Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
It's not like the phone shape and size give anything away. Give these manufacturers the dimensions early enough to make their cases legit and ready for launch, and NOT just the 3 companies that charges $50 a case and are sold in the Apple Store.

It’s not about cases. It’s about leveraging an imperfect justice system and Apple’s near-unlimited legal budget to instil terror in unofficial sources of information.

The company that controls information controls the future.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Numerous times there have been cases made available for products that apple hasn’t yet released, and the cases don’t fit because of incorrect dimensions or tolerances, or the Apple product never comes out. That part isn’t wrong.
Well now. There are bigger idiots out there than I. I guess ? ain't bad.? As I said, I wouldn't base my business solely on rumors.
They do provide some partners with the dimensions.
And those partners pay a tidy sum for the information. They remain partners because they Apple's instruction regarding when to advertize/release the product as to not steal Apple's thunder. And Apple legal would rip them a new one if they broke the NDA.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well now. There are bigger idiots out there than I. I guess ? ain't bad.? As I said, I wouldn't base my business solely on rumors.

And those partners pay a tidy sum for the information. They remain partners because they Apple's instruction regarding when to advertize/release the product as to not steal Apple's thunder. And Apple legal would rip them a new one if they broke the NDA.

You are making an inappropriate logical leap. If a case manufacturer starts ahead of time on case and makes a few thousand based on rumored dimensions, that’s not necessarily “basing my business solely on rumors.” They make lots of products. If they guess correctly, then they beat the competition to market and make a lot of sales. If they guess wrong, they eat the cost of the incorrect guess, which may be a small part of their overall revenues.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
“secrecy is a key attribute of Apple's brand itself, so leaks are in turn commercially damaging to the company's image.”

So how long until they come for Macrumors itself in this new censor-what-we-don’t-like society that is in fashion now? After all, publishing rumors defeats Apple’s secrecy and, according to Apple, is commercially damaging.

The answer is not to attack journalists and reporters (you could argue these leakers are acting as journalists) but to get your own house in order to stop the leaks. Apple has largely failed to do so and seems to now be flailing.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
How does Apple know the leakers' identities? I thought they were hiding behind anonymous handles. You need to be sure of who they are before sending them lawyerly warnings.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple is trying so hard so marketing department has an easier assignment to do, or apple still reel from Steve Jobs “one more thing” and can’t get away from it? There’s only so many wow moments and so many breakthroughs. Focus on something else rather than sticking to secrecy and cracking down rumours while censoring people who posts options Apple clearly don’t want to see.

Cannibalising your own product is easy enough, but how about cannibalising your own culture and pride just like Microsoft did?

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Leaks are less common or interesting or effective when you release products on some kind of schedule.

Stop taking forever to release products and leakers won't have anything to interest people with.

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
"The statement is an unusual admission from Apple that some case and accessory makers rush to prepare accessories for new Apple products long before their release based on leaked information."

Is it really? Or is it something that they are using as a piece in the game to make it sound like they are doing people a favor by clamping down on printing the leaks.

Souponastick270

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2016
Citadel Island
I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumours that the incoming MacBook Pro will bring back ports and MagSafe, thus meaning Apple is maybe trying to downplay those rumours so people aren’t disappointed when they don’t turn up.

I would be a little disappointed if the iPhone 13 doesn’t have a 120Hz display, not fussed about the notch size though.

• Sad

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
All it probably means is: no I/O revolution in upcoming macbooks. Just TB & dongles :(
Of course not. They gotta make $$$ when the TB cables kick the dust somehow. Can’t believe people bought the iPhone 12 with no charger! That **** was baffling.

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
Kang, please just ignore these legal letters and continue to delight us with reliable leaks. Apple can't get you because you are outside America and it is impossible for them to take you to court in China. (China loves harbouring clone products, Aliexpress cheap knockoffs etc)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is just becoming a very sad reality. Im Sure Apple can find other ways to stop this.
Not sad. This isn’t just with Apple it’s been going on for just over 2 decades now even in Nokia’s heyday. The problem is leakers at the source need more money & tubers or Twitter gnats need to keep feeding hungry fans wanting an insight before theyre ready to purchase at or after official product announcement & launch.

id rather hear discussion of ideas and speculation without seeing poor early leaked photos and videos. Artist perceived rendition is a nice touch as well.

Reactions: amartinez1660

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Now they're just sounding desperate....

If a third party accessory maker tools up and does a production run based on some rumor, that's their risk to take.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The reality is that Apple is paid by some accessory providers to be 'first to market' on things like cases by getting early access to device specifications. So when you pay and someone else gets ahead of you from a leak, then that's a problem Apple has to try and solve.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Oh puhlease. Accessory makers make MILLIONS off having their products out first upon launch. Anyone who wants a case for a new device wants it right away to protect it day 1. The first days/week of sales are surely MASSIVE. Even if they have to tweak them due to incorrect leaks and take some loss right away (and why packages don't match the phone name sometimes)

I'd love to see the numbers from big case makers. They are surely making MILLIONS by having their cases ready on launch day.

But yes, the poor misled case makers :rolleyes: Just like "Won't someone please think about the children!"

If that is the case then you can also argue that only Apple having 1st party cases available on launch day is an unfair competitive advantage since no one else can have theirs ready to compete then. And a huge chunk of the sales will be that first few days/week or so that no one can capture but Apple
And Apple wants to be the company to sell you those overpriced accessories. Hence their whining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.