Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A hidden web page has been discovered on Apple servers containing a job description for a "talented engineer" to work on a "critical infrastructure component" and an invitation to apply for the position at the Cupertino-based company.

DHiibycXYAErdwH.jpg-large-800x938.jpeg

The web page, originally located at us-west-1.blobstore.apple.com but since taken down, was discovered on Saturday by ZDNet's Zach Whittaker and describes a role within Apple that involves "exabytes" of data and "tens of thousands" of servers, as well as "millions" of disks. The introductory text reads:
Hey there! You found us. We are looking for a talented engineer to develop a critical infrastructure component that is to be a key part of the Apple ecosystem.
Applicants for the role must have the ability to design and implement scalable apps and web services, and be familiar with Java 8, distributed systems, and modern servers, according to the job description. The exact nature of the job is not given, but given that it relates to web services, it could have iCloud, Apple Music, iTunes or the App Store in mind.

It's unclear when the role was actively being sought, but the fact that it is a hidden page suggests Apple was betting on the possibility that potential candidates for the job would have no difficulties uncovering it.

Article Link: Apple Uses Hidden Web Page to Recruit for a 'Critical' Cloud Infrastructure Role

Reactions: Sunny1990

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Siri, iCloud, maps, services... haven't you seen what's already possible on the other side? Even bixby does a better job then Siri already. Google maps beats Apple maps in every way as does google now.

Does Bixby speak and understand 20 Languages and even more dialects, ......guess not.

Apple Maps has the same quality in the country you are in as Google.

Comment

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Does Bixby speak and understand 20 Languages and even more dialects, ......guess not.

Apple Maps has the same quality in the country you are in as Google.
Apple maps doesn't offer cycling routes in the country I'm in and can't offload either. I had rather Siri understands 2 languages very well than 20 half. It's useless. And with the pace Apple is developing lately its already a lost race.

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
The most scariest part of this message is Java 8. They've revealed a key component of how things work behind the scenes. Won't be long before it's exploited.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apple maps doesn't offer cycling routes in the country I'm in and can't offload either. I had rather Siri understands 2 languages very well than 20 half. It's useless. And with the pace Apple is developing lately its already a lost race.

Hahaha, I just tried to route (Google) one from my home to my job, the route it displayed sucks, better no route than one that is not accurate at all.

Comment

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Siri, iCloud, maps, services... haven't you seen what's already possible on the other side? Even bixby does a better job then Siri already. Google maps beats Apple maps in every way as does google now.
Apple maps gets me to where I need to go. So it doesn't matter how much better google maps is, I will still default to Apple maps on my iPhone.

I know what's possible, and the reality is that third party services will always lose out to apple's ability to integrate their hardware, software and services together.

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Whilst Google's voice assistant is better than Siri at quite a few things - Siri is easily the second best in the industry. Alexa, Bixby are all awful.

Plus Google is only better if you're using an Android phone. Vice versa for Siri. So.

Maps is no different in my area - Street view and measuring distances is the only advantage Google Maps has (and the later I have to do in my web browser anyway)

Comment

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I have not experience, qualifications, or anything much in the way of understanding of what is required. And I found the job recruitment page on a rumour site. Can I get the job?
If you are talented enough to find the ad then I think you're qualified.

Reactions: Huck
Comment

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Since this is the greatest country ever and I am as qualified as your president I will apply. Have near zero knowledge, no education in this space but I sure want to swing that e-penis around with Exabytes of storage.

Keep your eyes on a coming press release from Apple about hiring me. :cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.