Apple vs. Mac OS X Hackers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Yahoo news reports on hidden messages placed by Apple into Mac OS X for Intel to warn would-be hackers. The latest version of Mac OS X revealed a short poem:

"Your karma check for today: There once was a user that whined/his existing OS was so blind/he'd do better to pirate/an OS that ran great/but found his hardware declined./Please don't steal Mac OS!/Really, that's way uncool./(C) Apple Computer, Inc."
Apple confirmed that it had placed these messages into the Mac OS software hoping "it, and many other legal warnings, will remind people that they should not steal Mac OS X."

It appears that that may not have been the only approach Apple may have taken, as a message on OSX86Project.org Forums indicates that they have been issued a DMCA violation notice:

We're sorry to report that despite our best efforts, the OSx86 Project has been served with a DMCA violation notice. The forum will be unavailable while we evaluate its contents to remove any violations present. We thank you for your patience in this matter.
The OSX86Project.org and forums discussed methods/attempts to run Mac OS X on PC hardware.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I think they pissed Steve off with their retort poem:

In this spirit, we would like to humbly offer up our own poem to the developers of the “OS that ran great.”

Rime of the Ancient Hacker
There once was a hacker named Maxxuss
who Steve did not think was a genius.
But Steve pondered awhile,
grabbed the phone with a smile,
and said “Bill, there’s a thing to discuss…”

Don't frack with the Steve™.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I'm glad to see Apple remain light hearted about the subject. It's a true sign of supremacy over the traditional "YOU ARE VIOLATING SO-AND-SO AND WILL BE PERSECUTED, WRONGDOER!"

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
plinkoman said:
i don't get why people spend their lives writing viruses...

don't they have something better to do?
This isn't about virus writing it is about hacking os x to do things it doesn't normally, like run on any x86 processor. I agree with you though...

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
excalibur313 said:
This isn't about virus writing it is about hacking os x to do things it doesn't normally, like run on any x86 processor. I agree with you though...
oh, i though this was partially in relation to the recent trojan...

eh, oh well

radian23

Jan 19, 2005
No

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just started reading that site like 2 days ago. Interesting stuff.

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
I actually can not figure out why apple even bothered with this. A new site will pop up. People want osx on generic machines, some people find wrong in this, but that does not take away the demand.

People want it and don't want to pay for it. It can not be stopped. This is simalar to the RIAA and there beef with file sharing, they can never stop it.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
badmofo9000 said:
What would lead you to think that? I know you said you can't prove it but do you have anything at all that would make you believe that?
I've been following osx86project.org since they started up..

Just a gut feeling.Like I said.It's just an opinion and I still have that right I hope..

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
Peace said:
I've been following osx86project.org since they started up..

Just a gut feeling.Like I said.It's just an opinion and I still have that right I hope..

Yes you have the right, didn't mean to step on your toes there. I was just curious if you had anything to back it up. I too have been following there progress closely and I did not ever get the feeling that there was a malicious motive behind them(other that to "steal" intelectual property from Apple).

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
For a company, even Apple, to use religious terminology ('karma') is both presumptious and absurd. Notwithstanding the fact that this term (not its proper meaning tho') has been vulgarized across the net and elsewhere.

I know Apple does it a lot, for example to defend exploitation by big label music companies. I think it's sickening.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I think you need to not take things literally just to make some " I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD" statement. Thanks.

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
Damn simple solution to this, host the website overseas. [site name removed] do it, do the same thing with osx86 project.

I like apple, but steve's policies are retarded some of the time.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
dekator said:
For a company, even Apple, to use religious terminology ('karma') is both presumptious and absurd. Notwithstanding the fact that this term (not its proper meaning tho') has been vulgarized across the net and elsewhere.

I know Apple does it a lot, for example to defend exploitation by big label music companies. I think it's sickening.
sickening?

you think using the word(and thats what it is, a word), karma, is sickening?

wow :rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
badmofo9000 said:
Yes you have the right, didn't mean to step on your toes there. I was just curious if you had anything to back it up. I too have been following there progress closely and I did not ever get the feeling that there was a malicious motive behind them(other that to "steal" intelectual property from Apple).

When they stole 10.4.3 1111a for the transition kit and installed it on peecee's with a standard bios they were all hooray!! look how easy it is!!..
Then 10.4.4 came out and it stumped them with the programable efi.I'm quit sure some of the lurkers or even members got ticked off.That would be plenty motivation to try and strike back at Apple..

lwood

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2002
badmofo9000 said:
I actually can not figure out why apple even bothered with this. A new site will pop up. People want osx on generic machines, some people find wrong in this, but that does not take away the demand.

People want it and don't want to pay for it. It can not be stopped. This is simalar to the RIAA and there beef with file sharing, they can never stop it.
You obviously underestimate the ferocity of Apple's legal team, sir. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.