Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple warned leakers that sharing information about unreleased products could mislead third-party accessory makers and disappoint customers, in cease and desist letters sent by legal firms representing the company.

apple-leak-feature-blue.jpg

Vice today highlighted that, in an extensive letter sent to a leaker based in China, Apple warned that leaks could give third-party accessory makers the wrong dimensions and details about unreleased products. It has emerged over the past month that June saw a concerted effort by Apple to curtail information coming from a range of individual leakers outside the United States using cease and desist letters.

Despite being sent by various local law firms representing Apple around the world, the letters appear to have featured identical content. An extract of one of the letters, seen by MacRumors, reads:
In addition, premature disclosures about unannounced products can also harm customers worldwide when the relevant information disclosed is inaccurate, and third parties – such as accessory manufacturers – develop and sell cases and other accessories that are in fact incompatible with the unannounced product because, for example, the design or dimensions differ. Such situations are harmful to customers and to Apple. Therefore, it is obvious that when the unpublished information about the design and performance of Apple's products is kept confidential, it has actual and potential commercial value.

The statement is an unusual admission from Apple that some case and accessory makers rush to prepare accessories for new Apple products long before their release based on leaked information. Even if initial dimensions and information that come out as a result of leaks are accurate at that time, Apple may make changes to designs that make accessories ineffective or obsolete by the time of the product's official release.

Apple appears to suggest that ill-fitting accessories harm its brand in the eyes of customers, which apparently proves the commercially sensitive nature of information about unreleased products and the company regards leaks to be "illegal disclosure of Apple's trade secrets." The letter also implied that keeping details about unreleased products secret also has "potential commercial value" for third parties.

As well as misinforming third-party accessory manufacturers, Apple also highlighted the fact that customers may be directly let down by leaks about "rumored" or "unreleased" products.
Apple has made every effort to take strict measures to maintain confidentiality for any information about Apple's products before their official release to ensure that every time Apple releases a new product, it can surprise the public. The secret of Apple's latest technological innovation is an important part of the company DNA.

The implication here is that leaked information may negatively affect customers' expectations, but also that secrecy is a key attribute of Apple's brand itself, so leaks are in turn commercially damaging to the company's image.

The leakers known as "Kang" and "Mr. White" are believed to have been impacted by Apple's recent letters, as well as the render "CConceptCreator," but it is not clear how widespread last month's attempt to silence leakers around the world was.

Article Link: Apple Warned Leakers About Misleading Third-Party Accessory Makers

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Oh puhlease. Accessory makers make MILLIONS off having their products out first upon launch. Anyone who wants a case for a new device wants it right away to protect it day 1. The first days/week of sales are surely MASSIVE. Even if they have to tweak them due to incorrect leaks and take some loss right away (and why packages don't match the phone name sometimes)

I'd love to see the numbers from big case makers. They are surely making MILLIONS by having their cases ready on launch day.

But yes, the poor misled case makers :rolleyes: Just like "Won't someone please think about the children!"

If that is the case then you can also argue that only Apple having 1st party cases available on launch day is an unfair competitive advantage since no one else can have theirs ready to compete then. And a huge chunk of the sales will be that first few days/week or so that no one can capture but Apple

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The implication here is that leaked information may negatively affect customers' expectations, but also that secrecy is a key attribute of Apple's brand itself, so leaks are in turn commercially damaging to the company's image.
The implication is that people who leak secrets for profit or clout care about third parties or customers.

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
In addition, premature disclosures about unannounced products can also harm customers worldwide when the relevant information disclosed is inaccurate, and third parties – such as accessory manufacturers – develop and sell cases and other accessories that are in fact incompatible with the unannounced product because, for example, the design or dimensions differ. Such situations are harmful to customers and to Apple. Therefore, it is obvious that when the unpublished information about the design and performance of Apple's products is kept confidential, it has actual and potential commercial value.

That is horrendous writing, especially coming from a lawyer. Damn.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Apple can’t even control the leaks coming out of the assembly plants. In a month or two, you will have just about every part leaked inside the new iPhone.

Reactions: zeezun

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
A little bit of a paradox - if inaccurate information is what is leaked, is the inaccurate information an apple trade secret?
Excellent point.

DeNGoodYou.gif

I get that Apple need to protect their trade secrets but I think you’re right that this specific argument appears to conflate another point (albeit reasonable on its own merits) with the actual thing they’re complaining about.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
I think Apple is trying to curtain expectations, I remember 2020 rumors saying we should see a new Apple TV released in may 2020, well it did release, just in March 2021. How many people and leakers were sure new MacBooks would be released at wwdc this year.

I think apple is trying to stop event let down.

great example is all the switch pro rumors everyone heard and expected Nintendo to release. Then the oled model dropped and everyone went “WTF Nintendo”

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
In a day and age where data and information isn’t private anymore? How do you suggest Apple does that, aside from making everything in a bunker filled with angry tech gurus?

Control the source, your supply chain. The actual worker in the supply chain is the guilty party giving out those secrets.

I think Apple is trying to curtain expectations, I remember 2020 rumors saying we should see a new Apple TV released in may 2020, well it did release, just in March 2021. How many people and leakers were sure new MacBooks would be released at wwdc this year.

I think apple is trying to stop event let down.

great example is all the switch pro rumors everyone heard and expected Nintendo to release. Then the oled model dropped and everyone went “WTF Nintendo”

Meh, there were few to no leaks on iOS15, and look at that dog turd and how many people have crapped on Apple over it. There was no hype as there were few to no leaks.

People make up their own expectations regardless of leaks. Which by the very nature are guesses based on rough information absent actually having a copy of the presentation beforehand (or marketing images like say Samsung or Google)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I'm not business savvy, but basing my entire product line on a rumor? Even I wouldn't do that. Come up with a better lie, Apple.

If it's a multi-million dollar industry, I'd cut a deal with Apple (sign the usual NDA) and have accessories ready for launch day. Sure, I might cost me a few hundred thousands, a few millions, but all that would be recouped and then some by being first. The first wave is where they can charge a premium for accessories because no competition. By the time everyone else has their product in the wild, prices would have dropped dramatically.

If Apple needs a PR guy to spin credible lies for them, I'm available. I was taught how to lie by Enabran Tain himself.;) Only Elim told could spin a better web of innuendoes, half-truths, and bald-faced lies.?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm not business savvy, but basing my entire product line on a rumor? Even I wouldn't do that. Come up with a better lie, Apple.

Numerous times there have been cases made available for products that apple hasn’t yet released, and the cases don’t fit because of incorrect dimensions or tolerances, or the Apple product never comes out. That part isn’t wrong.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Apple’s game is so obvious.

They don’t give a **** about third party accessories or their customers.

The idea of their customers being disappointed is just an in to justify their gestapo style strategies.

They could offer early access to specifications to third parties under NDA and solve this problem at an absolutely tiny fraction of the cost. But obviously solving the problem is not the goal.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You know what else hurts your brand? Releasing $1500 phones that don't have any cases available.

Maybe you could, instead, release the phone sizes and button placement so that customers aren't harmed? You don't want to harm me, right? So put your money where your mouth is and release the dimensions Apple!

They do provide some partners with the dimensions. That doesn’t mean they need to publish them to the entire internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.