the 13" non-retina MBP but it sucks they took away the 15" non-retina. Guess I'll be trying to snag one from the Apple Refurb page or Kijiji.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
The girlfriend was looking to upgrade from her 2006 iMac, but since she has ~60GB worth of photos and music (and this would be her main machine), I can't really recommend the base retina display over last years non-retina, and I don't think she can justify spending $1500 on the next model.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Both models include an upgraded 1080p FaceTime camera as well.

On there website, they state that both only have 720p FaceTime camera's:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 11.48.12 AM.png

mynameis321

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
So how much more different are the rMBP to the airs in terms of dimensions, since they've made it slimmer

what about the non retina MBP, have they made those smaller?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Interestingly only 1 hour more battery life and even less than the 13 inch. I was really hoping for it to be the other way around like in the airs. Other than that nice update.

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
Disappointed that you have to get the top shelf rMBP in order to get a dGPU. :(

Yes. Exactly. I wanted to upgrade to the new one, but somehow I am not willing to work with the integrated GPU. I need it for casual games (Diablo, CS:GO) and I really do not like not having a dedicated GPU...

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
The girlfriend was looking to upgrade from her 2006 iMac, but since she has ~60GB worth of photos and music (and this would be her main machine), I can't really recommend the base retina display over last years non-retina, and I don't think she can justify spending $1500 on the next model.

Get an external harddrive? The portable 1TB ones sell for little over $50, there is no reason to keep this 7 year old system around, unless she still finds the performance acceptable.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
A shame that the €200 lower starting price on rhe 13" is fake. The new base model has only 4gb of RAM whereas the old one had 8gb standard. Adding the missing 4gb adds an extra €100, so the comparable base price is €100 lower. The SSDs are cheaper, though, making the 8/256 model effectively €200 cheaper than before.

Still, with the price difference between an 11" Air and a 13" rMBP down to €300 instead of €500, it's much easier to trade in the portability in favour of the better screen now without breaking the bank. After using a retina iPad for a while, I know I prefer a high res screen. Or I could wait for the rumoured 12" retina Air :) With Broadwell, what a machine that could be!

DrivinWest

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Republic of Texas
9ixWZWH.png

Woohoo! Before you ask, I get an 8% discount on Apple products through my employer. The 2.6GHz and 1TB upgrades should have bumped the price to $3,299.

It was on 10/14/2008 that I purchase the unibody MacBook that this new computer will replace. 5 years between hardware upgrades was unthinkable when I was a PC guy.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
so, the macbook pro is dead. long live the macbook pro.
i'm still wondering if the classic MBP would be updated to haswell or at least still available for sale.
I would still like the option to upgrade the memory and HD on my own.

I've seen a lot of comments to this effect, and honestly, I don't understand the logic. What can you upgrade on a laptop? Not the processor, because that requires a new motherboard. Not the graphics card, because there's no room for it. Without those two, there goes about 95% of any potential performance upgrade.

So what you're left with is RAM and hard drive. Unless your RAM is less than 4 gb, you're unlikely to get any noticeable performance boost by upgrading. Your processor and graphics card will be the limiting factor instead. So, you're left with the hard drive. What are you guys putting on your hard drives that you need several hundred gigabytes worth? If you have thousands of movies or something ridiculous like that, then invest in an external HD. Otherwise, you can probably delete half of that crap that you aren't using. Or move it to an external HD, or even the cloud.

If you are one of those guys sitting there with 2Gb of RAM and a tiny hard drive, everything else in your laptop is probably also out of date. So you really need to just pony up and buy a new one. If any of you guys can't afford to buy a new laptop every 4 years, then you probably shouldn't be buying Apple products to begin with.

Anyway, that's my thinking on the topic. I understand the desire to tinker with things and want to make them better, but honestly guys, just buy a desktop for that. I agree with Apple on this, I don't want to buy a laptop that is 20% thicker/heavier just so a few guys can make upgrades that aren't going to do them any good anyway.

mherz

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2004
Speed Question

I need some help here:
The new top of the line rMBP 13 can be upgraded to a 2.8GHz i7 with Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz.
The previous top of the line rMBP 13 topped out at 3.0 GHz i7 with TB to 3.6 GHz.
Why does the new one have lower GHz? Is it still faster than the old one?
(I guess so, otherwise they wouldnt release it, but the numbers dont make sense.)
Please explain...
Thanks!

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Nothing should ever be discontinued. :rolleyes:

The cMBP isn't discontinued on Apple's site. They kept the price at 1199 also so they are hitting every 100 price point from ipad mini to rMBP. That's what happens when Apple listens to Wall Street.

What's really interesting is the dedicated graphics is only available on the 2599+ configuration of the 15" rMBP. Can't wait to see some benchmarks first before deciding which avenue to pursue or if I should just wait for Broadwell.

Last edited:

maz-o

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
There's a typo in the article. The 13 and 15 do not both have Iris Pro. 13 has Iris, and 15 has Iris Pro.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Price decrease

This is actually very exciting news to those of us who love the (11") Air, but also covet a retina display. If Apple can sell a 13" with Retina display for $1299, they are very, very close to being able to sell an 11" with retina display for $999. Next year, for sure. They might even axe the Air line entirely, if they can get the 11" retina's weight close enough to the 2.38 lbs of the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.