Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absentraveler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
As someone who has used both the platforms, I thought I would go out and post this note. I've paid through the nose for my new iPad 2 and, after three weeks of owning and using it everyday, I feel somewhat let down.

Yes, it is nice, stylish, and a good device to flaunt; but is that enough? Before I had an iPad, I'd already had the HTC Desire HD, running Android 2.3, for a few months. I LOVE my phone. In fact, I turn to it much more often than the iPad.

Unlike what I'd imagined, the iPad 2 has not made my laptop obsolete. It is not as portable as my phone, so it doesn't pose a serious threat to the utility of my smartphone. Also, typing on the iPad is only a wee bit easier than typing on my Android smartphone. I'm sure a good Android tablet would give the iPad a serious run for its money. In fact, I'm having second thoughts if the entire 'tablet phenomenon' is a fad!

Some other things I noticed:

* Not having Adobe Flash on the iPad is a significant issue. The video experience is simply not seamless and many websites remain out of bounds.
* The lack of widgets and seamless notifications is conspicuous
* iTunes - what the hell! Anybody who has used Android would appreciate how things JUST work when you connect the device to a computer.
* The free app ecosystem seems WAY better on Android than on iOS
* Apple's apathy towards developing markets, including India, borders on rudeness. I have been trying for two weeks, but still can't find an AppleCare number for India that works. Can you believe that?

This is the first time I'm using an Apple product, and it seems 'dumbed down' to me. That may have been Apple's intention in the first place, but I don't seem to have missed much. ;-)

Just my candid two cents.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seems the iPad isn't for you. Just return it, I guess. There are other tablet options out there.

As for fads, Apple can barely keep up with iPad demand. This looks like it'll be another fad on the level of the iPod. In other words: a lasting trend that is the beginning of a firmly established market segment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
* iTunes - what the hell! Anybody who has used Android would appreciate how things JUST work when you connect the device to a computer.
You realize with iOS5 that will be coming, you'll not need to hook up our iPad to the computer.

* The free app ecosystem seems WAY better on Android than on iOS
More free apps does not equate to better. Even google admitted earlier this year that there's too many free apps which are syphoning profits from developers who have paid apps (making it less appealing for developers to write apps)

This is the first time I'm using an Apple product, and it seems 'dumbed down' to me. That may have been Apple's intention in the first place, but I don't seem to have missed much. ;-)
One size does not fit all, if it doesn't suite your needs return it.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
I agree on a few points and disagree on a few as far as Android goes.

Android's issues are mainly app (Moreso Game) quality as well as not having an iTunes or Zune to sync through.

Getting music onto my Android is, frankly, an annoyance. Using WMP solely to sync my phone causes me to keep track of two libraries and the drivers can get wonky on my Droid X (Probably due to me flashing a 2.3 on an old baseband). Then when they are on there different players like music to be synced different ways and updating tags on songs without syncing a duplicate causes issues.

Yes iTunes sucks too, but its one program to keep track of. I prefer WP7/Zune over iOS/iTunes and Android/Whatever.

App ecosystem is hands down better on iOS. No doubts in my mind.

Android is in no way dumbed down like iOS. Whether its a plus or minus depends on the user. Like I said in another thread, Android is great... if you enjoy playing with tech. Otherwise I see WP7 or iOS being better. I'm surprised at Android's success.

If I were to get a tablet it would not be an Android or iPad, it would be a W8 tablet. No doubt. Like you said, tablets (iPad) really are a (successful) fad/fashion accessory/toy. Windows 8 aims to solve all that and looks really good.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
^^I like where Microsoft is going with WP7. I actually quite like it. I hope they continue to put the same interesting ideas into Win8, but I remain skeptical :/

Not having Flash is a significant issue to you - I like not having it, and I like the push that's been made to the so-called "HTML5" video. Adobe wouldn't make Flash work properly on the Mac, so they got booted. Funnily enough, if they didn't offer top-shelf support of Flash-For-iOS (and it was included, a fair amount of the same people would be having a fit that Apple used a plugin that wasn't working right or overheated their machines.

And successfully simplifying an interface so it's so easy to use is hardly dumbing it down...

