Apple Video Game system?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thewireman, Nov 9, 2007.

1. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

Does anybody think Apple would come up a video game system in the future? It would be so sweet...:D

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Define video game system and define the extent of future :D

3. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

maybe, but maybe not.. the market is saturated enough..
    they tried once with the pippen didn't they? did it actually come out?

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

6. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You're not the first one to suggest that, nor will you be the last.... ;) :cool:

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the video game market is a little too small and a little too crowded for apple to be playing.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm sure some people said the same thing about the phone market too though... ;)

10. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Very good point, ALOT of markets are crowded but the market will always make room for great products and elegant design. Look at cars for example.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the phone market may be crowded, but it's a huge market that can accommodate new products. remember, apple's initial goal is only one percent, and all you need is a quality product to break through. there's no reliance on third party companies like there is in the video game industry, an industry so small that one percent wouldn't cut it. no third party developer would produce games for your console. developers are already complaining about the existence of three consoles (plus two handhelds); i hardly think they'd be happy about the emergence of another player.

12. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

siurpeeman has it exactly right. To succeed in the console video game market requires a robust marketplace of third party developers willing to port their games to your platform. It's difficult to imagine how Apple would find success given that fact.

13. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Just imagine being able to download brand new games directly to the console with the ITMS instead of having to go out and buy a disc. And no more scratched discs or anything.. sounds good to me!

14. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Isn't that what people said about the XBOX? And continued to say while its sales paled in comparison to the PS2 throughout its whole life. Second time around, the XBOX is doing really well. But it also helps that it has the Halo franchise that so many people are obsessed with (for some reason).

I don't think Apple would bother with the videogame market. I'd see them as a very Nintendo company (which I hate) if they did.

15. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

The problem with video game systems is that you need games to play on them (i.e.- an ecosystem of players and developers) and that doesn't happen overnight.

Also, even though there is no real advantage to dedicated hardware in the market anymore, the market hasn't yet developed to the point that the various systems that abound are compatible with each other. All the good games are customized for proprietary junk like "DirectX" or for the various processors of a particular gaming system (or both.)

Lately, there is whiff of convergence in the air and like as not, in a few years you will see more and more games focussing on open and easily portable alternatives to DirectX like OpenGL and moving away from proprietary hardware like Playstation.

That's when games will happen on the Mac and probably you will be using your AppleTV for the purpose at that time as it will have a optical drive, and be even more hackable than today.

16. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Why can't they just buy a large stake in nintendo and start throwing their weight around?

17. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Because Nintendo is a 100+ year old company and probably wouldn't allow it?

Althought Nintendo and Apple have many similarities, at this point in their respective histories, Apple buying Nintendo is a ridiculous idea..

18. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

No-> Apple like profit, and their hardware is always profitable.

The gaming industry is a money-drainer, and there's nothing to say it will last in its present format anyway.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that's true. microsoft and sony lose money on every console sold. i don't think apple would ever put itself in such a situation.

20. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I always hear this, but businesses aren't in the business of losing money, so then why would they even enter the market?

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

For Sony, it's about getting Blu-ray into your hands.

For MS, it's about game sales (as with Sony) and also about getting you into the whole social-live-online-connected thing.

For both, it's about being the next PS2, and utterly dominating game sales and leading an industry. Apple don't work like this. They want their cash up front. If you've studied economics you'll know that mono/oligopolies don't always behave with immediate profit in mind ;)

22. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i don't understand why people don't get it.

APPLE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT GAMES!

Why would a computer company that doesn't even bother to put decent videocards in their systems go through all the trouble/risk associated with releasing a video game console.

Its never going to happen. Sorry guys.

23. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Um, sort of. There is also the profit from licensing titles to the system, which is significant. Plus both design their own titles, and let's not forget the importance of corporate branding, which is, when considering the loss or even break even point of developing and cheap selling a system, the equivalent of blanket advertising.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Actually, Microsoft is turning a profit on Xbox 360's at this point. They enter knowing their hardware will turn a loss so they can get an installed base and sell games. Then, after a couple of years the hardware becomes profitable, and a good chunk of adopters buy when the hardware becomes cheaper anyway. Apple is just now seeing the benefit of more games developed for its OS. I think they'll be happy with that growing for a while.

25. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Microsoft could start a fire if they went internal HD-DVD before christmas. Not this "solution"Sony has a good market with the ps3, BR and their online network. if apple wants to go for a gaming system i doubt it will be based on a disc format. Apple will go online with games through :apple:Tv or a Mac. Not a console, but a personal gaming machine.