Apple Upgrading Existing iCloud Subscribers to More Affordable Plans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just a day after unveiling new pricing for iCloud, Apple has begun emailing existing iCloud subscribers to notify them that the company is upgrading their accounts to the new price points and will be refunding them the difference. However, users will be allowed to keep the same storage sizes.

[​IMG]
    For example, a user subscribed to the 25 GB plan, which is no longer an option under the new iCloud pricing, will have their price reduced from $40 a year to $11.99 a year. The discounted price is in line with the new $0.99 a month price for 20 GB, although established iCloud customers do get an extra 5 GB. However, once a user changes their plan away from "legacy plans" like the 25 GB, they cannot return to them.

Apple says the new price points are in effect due to iCloud Drive, which lets users store and access data from any of their devices. The launch of both iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite will see the launch of iCloud Drive this fall.

Article Link: Apple Upgrading Existing iCloud Subscribers to More Affordable Plans

2. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

I already changed from the old 15GB plan to the new 20GB plan earlier today. I hope I get included in this.

3. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

4. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Probably not considering that YOU CHANGED...

Reading comprehension? :mad:

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Prorated refund, thats the right thing to do. Awesome.

6. proline macrumors 6502a

Why on earth would you change away from your old plan if you still had time left on it that you paid for? Maybe think things through?

7. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

Ignoring the childish predicate to your comment, I would point out that the new plan (0.99 x 12) costs less than my old plan. Therefore, I should be due a prorated price.

----------

Because the new one costs less, and I assumed I would get a refund for the unused portion of the old plan at some point.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm still waiting to see how Apple will handle the iPhoto/Aperature to iCloud Photos migration on OS X Yosemite before I upgrade my iCloud storage plan.

9. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Nice move, though in this day they really should just give everyone at LEAST a 20GB free minimum...

10. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

ignore all the unnecessarily rude replies. i can verify that you will be refunded the prorated amount. i use PayPal for my iTunes account and PayPal already emailed me and told me about my refund.

11. NastyComputers macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Sweet! I just got my email from Apple. I almost changed it myself earlier today too. Good thing I didn't cause I'm sure I would have missed out on the lower cost.

12. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

The 25gb version makes perfect sense. I wonder what they'll change my wife to: she has the 15gb plan right now.

13. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Apple, how dare you give me free gigabytes I don't want or need. Who do you think you are to give me something I didn't ask for? What gives you the right to make changes to my....

.....oh wait, I thought they were giving me a free album again.

Free music, free gigabytes, what a bunch of jerks.

14. lk400 macrumors 6502a

You do not deserve the harsh comments you have received. It was a logical thing to do. I hope you get some refund.

15. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

That's why I didn't switch yet. Although, I don't know if they'll grandfather us in for this, I think it's going to be an all or nothing with the way photo storage works.

Gary

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm confused a bit. I had 15GB, and I didn't realize how tight it was. I was nearly out of space. I was bumped to 20GB.

When I look at options, the next one up is 200GB. I can't opt for the 25?

17. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I've got the 15GB, wish I had the 25GB, that would have given me an extra 5GB for the same price as the new 20GB plan. Oh well, if wishes were fishes....

Gary

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm upgrading to the extra 20GB as soon as I get home.

19. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I upgraded to 200GB this evening to accompany my 1TB Dropbox. I envision my iCloud storage as more of a way to sync things between iOS devices (such as photos taken with them) while keeping the space low on the device itself, storing backups, and keeping documents synced with my Macs. Dropbox is more for archiving important things, such as design projects, photography, and other files that I might want to protect or sync between multiple Macs or perhaps coworkers who have PCs. Though if iCloud seems to be working well I might switch to it full time but at 500GB. I don't need the full 1TB that Dropbox supports now. I usually use Droplr on a cheaper grandfathered plan to quickly share smaller files with coworkers and clients anyway. Cloud storage is so cheap nowadays why not have several?

20. dazed macrumors 6502a

So is this like dropbox and you have a folder which is always synced? Can you choose which folder?

21. markgpearse macrumors regular

22. GhostSeq macrumors member

Are you kidding? I saw they changed the plans and immediately went from 15GB to a higher one because I could never back up my iphone on the 15GB.
    But I didnt get any email about being grandfathered in or any refunds or anything.
    WTF?

23. Alon1 macrumors member

I think that each Apple device that you purchase should come with a certain amount of iCloud storage (on a per-device basis.) Doesn't make sense that a person who owns one iPod and a person who owns 5 devices would have to use the same amount of storage or that you would get panelized for spending more on hardware by having to buy more storage. After all, a lot of the storage goes towards backups for the devices. It would also be a nice perk towards those of us who buy higher capacity iDevices to get more iCloud storage, since they're paying a premium for space. I'm not one of them but what's fair is fair.

Not gonna happen but one can dream:)

24. rhaezorblue, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

I did the same thing - am pretty pissed. I've logged a support ticket about it and will be calling Apple about it tomorrow morning. We shouldn't be punished for noticing the option to upgrade sooner than they sent an email out - they should take care of ALL of their subscribers!

Edit 9/11/14: Spoke to a senior apple customer service rep, and she contacted engineering, then called me back a few hours later. Those of us with the old 15 GB of total storage were going to be bumped up to the 20 GB plan anyway, so I didn't "miss out" on anything. The only way you could have gotten an extra 5 GB for free on top of the first free 5 GB is it you previously subscribed to the more expensive $40 old plan. There was no special reward for those of us with 15 GB's total.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You mean for your Mac? Eh, that would be problematic. A 200GB plan would only be enough for the 128GB Macbook Air. And even the 1TB plan wouldn't suffice for an iMac.