Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wimpy

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Shift 3 has been # for a few years now and I certainly need # more than £. This will be harder for me than learning command-shift-n for new folder!!!

I reject the change.:eek:

That's an italian keyboard, the keys for symbols are slightly different

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I don't understand why would Apple give such a useless shortcut on keyboard. Like Expose, Dashboard, or even LaunchPad. Sure not everyone would buy Magic TrackPad to enjoy those gestures, but OSX shortcut button can be configured, and also still there is hot corners to make those feature works even without keyboard.

Instead of giving us gimmick function on keyboard, why don't Apple just make full sized wireless keyboard w/numeric pad and other dedicated buttons (PgUp/down n others). Give it 3 batteries, I don't care .. but I can't stand the size of current wireless keyboard. It's just too basic. Like typing on a laptop

JNSC

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
it would look way better

Why not use the rocket icon for LaunchPad?

I agree. Six boxes lined up is not as motivating to use a feature as a firing rocket. Also isn't that the same rocket as in the bottom left corner of the Game Center icon?

I just got the old wireless keyboard. Anyone know if the changed keys will do the new Lion features even if the picture is old?:confused::confused:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
While we're all on about things we hate about Apple's keyboards - why no hotkey for 'Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys'?

It's the key marked 'fn'. On my MBP (and I believe it's the same on the wireless keyboards) it's at the bottom left. On the full-sized wired keyboards it's below F13.

Hmm, people actually use the Caps Lock key?

I'm tryin' to think of the last time I wanted to type more than a few letters in a row in caps, and I'm not coming up with anything.

Good point. Caps lock should only be used for typing words for which it is semantically required — typically initialisms. When you want to use uppercase letters for stylistic reasons (such as in a heading), you should apply a style with that attribute.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Why are people asking for backlighting on a WHITE keyed keyboard?
Backlighting on a white keyboard would be fine for the times you need it. When it's, you know, dark? :p

But I'm personally asking for (optional/configurable) backlighting on a black keyed keyboard (like all the keyboards on the current MBPs, MBAs, etc.)

I think the rub is that the current standalone keyboards don't have an ambient light sensor.

Last edited:

eess

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
The Caps Lock key toggles cursor in Adobe Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by interrobang
Hmm, people actually use the Caps Lock key?

The Caps Lock key toggles cursor in Adobe Applications. Normal cursor (for example brush to crosshair) and hence it is important for those who use Photoshop etc.

Thanks for the 1/10 Second Tip. Always wondered, why this key doesn´t work the way it should.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Apple considers that a feature. Apparently quite a large number of users who are not as skilled as you on a keyboard accidentally hit the caps lock key on a fairly regular basis.

My own use of the caps lock key is rare and I can't remember ever hitting it by mistake.

Yes, but it should still be an OPTION. When I'm typing up notes for school and I want to emphasize one word (when text is already formatted, for example, and bolding/underlining therefore isn't appropriate) simply typing ONE word in capitals like THIS is very EASY to do.

Same thing goes for message board posts like this. A lot easier to hit CAPS LOCK for a second rather than using the tags for bold or using the mouse to click the bold button in the toolbar.

So... just wish it was optional, or at least not built in to the hardware so a 3rd party developer could change it.

sensel

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
The key lights could be some other color. Also, usually the monitor is turned down in the dark, otherwise it would be very bright! The color receptors in your eyes will not be working when you look down on the darker keyboard area and white keys even with white light would be fine.
I miss the back lit keys. It is very useful for older men who loose sight for reading in their 40s and for those with site impairments.

Why are people asking for backlighting on a WHITE keyed keyboard?

You could be in a black hole...and as long as that keyboard is in front of a monitor, you will be able to see the keys...

In fact, the light shining through the letters on the white keys would make the letters white on white...meaning you couldn't see what key was what..

That's fail.

sensel

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Just bite the bullet and buy the full size USB wired keyboard from Apple and never spend money on batteries or time fiddling with bluetooth.
It even has two USB plug on each end.
I wish this was an option in place of a bluetooth on iMac purchases. Apple can keep the bluetooth as I would prefer a wired keyboard and mouse.

I don't understand why would Apple give such a useless shortcut on keyboard. Like Expose, Dashboard, or even LaunchPad. Sure not everyone would buy Magic TrackPad to enjoy those gestures, but OSX shortcut button can be configured, and also still there is hot corners to make those feature works even without keyboard.

Instead of giving us gimmick function on keyboard, why don't Apple just make full sized wireless keyboard w/numeric pad and other dedicated buttons (PgUp/down n others). Give it 3 batteries, I don't care .. but I can't stand the size of current wireless keyboard. It's just too basic. Like typing on a laptop

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
4. I recently began to transition from a wired to the wireless that came with my new mac (old wired one is pretty yellow at this point) and the ONE thing I wish I could change is the disturbing absence of the proper "delete" key. I hate hate hate using the "delete" key that actually functions as a "Backspace" key on the wireless keyboard. Just stupid.
Fn + Delete = backspace
Fn + Up = page up

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Same thing goes for message board posts like this. A lot easier to hit CAPS LOCK for a second rather than using the tags for bold or using the mouse to click the bold button in the toolbar.
And that's the reason I'm glad it's not an option. Not for guys like you who want to CAPS one single word, but for the noobs who *still* insist on SHOUTING on the interwebs.

(FWIW, depending your browser, control-B inserts bold tags, control-I inserts italics tags, control-U inserts underline tags, and asterisks can be a nice change of pace. ;))

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Is there a way to change F4 to open Launchpad instead of Dashboard on older keyboards? (without setting them to use standard function keys obviously).

Just open preferences "Mouse & keyboard". In "keyboard shortcuts" any kind of key combination can be set to open Launchpad or any other function. This is very useful for the mostly unused F13 - F19 keys on the larger keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.