MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Engadget reports that evidence has been found in the iPad 3.2 SDK that Apple had been working on the possibility of video conferencing for their new tablet device:
We're told that there are hooks to accept and decline a video conference, flip a video feed (which suggests a front-facing camera) and -- most importantly -- run the video call in either full screen mode or in just a portion of the screen. That means you'll be able to chat and do other things at the same time, which could mean there's at least some type of multitasking going on here.
We'd also heard late reports that Apple had been working on models with front-facing video cameras, though it seems that Apple must have nixed this possibility at some point.

Of course, software hooks will do no good without an actual camera embedded in the device itself. We're not sure why Apple decided to cut this feature, but we may see it in a future iterations of the iPad or iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Was Working on Video Conferencing in iPad?

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
i suspect this stuff will make it into iPad v2

they want everyone to buy the first one, then they'll update it so everyone will want the next one. just plain business :rolleyes:

Comment

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
I think a Camera is a must if they really plan on selling these tablets like the phone or the touches, without it there is no big "push" must have feature that other devices don't already cover.

Comment

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Really too bad they didn't do that as iChat would have worked wonderfully.

Comment

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
The reason for the feature not making it was to shock everyone with the low cost.

And it worked.

No one expected this price from Apple.

That being said, there's no reason Apple couldn't release a clip-on style camera with tiltable angle of view control on the bottom dock connector.

Since the device can be oriented any way you want and it adjusts, there's no reason you couldn't clip a tiny camera with a very low profile onto that connector and remove it when not in use.

I doubt it would happen though. Apple doesn't seem to like add on cameras since they phased out iSight.

Comment

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Leaving out features so they can be added later is a typical Apple move, and the exact reason I will not buy version 1, or probably even version 2 of the tablet.

I still regret, to this day, buying the first iPhone. That whole think really chapped my ass. I learned my lesson and will never buy a 1st gen Apple product ever again.

Comment

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
I'm betting they stripped out everything they could to get the price down to $499. As Gruber said, Apple is in "land grab" mode to sell as many devices as possible to get a giant market share for developers.

Comment

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Because in a recession, you need something major to grow your products on. iPad 3G(S) will have the cameras etc. This will happen when AT&T puts out a reliable 3G network of course.

When the new iPhone debuts in June with a front facing camera, and no new added features, it'll make the stock jump and show further growth. They nix the best stuff for later.

Comment

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Apple may have nixed the idea at the last minute because they haven't figured out the most important part: how the hell are you supposed to hold the iPad and video chat on it? Holding an iPad at arms length at head height would get old in, oh, 5 seconds.

Seriously. Anyone? And don't say "a stand".

Comment

shaolindave

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
sacrificed for the price

sacrificed for the price, of course.
the 2nd gen iPad will have it. that's why i'm waiting.

Comment

Vedhead

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
yeah, I'm thinking the new iPhone will have the front facing cam, LED flash, and multitasking...if that was all available in the iFrame (iPad) now, why would we buy iPhone v4...especially when we could just be VoIPing/video conferencing for 30/month with an iFrame rather than 30+cell plan with iPhone...

of course, that bezel would still keep me away from it.

Comment

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
BluRay Disc

There also are BluRay references throughout which means that an AppleTV version of the iPhone OS is possible

<dict>
<key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
<array>
<string>com.apple.package</string>
</array>
<key>UTTypeDescription</key>
<string>BD Video Disc</string>
<key>UTTypeIconFile</key>
<string>GenericFolderIcon.icns</string>
<key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
<string>public.bd-video-disc</string>
</dict>

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d like video in chat in an iPad.

I’d LOVE video chat in my next iPhone!

of course, that bezel would still keep me away from it.

That bezel frame gives you a way to hold the iPad without pressing buttons, (and probably doubles the battery volume too). Having no border only works when you can grip the whole device from both sides in one hand: a small device like an iPod.