:)

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
^^I like where Microsoft is going with WP7. I actually quite like it. I hope they continue to put the same interesting ideas into Win8, but I remain skeptical :/

Not having Flash is a significant issue to you - I like not having it, and I like the push that's been made to the so-called "HTML5" video. Adobe wouldn't make Flash work properly on the Mac, so they got booted. Funnily enough, if they didn't offer top-shelf support of Flash-For-iOS (and it was included, a fair amount of the same people would be having a fit that Apple used a plugin that wasn't working right or overheated their machines.

And successfully simplifying an interface so it's so easy to use is hardly dumbing it down...

I'd rather have the OPTION of Flash (which is what Android has - you have to choose to install it) than no option at all.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011

Having had a device with Flash for around a year, it definitely gets used, but its not "nice" as far as performance goes. It gets the job done for most though. I would rather have it than not for those few times I do need/want to use it.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Android is in no way dumbed down like iOS. Whether its a plus or minus depends on the user. Like I said in another thread, Android is great... if you enjoy playing with tech. Otherwise I see WP7 or iOS being better. I'm surprised at Android's success.

I;m not surprised at all. I'm certain the success has much more to do with the sheer numbers of cheap Android phone options on all carriers than anything else. Follow the money. Most people are not tech savvy forum dwellers that are up to speed on the pros/cons of Android vs. iOS vs. WP7, etc. They know that Apple and Android are both "cool" and when they look at the prices and selection of phones, most probably see a better deal with a cheap Android phone than anything else. Can't blame 'em, really. That's why there's a (2 year old) $49 iPhone you can get on contract now ;)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

neiltc13 said:

I'd rather have the OPTION of Flash (which is what Android has - you have to choose to install it) than no option at all.

Then you won't be happy with Apple. Their belief is that it is better to have no implementation at all than a poor one. Either make the tech work uniformly and predictably across *all* devices you put your name to, or don't do it at all.

This all comes down to the simple maxim: either do it right or don't do it at all.

You might disagree with this philosophy, but note that Apple sells record numbers of iOS devices quarter for quarter, all with no Flash. Flash really isn't as important as people (tech geeks mainly) seem to think. The average consumer is fine without Flash. Apple has rendered the whole Flash issue a non-issue. It's already been settled.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Then you won't be happy with Apple. Their belief is that it is better to have no implementation at all than a poor one. Either make the tech work uniformly and predictably across *all* devices you put your name to, or don't do it at all.

This all comes down to the simple maxim: either do it right or don't do it at all.

You might disagree with this philosophy, but note that Apple sells record numbers of iOS devices quarter for quarter, all with no Flash. Flash really isn't as important as people (tech geeks mainly) seem to think. The average consumer is fine without Flash. Apple has rendered the whole Flash issue a non-issue. It's already been settled.

Flash is very important and version 10.3 is superb, especially with the hardware acceleration. Not that you would know of course...

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Flash is very important and version 10.3 is superb, especially with the hardware acceleration. Not that you would know of course...

Lacking Flash is the single biggest limiting, negative factor of the iPhone & iPad experience.

They FAIL to live up to Apple's Slogan: "It Just Works"

There's nothing more frustrating than to be on one of your favorite sites, reading an article only to have the dreaded blank white space appear with an error message saying you must have flash to see this video, or some other interesting content.

Hello Apple? Anybody Home?

When using my Stellar Android powered Galaxy Tab, there's no problem.

I ask myself, Is It That Hard For Apple To Understand?

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Both have their pros and cons. Pros for the android are its configuration options (flash ROMs, tweak settings... but that comes with the fragmentation issue), great notification system and features (Swype), etc. Its cons, as said, fragmentation, the fact that you can't upgrade unless it's a Nexus, not as many apps as iOS, ...

The iPhone has a lot of apps, frequent updates to its operating system, best resolution screen (although small (3.5") for today's needs), terrible notifications, great features,...

Both are really great and I confess I don't understand how people demonstrate hatred towards an OS, how that is even possible and clearly blinded by 'fanboyism'. There is very little room for criticism with these amazing systems.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
What ever way you want to look at it, Flash is a very popular 'standard'. iOS devices are gimped without it. It's infuriating not being able to use many websites because of this.

