Apple Warns iCloud Users Some Disabled Services Were Accidentally Re-enabled in iOS 10.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today sent out emails to a small number of iCloud users, warning them that a bug in iOS 10.3 may have caused some iCloud services that had been disabled to be mistakenly re-enabled.

The email asks iCloud users to revisit their iCloud settings to make sure to turn off any service that might have been turned on through the iOS 10.3 update.

It's not entirely clear which iCloud services might have been affected, but MacRumors reader Karl, who sent us the email, said that he typically disables iCloud Mail. Following the update, he found the Mail option turned back on.
    iOS 10.3, released on March 27, introduced a new Apple Filesystem among other major features like Find My AirPods, plus it included an overhauled iCloud storage breakdown, which may explain why some iCloud services were mistakenly turned back on.

To check which iCloud services are enabled on your iOS device, open the Settings app and scroll down to the "iCloud" section. A list of apps and services using iCloud is front and center, and anything that was enabled via iOS 10.3 can be turned off using the toggle buttons.

A wide range of first and third-party apps and services use Apple's iCloud feature, including Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Safari, News, and more.

Update: According to Apple, iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Keychain, and Find My iPhone were not affected by the issue. The bug has been fixed in the iOS 10.3.1 update, so those who have not yet updated to iOS 10.3 but choose to update to iOS 10.3.1 will not be impacted by the bug. Apple has not shared how many users were affected by the bug but says not everyone who updated to iOS 10.3 will experience it.

Article Link: Apple Warns iCloud Users Some Disabled Services Were Accidentally Re-enabled in iOS 10.3

2. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

4. itsmilo macrumors 6502a

itsmilo

For me they removed random albums out of their folders and i had to manually drop them back into their folders. I guess i should be glad the albums werent removed all together this time around!

Never trust Apple with cloud services

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Good on Apple for being proactive and emailing those who might have been affected.

6. radioisotope macrumors newbie

radioisotope

Can we just have one update that fixes more than it breaks?

7. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This has happened to me a couple times now and it's maddening! It always seems to happen when I update my Mac, but not iOS.

I'm curious: Is your Photos library a very old one that had been converted from an iPhoto or Aperture library? I have a suspicion that there might be some old metadata that's corrupted causing this from the Aperture/iPhoto days, but have no way to confirm.

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Was that quoted text their full email? I think they're missing "sorry".

(Also it's interesting how they are able to narrow down remotely who was likely impacted by the bug.)

10. emm386 macrumors 6502

emm386

These screw-ups happen to everyone nowadays, no matter if it's Google, Apple or Microsoft.

What kinda pisses me off is wording like "a small number of users" which could easily mean a fife or aix digit amount of users.

11. mudflap macrumors member

mudflap

More than 300 million iCloud accounts in the wild—can you imagine what would happen if Apple were as bad at cloud computing as some you believe they are?

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

This is no longer the way to do it (at least on my iPhone since 10.3). You have to open the Settings app and then tap your name at the top, then press "iCloud" in that menu. There's no longer an "iCloud" section to select on the main Settings menu.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I got the email too but I downgraded back to 10.2.1 once I discovered that my apps that block ads inside apps no longer worked.

14. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

15. Dave-Z macrumors regular

This kind of crap happens on every iOS device I manage... Very nearly every iOS update I have to fix privacy settings, iCloud settings, notifications, etc. It's beyond frustrating and I've taken to installing configuration profiles to set most of the stuff up, but there are still settings that revert.

And as mentioned above, it really would be nice if an update didn't break stuff that was working fine already.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    Some of us don't have to imagine. ;-)

16. RealKrS macrumors member

Are you serious? When it comes to IOS Updates, Apple’s quality control is a joke now. What would really be Proactive from Apple would be to get rid of all the clowns responsible for the issues coming with almost every single IOS Update for the past few years. Ok that might be a little Reactive too...

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I had a weird thing happen within Apple Music...all of my Prince music (even stuff not available on Apple Music that I uploaded via iTunes) was renamed from the artist name of Prince to Prince & the Revolution. I didn't touch a thing in iTunes just all of a sudden one day that's how it showed up in Apple Music. So annoying.

18. EM2013 macrumors 6502a

EM2013

They tend to have the silliest bugs despite going through 6-7 betas.

19. BasicGreatGuy, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes, I am serious.

No company is flawless when it comes to writing and releasing code updates. My post did not excuse mistakes made by Apple. Acknowledging that Apple did the right thing by emailing those possibly affected does not negate the mistakes made.

You read things into my post that were not there.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, nothing is actually broken in this case. Some settings got changed, which isn't good certainly, but it's a ways off from something being broken or anything like that.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Which apps would those be?

22. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

Apple is at least being more interactive with us lately.

Remember, they don't have to acknowledge the bugs if they don't want to as they've done before.

23. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Can they like... fix it rather than 'warning'?

24. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Adguard. They were supposed to have an update out this week to fix the problem but I haven't got anything yet. This app seems to break with every upgrade. When I went from 9.0.2 to 10.1.1, Adguard broke then as well. Also Adblock broke as well as block. Basically any app that blocks ads in apps.

25. coolfactor macrumors 68040

This isn't really a "break". Likely it would've had very little impact to anyone affected. A break would be something that does not function as intended, and none of these iCloud services were broken, just enabled by mistake.

Can we just have people be thankful for Apple working hard to give us the best devices, online and mobile experiences possible? When has someone stopped and said "Thanks, Apple, for your hard work and commitment to excellence." Things are going always going to be perfect, but at least they do try.