And a border means room for a camera some day :)

Comment

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
Apple may have nixed the idea at the last minute because they haven't figured out the most important part: how the hell are you supposed to hold the iPad and video chat on it? Holding an iPad at arms length at head height would get old in, oh, 5 seconds.

Seriously. Anyone? And don't say "a stand".

Therein lies the rub. In order to be able to hold the device any way you want, the pitch/angle of the camera would need to be adjustable. That would potentially kill the profile of the device. The only real way around that would be to somehow recess it into the bezel when not needed, and have it pop up when you want to use it.

To build such a thing would probably add a lot to the cost.

Comment

Microsoap

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Bouvet Island
lol What a nice company some you get on your knees for and... uh, bow.

It's not like they earnestly thought of all the innovative features they could, released it and went: "oh, nuts! what about feature X? guess it'll have to wait for v.2"

They purposely held back on you. So they'll get people hooked on a mild form of crack and eventually increase its potency with each incarnation.

A $8 video camera it costs them to insert and mark up a good 20% and they held back on you!!! lmao :D You people are a laugh, you are. Your loyalty to such rats. Such a petty little thing to exclude when it can help tilt the scales to sale or no sale.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Leaving out features so they can be added later is a typical Apple move, and the exact reason I will not buy version 1, or probably even version 2 of the tablet.

I still regret, to this day, buying the first iPhone. That whole think really chapped my ass. I learned my lesson and will never buy a 1st gen Apple product ever again.

Never buy a first gen product from ANY company, because the second gen is almost always better. (Why, oh why, can’t they make the 2nd gen worse sometimes? Or at least, exactly the same?)

Also, never buy a second gen product because the third is always better.

Similarly, I’d avoid third gen products.

Also, avoid ALL products where any features were secretly considered and tested but never made it to the public product. (Which is of course ALL products.)

And remember, the ONLY reason any feature is ever removed from a design is out of greed. There are never any other reasons—such as it just not working that well in actual testing, or it being just one of a number of things that must get cut to add up to a certain desired price point. Greed is the only possible answer, ever, and this is proven.

A $8 video camera it costs them to insert and mark up a good 20% and they held back on you!!! lmao :D You people are a laugh, you are. Your loyalty to such rats.

The surest sign of the iPad’s coming success: the fresh wave of panicky trolling :D

Comment
Therein lies the rub. In order to be able to hold the device any way you want, the pitch/angle of the camera would need to be adjustable. That would potentially kill the profile of the device. The only real way around that would be to somehow recess it into the bezel when not needed, and have it pop up when you want to use it.

To build such a thing would probably add a lot to the cost.

I don't know, my cheap little iPod Nano 5G has a video camera and it orients to what ever way you are holding it, so if they can do it (inexpensively) in the Nano, they certainly should have been able to do this in the iPad...

...which leads to the [slight] possibility that they accomplished that one patent they filed whereby they have multiple video cameras embedded within the actual screen (between the led elements.) One can hope yes?

Comment

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
This sounds all too familiar...iPod Touch anyone? Next they will tear it apart and find that there is a location built for a camera. My guess is they want to wait until they can announce video chat across the board on the iphone, ipod touch and ipad. The problem I see is that the iPad will be on a different update cycle.

Comment

Microsoap

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Bouvet Island
^^^ hahaha Uh, nagro dude, Huffington Post's "Worst 9 Things About iPad" is enough to show ya a low-cost netbook could skate circles around your maxiPad. :D Enjoy buying that proprietary dock to use USB.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/29/apple-ipad-review-photos_n_441770.html

205xn9l.jpg

Comment

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
stuff

i actually buy what I like, and what I can afford. i'm not a mac junkie!

but, i don't like the backlash on the iPad that I'm hearing.

if anything, apple may have underestimated what a v1.0 of their products SHOULD be, now that the technology is out there.

a few of those features should be included. (flash, cam, multitasking). if those three were there, the backlash would probably be much quieter.

i don't disagree with those who say that the iPhone 4.0 update needs it's day, and they may have sacrificed some iPad features for a big bang with iPhone 4.0.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.