Apple vs the rest

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stevep, Mar 6, 2011.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I've been following a thread or two on another completely unrelated forum about how smug Mac users are about their machines, and it has got quite heated. I have to admit to being a Mac user, so I'm obviously biased, but there was just so much rubbish being posted that I couldn't help myself. So I started a new thread, entitled "Mac Problem". And here it is:
    I can't help feeling that I've been a bit childish.....

2. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

haha...thats pretty good.

I've been finding that either people like Apple products, or they really, really despise Apple.

Like it or not Apple stuff works and it works well. I recently tried doing what should have been some fairly simple stuff on a friends windows based laptop. All I wanted to do was transfer music from a CD to a flash drive and I had boatloads of trouble with the whole process.

3. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I have made the experience that usually the people who despise Apple products are those who cannot afford them.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Threads like these are why Mac users are made fun of. Please stop, you're ruining it for the rest of us.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I just talked to a friend today who said, quote, "I'd love to have a Mac but I can't afford one! I can buy a laptop in Walmart for $400-500 and just toss it away in a year when it breaks..."

Which in my mind is utterly ridiculous... So many people think the up front cost is the only expense to consider. I spent a bit over $2,000 for my MBP.. it's lasted five years and has no signs of junking. By that reasoning I've already saved hundreds and have a more high quality machine in the meantime.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's a great quote! :)

MBPs are very comparably priced with PC counterparts. $400 netbooks are very limited in what they can do. I'd be more tempted to get an iPad. In fact I may have one soon in addition to my MBP.

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I find the best way to get people to change their mind about something is by NOT actively doing anything to change their mind. Unless they asked you for advice, don't give them.

You're doing the exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I realize that. :) What I was saying is some folks only look at the end dollar amount they pay at the time of purchase, regardless of how long the item in question lasts.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I spent $1800.us on a Cube in '01, right about the time it was discontinued. Felt like a big purchase at the time. Probably spent around $800.us on various upgrades and enhancements over the years. In late November '09, the power brick TUed. Probably just a popped cap, I might be able to fix it. Good solid stable machine, I think I got my money's worth out of it (so far).

But for some people, that first hefty outlay is kind of difficult. We are conditioned to living in a disposable society, so cheap is good because we are gonna replace it soon enough anyway, right?

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was agreeing with you. :)

WoW, that was expensive. Could you play games on that, integrated graphics or did it have a dedicated card? :)

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, that was rather childish. Personally, I don't feel the need to defend my choice of electronics. I get what suits my needs, and expect everyone else does the same.

13. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

If it makes you feel any better I've seen plenty of Macs with problems. From peeling top cases to batteries going fast to failing hard disks and so on. Macs, especially early-design models tend to have all sorts of problems. I'm glad you got lucky in that yours just works but don't speak for everybody.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. On my iMac, I have had a harddrive, logic board, and the SuperDrive all fail and have to be replaced under Apple Care. But on my MBP, I haven't had any problems at all.