Apple Wants to Sell 4K Movies for $20 in iTunes, While Film Studios Want $25 to $30

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is said to be "scrambling" to strike deals with movie studios in Hollywood regarding the exact prices of 4K movies in the iTunes Store, taking places just weeks ahead of the rumored debut of the new 4K Apple TV in mid-September.

While the talks have been ongoing for some time, discussions have been recently hampered by disagreements over the pricing of 4K movie purchases, according to sources close to the talks (via The Wall Street Journal). Apple wants to charge $19.99 for 4K movie purchases in its digital iTunes Store, the same price it currently charges for newly-released HD films.

[​IMG]

However, many Hollywood studios it has talked with are pushing back on that price point and are looking to charge customers a premium for the new 4K content: $25 to $30 for a 4K movie in iTunes.
    Apple is said to be trying to finish these discussions well before September 12, the currently rumored date that will see the unveiling of the new 4K Apple TV, iPhone 8, iPhone 7s, iPhone 7s Plus, Apple Watch Series 3, and more software-related announcements. As iTunes loses market share to companies like Amazon and Comcast, Apple is hoping that a revitalized Apple TV streaming box with 4K content -- which many rival devices have already supported -- will help boost iTunes sales into the last half of 2017 and the new year.

In other Hollywood-related talks, earlier this month it was reported that multiple studios were pushing forward with a plan to offer digital movie rentals mere weeks after they appear in theaters. Studios like Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. were said to be in talks with partners, including Apple, to offer movies in iTunes as early as 17 days after their theatrical debut for about $50, or four to six weeks from release for $30.

Article Link: Apple Wants to Sell 4K Movies for $20 in iTunes, While Film Studios Want $25 to $30

2. fermat-au macrumors 6502

So Apple wants a lower price for content that they don't produce while they charge higher, than industry standard, prices for their hardware.

3. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I'm so cheap that even $20 sounds like a lot to me.

Gotta say...with so much great content out there I'm okay with waiting until it's on TV for free and yep, I just turned into my parents.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Hollywood has no sense of value. They've lived under the protection of IP monopoly for so long that they can't get their heads around the idea that providing value results in better returns.

5. cardfan macrumors 65816

Heh, I won't pay 20 for a movie, much less 30...on itunes. I may get a 4k bluray for 30 but it has to be worthwhile.

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Charge $100 for all I care and I'll still be enjoying my ATV3 and 1080P tv.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Didn't apple go through this same debacle recently in regards to music? 4K content, both streaming and physical media are actually selling better than blu-ray was in the early stages. I doubt the studios cave on this.

8. brunozs macrumors member

9. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

On iTunes?

10. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Same here. Ill just wait two more months and see the movie on Netflix. Im done with buying movies.

11. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

Meh, let them, I wont pay 20 now, sure as hell are not going to pay 30. They can keep them.

12. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

13. Taylor710ce macrumors newbie

Taylor710ce

i'd pay 5 for 1080, 10 for 4K. Maybe 15 for same day theater release.

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

Me thinks this is Apple PR anyways. They're content with 30 a movie. Oh you think they're expensive? It's them, not us..wink wink.

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Digital content is the same price as physical, yet has no manufacturing or transport costs, nor chance of overstocking that need clearing at a loss, and has negligible storage costs in comparison. The customer gets a worse deal as well with fractured viewing options for all owned content, lower quality, and no resale options. Digital content is rarely at a price I will pay (although I have bought some when the price was right). I think the same is true for many. Prices need to be lower.

16. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

"No thank you".

That's the polite answer dear studio and Apple executives.

17. Appleaker macrumors 68020

At least Apple is being more reasonable here! Resolutions seem to be unable to progress at the same price with Movies. Even if it’s not the same price, the increase shouldn’t be so drastic.

It’s slightly understandable for physical Blu-Rays but not really for a iTunes download.

It’s like Apples Mac SSD prices. They’ll happily increase the base storage, but you’ll have to pay for it.

18. era86 macrumors newbie

And here I am only buying movies when they hit 3.99. Good luck with 20! I’m sure as hell not paying more for the same content that is recorded in 4 or 8K to begin with and only downsampled to make more profit.

19. Braderunner macrumors 6502

Film studios are greedy. They over-value their content, which leads to piracy. They would rather get nothing over something. For those who will disagree and say that making movies is a risky business...yes, some movies lose money, others make hundreds of millions. It more than averages out. They are just plain greedy. Look at the prices of older movies. They want way too much for a digital copy of a movie that you know nobody is buying. Why not ask just a couple dollars for them and people would buy them to build their collections. Something is better than nothing.

20. cardfan macrumors 65816

Yep, quality is lower, fewer additional content, no resale, and the superior blu ray costs the same (which often gives you an itunes code to redeem anyways).

21. apolkowski macrumors member

Poland, Warsaw and Masurian Lake District
    Have you seen any 4K movie on Netflix except their own content?

22. Ulisescm macrumors regular

Ulisescm

I buy 4k discs for 25-30 usd, but quality is much better than streaming. Hope new Apple TV supports Dolby Vision and Atmos sound.

23. Avieshek, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Hope, it's just a PR stunt. Otherwise, it will only be a blow to 4K standard and those movies alongwith affecting iTunes as well.

The youngsters will always find a way like Torrent, the oldsters will be patient to wait it away.

24. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

At those prices, I'd rather just buy the disc with much better sound and picture.

25. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Exactly at $30 I might as well get a disc that has better picture quality and that I can either resell or lend out to friends/family (which means lost sales for the movie studio). The digital version needs to not only be about instant gratification it needs to either have the same picture quality or a lower price, and honestly ideally both.