Apple Wants Intel Chips Early?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Inquirer.net claims that Apple is trying to influence Intel in providing their newest processors to Apple early.

So just what can Apple do? It could attempt to put pressure on Intel to give it the necessary chips early. So Apple is doing just that, and sources claim that it isn't flying as well as it had hoped.
According to this unverified report, Apple is interested in the Woodcrest and Merom processors which Intel announced in August.

Note that previously, analysts predicted Apple would use the Yonah processor which will be released in early 2006, consistent with Apple's present timeframe.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
thought so, apple is not haveing any of this netburst **** intel feeds to dell.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
That would be heaps awesome, but intel is a large company and Apple is a smaller customer as such its just not economic sense for intel to provide chips earlier to Apple.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
That would be really nice, but yeah, you are playing in the same pool as the "big boys" now. Unless the architecture for the Mactel chips somehow differs from their standard PC brothers and sisters I doubt that they will be getting that sort of preferential treatment...

but you never know, I mean come on, we are porting an entire operating ststem and making all of our develpoers recompile software for you guys, you could give us a little something to get excited about...

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Hector said:
thought so, apple is not haveing any of this netburst **** intel feeds to dell.
I don't think Apple was ever planning to go with a Netburst chip, and I don't think Intel was trying to make them either.

Yonah is a Pentium M chip. It has nothing to do with P4 or Netburst.

Edit: It's a dual-core, 65nm chip with SSE3 instructions. But it won't support AMD64/EM64T, so that could be why Apple don't want to use it.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
This would be insanely great but I really don't see Intel giving Apple much in advance. I can't help think that Apple is really just small potatoes to Intel in the grand scheme of things. They might give Apple some advance shipments of chips but I doubt it will be very much difference from an actual release date.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
dubbz said:
I don't think Apple was ever planning to go with a Netburst chip, and I don't think Intel was trying to make them either.

Yonah is a Pentium M chip. It has nothing to do with P4 or Netburst.
I know, but allot of people were saying apple was going to make the powermacs run on P4's, which is BS, apple wants the desktop pentium M earlier, thus proved by their pushing intel for mermon and conroe.

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
It would be nice if Apple could get the chips early and begin building their stock. Perhaps Intel would be more inclined to agree to this if Apple agreed not to release the machines until Intel made the chips available to everyone else.

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
And as for Apple not being a "big account", that is true in terms of sales, but they are a very public account. Intel wants to stand out from the competition and Apple will help them do that. It is because of this that the deal with Apple is important to Intel. Steve Jobs is trying to use this as leverage to get some preferential treatment. As they say, you don't get it if you don't ask.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I don't care 1 or way or another about when they turn up, I'm just glad to hear the word "Woodcrest" this means the Power Mac will be dual CPU, woo hoo!

Bring on those Woodcrest Power Macs!

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
For some reason I'm thinking this is more for the portable line than anything else. The Powerbook has be stagnated for so long Apple would probably love to see a massive update that the market wouldn't be able to touch for at least a month.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Then what is to stop Dell to look at AMD? I guess as much as apple wants intel to give a preference, it is just not going to work! Intel has lots of business desktops, servers and what not to loose if it gets "pressured" by apple (some how!). It is pretty clear that they will introduce 64 bit yonah when the market requires it (i.e. Vista)! I think it is just a publicity stunt!

jobs : give us the chips which you are not sampling!
intel : sorry it is not possible
jobs : intel is why we cannot make your dream laptop!
apple fans : yeah screw intel ... they are taking away my dream powerbook!! boo ... hey next G'X' powerbook update tuesday!

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I figure Apple want to launch the MacTel with a huge bang (someone say Darwin?? :D )
So, I assume Apple wants to have as many x86 Macs in stock as possible, thus asking for as many as possible from Intel.
I don't think they really want to launch the first IntelMac earlier than scheduled.... would be kinda cr@p if there was a MacTel, but no optimized software for it....

Nah, I believe they are stockpiling to be able to meet demands as soon as the first x86 Macs are announced.

Steve: "we hereby officially launch the first MacTels (ugghhh... such a bad name), and they are available NOW! ... and plent of 'em, so go buy them" :)

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Me first

Apple wants to be first, so they can go out there and say how they have the fastest computers in the world.

So, the question is, does Intel really love Apple? We'll see.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Issue if timing

Dr. Dastardly said:
For some reason I'm thinking this is more for the portable line than anything else. The Powerbook has be stagnated for so long Apple would probably love to see a massive update that the market wouldn't be able to touch for at least a month.
Yup, they sure don't want to wait until the 3Q before releasing new Powerbooks. And it sounds like they don't want to ship Intels in June, only to have to update them a few months later so as not to be behind Dell.

progx

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
this is great! i mean, terrible news…

well, as patches o'houlihan once said, "the dyke's right boys, no use crying in the breast milk."

now bring on the Powerbook G5 and the AMD PowerPC chips! :D

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Object-X said:
So, the question is, does Intel really love Apple? We'll see.
How could they??

After all that Apple have done to make fun of them? (you know... snail ad, pentium toasting ad, infamous Photoshop shoot-outs)

Haha.... I wonder....

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
i wonder just how apple thinks it can speed up the development process intel is doing...

i don't think intel is holding back the chips just to annoy their customers, they have every incentive to get them shippings as soon as they can, but the bottom line is that the chips will be in production when they are ready for that.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
DeSnousa said:
That would be heaps awesome, but intel is a large company and Apple is a smaller customer as such its just not economic sense for intel to provide chips earlier to Apple.
But Apple will sell to customers that are use to paying much more for hardware compared to other vendors like Dell. I expect Apple to have the best and latest of Intel before Sony, Dell, Gateway, and HP.

plastique45

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
Some people here seemed to think this meant Apple wants to release Intel Macs THIS year, this is what the original article states:

Apple wants Intel chips early, oh flipping Dell

But Intel doesn't care what Apple wants

By Charlie Demerjian: Sunday 25 September 2005, 10:53

THE POPULAR MEDIA KEEPS reporting that Apple plans to release its X86 based Macs in June next year, probably with a big fanfare and many black turtlenecks.
So far so good. The problem is that the chips that Apple is going to base its systems on - Woodcrest and Merom - are not due until the third quarter of next year.

This would make it hard for Apple to release computers if there are no CPUs for them, unless it has decided to use Yonah processors. Apple is big, but not nearly big enough to bully Intel, unless it has to do with iTunes DRM. So just what can Apple do? It could attempt to put pressure on Intel to give it the necessary chips early. So Apple is doing just that, and sources claim that it isn't flying as well as it had hoped. Any tale of cool, need or woe won't fly very far against the argument of "Dell sells 20 times what you do, why should we give you preferential treatment again?". Those same sources claim that this what Intel is saying.

alaskaunbound

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2005
imagine a 100% 64 bit intel product lineup

That would give apple and developers a significant performance and longevity advantage...maybe they could just buy some turions for the first pbs. i know that wont happen, but releasing one model not capable of 64 bit computing would be a bad decision.