Apple upgrades my 2010 MacBook Pro to the 2011 MBP 34 days after purchase!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MmmPancakes, Feb 25, 2011.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Hi guys. I thought I would share this anecdote in case it helps anyone who is in a similar situation.

I bought the low-end 2010 MacBook Pro 13” on Jan. 22, 2010. I had been following the rumors and knew that an update was coming soon. However, a work project drove my decision to push forward and just pull the trigger on the purchase.

I was somewhat impressed with this week’s MBP upgrades. Expecting no results, on a whim I called my local Apple Store (The Domain, in Austin, TX). Despite being 34 days from the date of my purchase, the manager of the Apple Store let me upgrade to the new 2011 MBP 13” at no cost and with no hassle. I brought my old unit in, and left with a brand new, off-the-shelf MBP with Apple Care.

I asked the store manager what the office policy was. He advised me that machines purchased within 30 days are eligible for free exchange in the event of a product refresh. Even being four days past the cutoff, he was happy to let me exchange the product, which was very surprising to me.

This is further proof to me that Apple’s customer service is the best in the business. I’m proud to be a customer.

2. dragon13 macrumors member

dragon13

That's great news. Did you purchase your computer online or in the store?

I just got a new MBP thru apple care on Jan 26th, and am thinking of visiting the store tomorrow to see if it'll be possible for me to exchange it...

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Awesome... EXCHANGE THOSE SUCKERS WHILE YOU CAN!

4. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Awesome, I had the same thing happen to me except mine was a refurbished one. I actually sent it in today, Apple paid for the 2 day shipping. I should get my money back and be able to buy the new one at the store by next week. For now, back to the old 2006 MBP.

5. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Yes, and please remember to ask nicely and be respectful. And if they can't honor an exchange, don't lose your cool. This is a courtesy by Apple and not guaranteed.

That said, I think if you're within 40 days or so you have a good chance of getting upgraded to the newest models. Just speak with a manager.

6. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Nice. How many days had it been since your purchase date?

7. doofoo macrumors member

Same thing for me. I purchased on the 22nd as well I think it was. I called them on the release day just wondering what they would say.

Now they are accepting my i7 2.8 HR Glossy 15" return for a full refund and I purchased a BTO HR Glossy 15" 2.2Ghz machine this time around for 200 bucks cheaper than the i7 2.8.. Good deal! :)

8. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Bought it on February 1, shipped out the next day but didn't arrive until the 9th due to the blizzards that week. So technically, I missed the 14 day period by a day or two as opposed to 3 weeks. Before that, my first MBP was bought in 2006.

Obviously, if you go this route.. Being within a month will get your chances of being returned without problems higher. Being closer to a refresh will get you more sympathy points. And yes, being kind and respectful will bring a better conversation and make them want to help you. These calls are recorded and I am sure Apple can use them against you if you're not nice or being immature.

Just remember, they want to keep loyal customers. They'll do anything they can to keep you happy and spread good word for the company. You have to ask yourself if your demands are reasonable before doing so, and I justifiably believe mine were.

This is how my conversation went.. Somewhat..

"Hi this is _____ speaking for Apple, how can I help you?"

"Uhm yes, Good morning______... I was wondering if it would be possible to return my ______.. I just found out there was a refresh yesterday and I purchased my ______ not too long ago. My 14 day return policy expired by only around 1 or 2 days. Is there any possible way for me to return this _____ for the newer ______ and for you to help me out?"

He asked for the order number and email to verify... For some reason his computer took a while to load the pages.. So I took advantage of this and did some small talk about how I waited 5 years before upgrading only to have a refresh come out 3 weeks afterwards... Little details that I thought would help my case...

Then it was all good from there.

9. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

I have all of you beat.

I bought my 2010 15" November 30th. Walked in, they let me walk out with a brand new 2011 15" at no cost!!! Even exchange!!!!!!
    :D:D:D

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Hey guys, what does the $15 2-3 day shipping option mean? Why would you pay more to ship in 2-3 days when they already ship within 24 hours? Or does it mean I will get the computer in 2-3 days?

11. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

This is incredible. Was there much of a hassle? Are you under the impression this is common?

12. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Dude I know. I have no idea. I boxed it all up, walked into the store and asked to speak to a manager. I explained my situation to him and he just said "Sure we can accommodate you." Told one of the sales people to finish the exchange at the Genius Bar. Done deal. :D:D

Cost to me = $0

13. tdream macrumors 65816

Are you a hot girl by any chance?

14. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

:d

15. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Sadly, I'm an overweight 33-year old male. Come to think of it, I'm hideous.

16. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

too many pancakes???.. j/k...all the best with the new machine! Good info.

17. Squiishy macrumors newbie

I brought mine under 30 days ago but can't find the reciept :/ Is there anyway of showing first boot up date or something like that?

18. incongruity macrumors member

If you bought it from Apple directly, you don't have to worry - it's in their system by serial number. If you bought it elsewhere, go back and ask for a copy of the invoice. Most places should be able to help.

Good luck!

19. infamous84 macrumors member

would it be better if i called apple to do this? or just go into an apple store, i bought mine in october, dont know if its gonna work but worth a try.

20. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

was a receipt emailed to you also?

they may be able to look it up via serial number also.

might as well try.

21. Frayate macrumors newbie

I brought my macbook pro about 28 days ago but I brought it on ebay. I still have the reciept, will they accept it?

22. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

what kind of receipt....from a genuine reseller?

23. Frayate macrumors newbie

Well I have the receipt he gave me + the ebay transaction. Im not sure if he was a genuine reseller but he was selling various macbook pros of all sizes.

24. jimithing macrumors member

i spoke to apple.

the return policy is now 30 days not 14

and the restocking fee's are NO MORE.

and it can be open... obviously haha

25. incongruity macrumors member

I think you're definitely into a gray area. How long ago was the purchase? Maybe if you say it was a gift... but then again, it is a good machine and unless you are doing processor intensive tasks, you may not really benefit hugely from the differences. But, yes, getting a shiny/new one sure is tempting.

You've got nothing to lose, so go in to a store and try it!