My iPhone 4 will be my first and last iOS device unless Apple changes their stance. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 is great, its just incapable of offering a proper web experience which is what Apple claims it does. Flash content is on the increase, so iOS becomes more and more incompatible with the web each day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

To who? Everyone buying all that Apple gear with no Flash?

Shocking as this may, I agree with LTD. I have an iPad and to be honest, I've not really noticed anything missing. I've not really grumbled because I cannot access a site with flash. The industry is moving past flash and the problem will diminish more and more.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 is great, its just incapable of offering a proper web experience which is what Apple claims it does. Flash content is on the increase, so iOS becomes more and more incompatible with the web each day.

Perhaps it's Flash that's not providing a "proper web experience."

Where and how do you figure that Flash content is on the increase? Why would it be on the increase when iOS devices don't support it (and iOS devices are on the increase, i.e., iPad)?

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
To anyone who wants to view a website with Flash content. Duh.

How many times will you run into this on an iOS device? Apparently not often enough. Many websites these have been optimized for iPhone and iPad.

I'm just saying the numbers in no way support your contention.

We've heard the whole iOS-is-dead-without-Flash argument before and what happened? Nothing, really. Aside from netbooks going the way of the dodo about a year after the iPad changed the game.

Consumers' buying choices when it comes to post-PC era products don't hinge on Flash support. And more and more websites are optimized for iOS devices these days. We're past the whole Flash issue.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Perhaps it's Flash that's not providing a "proper web experience."

Where and how do you figure that Flash content is on the increase? Why would it be on the increase when iOS devices don't support it?

Because web content creators cater for the mainstream.

Browse to the BBC news site for example, you get a message saying "Cannot play media. You do not have the correct version of the Flash player".

Video content on Eurogamer (one of the biggest video game websites in the world) doesn't even display. It's E3 at the moment and iOS users cannot watch the content because it's not supported. Gimped.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
How many times will you run into this on an iOS device? Apparently not often enough. Many websites these have been optimized for iPhone and iPad.

I'm just saying the numbers in no way support your contention.

We've heard the whole iOS-is-dead-without-Flash argument before and what happened? Nothing, really. Aside from netbooks going the way of the dodo about a year after the iPad changed the game.

Consumers' buying choices when it comes to post-PC era products don't hinge on Flash support. And more and more websites are optimized for iOS devices these days. We're past the whole Flash issue.

I don't understand the relevance of you bringing netbooks into this discussion unless it's another one of your diversionary tactics? I don't have the figures to hand, but I'd wager more Netbooks are sold than all tablets combined, not just iPads. But that's irrelevant to this topic. And for the record, I hate netbooks, so I am certainly not looking to defend them.

My examples prove that some of the largest websites for their genres do not support iOS devices yet because their content unavailable for iOS users. Past the whole Flash issue? Don't make me laugh.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Because web content creators cater for the mainstream.

Browse to the BBC news site for example, you get a message saying "Cannot play media. You do not have the correct version of the Flash player".

Video content on Eurogamer (one of the biggest video game websites in the world) doesn't even display. It's E3 at the moment and iOS users cannot watch the content because it's not supported. Gimped.

That still doesn't answer the question.

Why are you browsing to the BBC site when there's a dedicated app for it?

Dedicated apps for nearly all major news sites. CNN, CBS, your tech sites like ZDNet, CNET . . . everything. You're more than covered. I see there's also a Eurogamer iPhone app. LOL they still haven't got around to making an iPad app. They'll get out of the past eventually, I'm sure.

I'm on the BBC website now, as a matter of fact. Yes, the video is in Flash. :( But there's an app for that!

Then I browse to the CNN site . . . and BOOM. Videos work like . . . let's call it "magic." How come? CNN *not* using Flash? I thought Flash was mainstream?

YouTube works fine, too.

It's all moot, anyway, when there's a dedicated app for it.

Some sites are still Flash-based. Blame the site for not getting with the HTML5 times. It isn't too smart to cut out the iOS base. Not to worry, all in good time. By this time next year, given iPad sales, it'll be a different story.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
If you don't like your iPad, then don't worry... by time IOS 6 rolls around your iPad will look and function just like an Android tablet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.