Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple VP of Special Projects Paul Deneve Removed From Leadership Webpage [Update: Still at Apple]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this evening updated its executive profiles page to remove Paul Deneve, suggesting he may no longer be with the company or has left the executive team. Hired in 2013, Paul Deneve served as Apple's vice president of special projects, reporting to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Paul Deneve came to Apple from luxury fashion house Yves Saint Laurent, where he served as CEO. Deneve, who joined Apple as it was working on the Apple Watch, also worked at several other luxury fashion labels like Courreges, Nina Ricci, and Lanvin.

Paul Deneve's executive profile, which has now been removed from Apple's website.

During his time at Apple, Deneve has had a hand in marketing the Apple Watch. He was involved in projects like the massive floral window installation at Selfridges, and worked alongside Apple's head of retail Angela Ahrendts getting the Apple Watch in high-end boutiques around the world.

Deneve's LinkedIn page continues to list him as a vice president at Apple.

Update: According to Apple, Paul Deneve is still at the company, but is now reporting to Jeff Williams instead of Tim Cook.

Article Link: Apple VP of Special Projects Paul Deneve Removed From Leadership Webpage [Update: Still at Apple]

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Curious why the departure. It seems he worked along side Ahrendts and has his hand in the Apple Watch. Perhaps something related to this.

Comment

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
With all the layoffs of expensive people, maybe this is just the highest profile to date.

Comment

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
It's probably more along the lines of the watches didn't catch on as a fashion item by people who buy fashion brands like they had hoped. The watches are doing ok, but still as a tech item not with the Vogue crowd. So now there probably wasn't much of a place for him if things weren't going in that direction.

Comment

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
Is this because the 5 year pipeline of promised "special projects" turned out to be just a color version of the Lenovo 2010 touchbar that shreds the battery and likely has cocked up the graphics card?

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Looks like Apple is finally realizing that the watch is not a fashion accessory and the people who were responsible for promoting it as such are either leaving or being shown the door. Let's face it -- it must be difficult for someone who comes from the fashion industry, as this guy does, seeing your product on sale as a Black Friday door buster at Kohl's and Target.

Comment

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Is this because the 5 year pipeline of promised "special projects" turned out to be just a color version of the Lenovo 2010 touchbar that shreds the battery and likely has cocked up the graphics card?
Lol, what made you think someone from fashion background will be involved with the mac? It's more likely he was involved with Apple Watch instead of Mac

Comment

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
With the recent group of people leaving, perhaps TC is refocusing Apple to its strengths?

Comment

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
With the way the MBP has so radically lurched from function to form, it wouldn't surprise me...
Hmm, if you're referring about the all in to USB-C, Apple has historically remove ports for newer ones.

I do miss SD slot removal but I don't mind using proper card readers

Comment

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
Hmm, if you're referring about the all in to USB-C, Apple has historically remove ports for newer ones.

I do miss SD slot removal but I don't mind using proper card readers

I meant more shrinking the battery for thinness, to the point where an industry-leading battery life is now being mid-range, and about to dive even further as all the competition updates to Pascal and Kabylake in Spring.

Reactions: d0nK and Col4bin
Comment

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
With the Apple Watch series 2 launch, it seems clear that Apple is backing away from the ultra-high end segment that the gold edition watches occupied. That's pretty much what this guy's role was, understanding how to operate in that crazily elite space.

Apple is still going after the medium high end with the ceramic edition, but Angela Arhentds has that under control with her experience at Burberrry.

Comment

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
He's leaving Apple to open room for the new position of VP of Emoji's.

Maybe we'll get lucky and an emoji will replace Tim. Couldn't really mess it up worse. The emoji might actually do a better job.
[doublepost=1480738111][/doublepost]
Was hoping Tim Cook was leaving when I saw the headline

Don't worry. His day is coming. Future headline:

"Tim Cook drowned while driving preproduction Apple Car. Navigation unexpectedly launched car into the ocean due to Apple Maps glitch."

Comment

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
With the Apple Watch series 2 launch, it seems clear that Apple is backing away from the ultra-high end segment that the gold edition watches occupied. That's pretty much what this guy's role was, understanding how to operate in that crazily elite space.

Apple is still going after the medium high end with the ceramic edition, but Angela Arhentds has that under control with her experience at Burberrry.

Angela = Control? Really? She's so far down on the radar. I haven't wanted to go to an Apple (insert site here) for over a year...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.