Apple Updates TestFlight App With Support for iOS 9, watchOS 2 Features

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its TestFlight beta testing platform and app for iOS to add support for upcoming iOS 9 and watchOS 2 features, letting developers begin internal testing on beta features through Apple's official app testing platform.

iOS 9 and watchOS 2 introduce a range of new features that will improve apps on both the Apple Watch and the iPhone. With iOS 9 support for TestFlight, developers can now begin experimenting with features like App Thinning, which optimizes apps for specific devices to cut down on install size.

With App Thinning enabled, apps will install faster, launch faster, and will take up less space on a device. An iPhone app, for example, won't need to download unnecessary content designed for the iPad.

watchOS 2 support in TestFlight means developers can begin installing and working with the first native apps for the Apple Watch. Native apps are run entirely on the Apple Watch and should speed up app launch times and performance.

Today's update does not include support for the external testing of iOS 9 and watchOS 2 apps, which means developers cannot yet provide apps with iOS 9 and watchOS 2 features to external beta test groups.
This update adds support for testing upcoming iOS 9 features -- including watchOS 2 apps and App Thinning.

Testers can now choose how to receive update notifications for each app they are testing. Also, watchOS 2 beta apps will install automatically when the "Automatic Downloads" setting is turned on in the Apple Watch app.
For those unfamiliar with TestFlight, it's Apple's iOS beta testing platform, designed to let developers recruit beta testers for their apps to work out bugs ahead of releasing apps to the public. Apple acquired TestFlight from Burstly in February of 2014 and relaunched the service alongside iOS 8 as an iOS-integrated testing platform.

TestFlight can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates TestFlight App With Support for iOS 9, watchOS 2 Features

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I am really looking forward to app thinning. I hope that developers will embrace it and Apple makes sure that apps benefit from it a bit even when the developers don’t care.
I'm hoping that too! - But, I'm hoping that Apple will make it an absolute requirement for maybe iOS 10/11. I can't remember what it was [possibly apps for retina displays], but Apple used to put out a message like "All Apps submitted after February 24th must have retina support"..

Who knows? App Thinning may become an absolute requirement in a year or so (giving developers enough time to implement it).

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The sheer variety of initiatives Apple has indicates why they are buying so much leased space worldwide.
Man are they ever into a lot of different markets now, what with their TV 'hobby', the App Store and its app approval process, radio station(s) and AppleMusic, home automation, health apps, mapping, payment services, cars even perhaps? All that in addition to the Mac hardware division and continued software development. Things have never been the same since the introductions of the iPod, and later the iPhone.

Tim must be one super busy fellow these days, with so many critical decisions to be made to keep it all progressing logically and with continuity. I wouldn't wanna be in his shoes.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I'm hoping that too! - But, I'm hoping that Apple will make it an absolute requirement for maybe iOS 10/11. I can't remember what it was [possibly apps for retina displays], but Apple used to put out a message like "All Apps submitted after February 24th must have retina support"..

Who knows? App Thinning may become an absolute requirement in a year or so (giving developers enough time to implement it).
I haven't read anything about App Thinning but it seems like this is something the App Store installer should handle when it installs. Sort of like how back in the NeXT days you picked which architectures to install when installing a new application. What do developers have to do to enable this feature?

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
That icon kind of reminds me of the old Geocities under contruction GIFs.

TBH I don’t see it because it’s not referencing any under construction imagery, it’s a human-purpose tape measure around a taller app icon, denoting app thinning. Very smart.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I haven't read anything about App Thinning but it seems like this is something the App Store installer should handle when it installs. What do developers have to do to enable this feature?
Interesting. But can I see my Mum or my Grandparents doing this? - Solid idea, but it's just not simple enough for Apple to implement in my eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.