Apple Upgrade on Preorder Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hArrisburger, Sep 7, 2016.

1. hArrisburger macrumors regular

How will it work? I know in the past that you needed to be in person at the Apple Store, but the app appears to allow you to start a new Apple Upgrade with an existing account.

I am currently on Sprint (I know, long story) and want to port over to Verizon. Has anyone done this on a preorder before?

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

According to the site you have to reserve the iPhone online for an in store appointment just like last year. The app just checks if your phone is eligible for the upgrade.

3. hArrisburger thread starter macrumors regular

Got it. Unfortunately I am traveling that day. How was availability for appointments? I could potentially schedule it near where I will be or back home later that evening.

4. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Just keep in mind you need at least 1 hour there. Last year att system was almost down.

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Last year I made the reservation the Saturday morning after the Friday preorder day and their were plenty of slots available and plenty of phones. Other than the new jet black color I can't foresee any shortages this year either.

6. AustinBoilers macrumors newbie

Another upgrader here, I've never upgraded with a carrier before. I made sure I am eligible for an upgrade through AT&T. My understanding of the process based on this thread is:

- I pre-order the iPhone 7 on the Apple Store iOS app.
    - I go to the Apple Store on launch day.
    - I give them my iPhone 6, I get the iPhone 7.

I know AT&T has an upgrade page that obviously only has the 6S right now. Would that have the iPhone 7 on pre-order day as well?

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Do you have to activate the phone on one of the big 4? I couldn't do this with cricket could I?

8. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

This year is different. You can select to enroll online at time of preorder. I spoke with apple today plus it is on their site.

9. imlynxy macrumors 65816

The most advanced company in the world cannot check your credit online :) Shame.

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Hopefully this will expedite the process. Mine went pretty smooth last year but I read some horror stories on here that were cringe worthy. I was hoping to avoid the whole in store experience this year but hopefully enrolling will make things move faster. Filling out this stuff at midnight is going to be fun;)

11. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Kind of a side question, but my wife will be joining the upgrade program too this year. I joined last year for the 6s. Can I get both of our phones, or does she have to do it herself?

12. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

If we are already on the program can we enroll online for the credit check or does the credit check have to be done in store?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I'm pretty sure you can, but you will be responsible for starting both loans

13. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Interesting. I wonder if that's two hard inquiries (Seems unlikely, but who knows), or simply paying for both phones. I'm happy to do the latter.

14. amro macrumors 6502

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Can you show me where? Link above shows reservation again, apple store rep told me the same thing.

16. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

Pretty sure thats still dependent on the credit check though

17. amro macrumors 6502

Correct. Not a problem there. Need 2 forms of identification as well.

18. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

I know t-mobile needs to be done in stores. Everything else is online.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Here is more proof.

Attached Files:

19. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I have a feeling that once preorders start that link will simply allow us to make the upgrade reservation but the actual credit check will still take place in store like last year.

20. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Not according to the people I talked to yesterday at Apple. Multiple people confirmed it you are on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint, you will not have to step foot in the door. Everything will be completed online.

21. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

So I'm mailing back my upgrade eligible phone? Don't they have to physically inspect the phone to make sure it's not damaged?

22. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Ah I didn't ask about existing customers. I just asked about new people enrolling. Sorry for the confusion.

23. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Oh ok sorry. I was talking about people already in the program upgrading to the new phone.

24. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Had another rep saying that it is the same, you can make your reservation online, but it has to be bought in the store. Weird, but I hope RyCan3 is correct.

Attached Files: