Apple upgrading iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S for a fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rogeliojeda, Jun 24, 2011.

1. rogeliojeda macrumors regular

I was daydreaming today and came to this conclusion, would be possible that Apple upgrade our iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S? be this I mean that we only take our iPhone 4 to an apple store and they for a fee upgrade the A4 chip to A5? And with a little luck maybe a little more RAM. Lately I’ve been thinking that theres no need to have a new iPhone and that if Apple is going just to release a minor update, why spend more than we have to? I know nobody will force us to buy the newest phone on the market, but that would be great.
    Spending 100 bucks for a upgrade like that would be great.
    And remember, Apple has already send to developers an iPhone 4 with the A5 chip, so its possible.

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

While your day dreaming, why can't Apple just upgrade the iPhone 3GS's screen to the same Retina Display that the iPhone 4 uses at the store for a small fee, I mean their both the same 3.5" screen right?

Or why can't they just convert my Black iPhone 4 to a White model, I mean why spend more money than I have to if all they can do is just swap the casing, simple right.

#fail

You just joined and I already want to add you to my ignore list.

4. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

That's what she said...

Sorry couldn't resist.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because even if they use the same type of logic board and the only upgrade is a faster processor. Doing that upgrade on old iPhones would involve desoldering and soldering a new chip on something that most people at the genius bar can't do. Plus there probably will be a lot more changes besides just the processor.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Apple would never do that.. too much to lose lol nobody wake this guy up.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Have they done this in the past? No. It doesn't make sense business wise and is just a fantasy and unfortunately Apple doesn't go off customer fantasies or else my iPhone would be powered by unicorn blood and never need to be charged.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I lol'd :)

OP, you must have never taken an iPhone apart. It is that hard and it's not going to happen. This isn't like you open a Mac and take out some memory and the CPU by opening some clips. They are soldered on in the iPhone.

Edit: Or just read mrkramers more eloquent version of the above. :)

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Usually when I daydream I try not to mix it with meth or draino.... What possible motivation would Apple have for doing this? Thinking you're going to be able to purchase two phones for $300 is just....just....well, it's not happening.

10. Biolizard, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Biolizard macrumors 6502

Any money saved by replacing only the logic board in the iPhone 4 rather than the entire device would be lost to the cost of labour. Wages in developed countries are higher than where the iPhone is assembled (notice how it's often cheaper to just buy a new, let's say, washing machine, rather than get someone to fix it); the guy or girl who does the actual work to your phone behind the scenes in the Apple Store doesn't come cheap. Plus Apple has to put in place the resources to do this, which also costs.

Overall, you'd probably end up paying more than if you just bought a new iPhone.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You answered your own question, you were daydreaming.
    Now wake up back to reality:D

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Dude, that's NEVER gonna happen. Apple will never be that generous lol. Keep dreamin'.

13. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

that is about the most crazy thing ive heard, like really crazy!

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It'll never happen.

But perhaps someday – maybe when China decides to play hardball – upgrades will be offered to recover the rare elements from the old phones...

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

He, he,..... might be best to just go back to sleep. :(

Next time you wake up maybe you will be thinking a bit clearer.

16. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

You can rest assured the upgrade will cost something on the order of $600 off contract and $200 with renewal :D

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

The circuit boards are machine assembled; humans can't do work that fine.

Even 20 years ago IBM would not repair motherboards; they simply replaced them since it cost more to find out what was wrong with it than to replace it. It is not just the cost of finding out what's wrong with it, it is the cost of fixing it, which may not be possible if something is blown where it can't be fixed.

I can't picture anyone who works at an Apple store having the skill to take apart a circuit board and change something. This is not to be derogatory of the Apple store people. The Apple store people can do diagnostics and upgrade memory, but most repairs go out of the store anyway.

If they did offer upgrades, they would simply replace the whole thing with a new phone.

I doubt they repair iPhones in the apple store - it goes to a central place where they can do it.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's not rude to be blunt about the situation. Also, why are you asking questions that defy common sense? Maybe you're trolling.
    Daydream all you want, but understand that it's not going to happen. We have a better chance of seeing an 8" ipad than the unrealistic fantasy you dreamed up.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Mabye they can do this upgrade OTA (over the air):eek:

20. LoganT macrumors 68020

21. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Its called sell your iphone 4 in craigslist for at least 300 dollars and buy the iphone 5 for 300 dollars.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9