Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Had another rep saying that it is the same, you can make your reservation online, but it has to be bought in the store. Weird, but I hope RyCan3 is correct.

I guess it depends on how much information the online reservation process asks for. If it doesn't ask for your SS# then it will be just like last year where they will do the whole credit check and line activiation in store.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
The more I think about it, the more I contemplate doing AT&T Next instead of the Apple upgrade program.

Don't sweat it. Last year was my first "in-store" experience because of the AUP and it was pretty painless. Got there at my reservation time window and was in and out within 20 minutes on launch day. My Apple store is only 5 minutes away so that helps.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Don't sweat it. Last year was my first "in-store" experience because of the AUP and it was pretty painless. Got there at my reservation time window and was in and out within 20 minutes on launch day. My Apple store is only 5 minutes away so that helps.
I'm going to be out of town. I'm debating if I want to deal with hard credit check every year and if I really need AppleCare. Those are the main differences.

keeganxt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So if you're enrolling as a new apple upgrade customer, get your appt. window at the apple store and bring your old phone, how does that $250 gift card get applied to the upgrade installment plan, just a lower monthly payment like any other loan?

wrightchad1

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
New York (Upstate)
I just chatted with an apple Rep. at first he was confident that the process would be 100% online, then he confirmed that if you are signing up for the IUP for the first time, it will require you to make an appointment for launch day and to come in. See quote below:

"You’ll have to have the availability on your credit report— and also, I -just- got new information about the Upgrade Program. When you pre-order with the Upgrade Program, you’ll be able to schedule a time to go in to the retail store to get on the Upgrade Program— the sooner you pre-order, the sooner your time to go in will be.

I expect it’s to account for server issues during launch, but yes, you’ll have to go in-store for launch to get on the Upgrade Program."

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Well I just chatted with another rep as my phone isn't showing as enrolled from last year, and they were 100% sure it could all be done online this year, matching what they told RyCan3 and opposite of what the previous reps told me. So I really have no idea, guess we will find out tonight.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I am contemplating going with the Apple Upgrade Program this year. I like the idea of having an unlocked phone, but picking it up in person on launch day? Not too excited about that.

wrightchad1

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
New York (Upstate)
I dont much care if it is shipped or if I have to go get it on launch day, I just want to make sure the order goes through tonight. I really want to be on the IUP and have an unlocked phone in case i decide to ditch verizon somewhere down the line. + Applecare being built in is nice.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I am contemplating going with the Apple Upgrade Program this year. I like the idea of having an unlocked phone, but picking it up in person on launch day? Not too excited about that.

I set my time last year at 10:00, so two hours after they opened and I was in and out in 15 mins.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm gonna preorder tonight, but I will need to make the in-store reservation for that Sunday. I'll be out of town on Friday and there's no Apple Store where I'll be.

varsityhero

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2013
Hopefully this goes smoothly tonight for me. I'll be upgrading this time around as I enrolled in it last year.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I applied for the Apple Upgrade when I pre-ordered. Filling out the application wasted valuable time and to add to a bad situation my credit card kept getting refused, despite I was getting confirmation from my CC company that the charge was approved. It finally dawned on me that the card I was using wasn't the default card for my Apple ID. So when I used the card assoc. with my Apple ID it went thru not problem. So the delay cost me a few weeks with my shipping date as I ended up with an Oct 4-10 shipping date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.