Apple Voluntarily Recalls Some Older Three-Prong Wall Plug Adapters Due to Risk of Electrical Shock

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced a voluntary recall of three-prong AC wall plug adapters designed for use primarily in Hong Kong, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.

[​IMG]

Apple states that, in very rare cases, affected Apple three-prong wall plug adapters may break and create a risk of electrical shock if touched. These wall plug adapters shipped with Mac and certain iOS devices between 2003 and 2010 and were also included in the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit.

Apple says it is aware of six incidents worldwide and asks customers to stop using affected plug adapters, citing customer safety as a "top priority." Apple will exchange affected wall plug adapters with a new adapter, free of charge.

Affected three-prong wall plug adapters are white, with no letters in the inside slot where it attaches to an Apple power adapter. New adapters are white with gray on the inside portion that attaches to the power adapter.

The recall does not affect any USB power adapters, like those included in the box with iPhones and iPads, according to Apple.

If you are impacted, read the recall program details and then head to Apple's Get Support page to initiate the exchange process.

In January 2016, Apple initiated a similar voluntary recall program for two-prong AC wall plug adapters designed for use in Continental Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Argentina, and Brazil due to the same risk of electrical shock if touched. These wall plug adapters shipped from 2003 to 2015.

Article Link: Apple Voluntarily Recalls Some Older Three-Prong Wall Plug Adapters Due to Risk of Electrical Shock

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Will have to go through my adapters as I have a whole ton of 3 pronged ones

3. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

Prepare for the Forbes article "Apple Admits Its Charging Bricks Have A Huge Problem"

4. SlaunchaMan macrumors newbie

SlaunchaMan

These must be fairly old; I bought the world travel kit over a year ago and mine is the newer one with the gray on the inside.

EDIT: I found the receipt. Mine is from April 17, 2015 and is the newer model.

5. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

This happened to a 2-pronged US one. My kid walked past it and bumped into it sideways and the pronged part that slides off snapped, remaining plugged into the wall and leaving exposed metal contacts.

6. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Some of the affected units would be nearly 20 years old???

7. MadDawg2020 macrumors regular

Okay - thanks for the update - I was worried about you!

8. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I am a secret agent, and always carry a handful of these three-prong things. Whenever I am chased, I drop them on the ground because they make for terrific caltrops.

9. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I have a whole lot of these all over the place, if I find one I might bring it in to the Apple Store to get it replaced.

10. Apple a Day macrumors newbie

Apple a Day

This makes me mad because I went through this recall process months ago for the recall program for the other plugs in the worldwide adaptor kit, excluding those mentioned in this article. They didn’t just swap my adaptor kit out because these were specifically excluded. Now I have to go through the entire process for the remaining adaptors. Lame Apple.

11. az431 Suspended

az431

Your expectation is that someone at Apple should have employed their psychic powers to predict that a product not under recall when you went it in, would be subject to a recall in the future?

o_O
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2019 ---
    You dodged a bullet.

12. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Yup, I've got one of those. From my 2009 MBP when I lived in the UK.

13. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Yeah, long time ago though. The ones that came with the Original iPhone or 3G? I do recall getting a replacement with the green dot.

14. oeyvind macrumors member

oeyvind

and the new ones still have no metal contact for earth grounding!

15. AngerDanger, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

That is of course assuming you haven't impaled your foot on one of those bad boys first. Between these and LEGO, I'm beginning to think the uk has it out for feet.

16. LoadStar macrumors member

Hmm. I have some of the Apple World Travel Adapter Kits, and they have a grey insert but with *no* lettering. Apple only references a white insert with no lettering, and a grey insert with lettering.

17. DrBrush macrumors member

Those pictures of the old vs new nicely highlight a problem with all the newer Apple plugs, which is that they are designed for people with smaller fingers. I find it physically quite difficult to grip the new plugs and remove them from the wall. But hey, light and thin must be better, eh?

18. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

Apple's website states

"Affected three-prong wall plug adapters are white, with no letters in the inside slot where it attaches to an Apple power adapter. New adapters are white with gray on the inside portion that attaches to the power adapter."

This suggests that all grey ones are unaffected regardless of lettering. Interestingly the one shown as broken in the article looks like a new one (with no lettering).

19. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I respect your resourcefulness. You should also keep a few G Note 7's in your other pocket for occasional claymore operation.

20. Kebabselector, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Just to update my original tweet....

https://twitter.com/kebablog/status/1121415705428099072

Also just noticed only one (the correct version according to Apple) has the CE marking which I assume means they shouldn't have been shipped in the UK - they are marked with a bs 5733/a number - but I thought CE was the UK/European standard marking.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

And they come in "Space" Grey?

22. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

This was a newer iPad charger, not one of the little iPhone cube chargers. The kind where you can slide off the prong piece and replace it with an international piece or an extension cord. That part slid off and broke in half at the same time, and remained in the wall with the prongs exposed.

23. lunarworks macrumors 68000

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Yes it is....

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2019 ---
    Ironically it's for safety - the plugs are fused and the larger earth pin pushes a slider in the socket allowing access to the live/neutral pins.

25. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

The three-prong plugs are also used in Ireland, though I'm sure anyone potentially affected by this issue in Ireland would already know that. :)