Apple Watch (1st Generation) Repair Story

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BaracksPhallusPalace, Jun 16, 2017.

1. BaracksPhallusPalace macrumors newbie

BaracksPhallusPalace

I went in to the Apple Store with the swollen battery issue on my 1st Generation Apple Watch 7000 series, and it was shipped off to Apple's repair facility. When I received the Watch, to my surprise it was no longer a 1st Generation, but they replaced it entirely with a Series 1. I've owned and sent in Apple products for repairs for years going back to my iPhone 4, but I always received the same model of device back that I sent in repair, even if it was a replacement device. Suffice to say, I'm pleasantly surprised that I got a free upgrade from my single core 1st generation watch to the dual core series 1... something I thought Apple would never do. Has anyone else had this experience with their 1st generation Apple Watch repair?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

A couple of others have reported this lately. It not that Apple is benevolent it is just with extra demanded for replacements because of the unforeseen expanding battery problem. Also it is likely that since the :apple:Watch uses a SiP chip that the replacement parts are no longer available to do S0 refurbs.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Another forum member reported this on a separate thread. The first Generation Watch might be more limited in numbers as replacement devices for the recent battery warranty have been likely growing now that it's been made public approximately a Month ago. More customers are coming forth having their Watches repaired/replaced and this is a result of this.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

But they still have to do S0 refurbs. The S1 isn't made in stainless steel, so if someone breaks an S0 Stainless watch there's no way Apple can replace it with an S1.

5. epca12 macrumors regular

That's really cool, I guess they must not have enough 1st gen parts or replacement models.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It could be that Apple has calculated and determined that in order to have enough S0 replacement parts for SS refurbs they need to cut back or offer the Sport as a S1 refurb replacement.

7. Hype-149 macrumors member

The same (well not swollen battery, but another issue) happened to me. I had an original Apple Watch (Purchased June 2015), sent it in for repairs due a crown issue and they actually swapped it out for a brand new Series 1 watch. I'm pretty happy with the end result.

I suppose they do not have any original replacement models left to swap with or maybe there's another reason.

8. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

My Series 0 Stainless Steel 42mm came back with the same Series 0 SS 42mm.

I guess yours was an aluminum model?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    That's why! Thanks.

9. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

Just had the same experience. Just got home from a trip and opened my replacement watch. Upgraded from a Series 0 to a Series 1 42mm aluminum. Had the battery issue as well. This is why I stick with Apple. Their customer service is second to none plus their products are awesome.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Does anyone think there's a chance that Apple is putting the processor from the S1/S2 into their SS S0 refurbs and just not saying anything about it? It's probably just in my head but I feel like my watch is faster since t was replaced a few weeks ago.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Good question, but I doubt it. All the Series Chips for the Apple Watch are actually a "System in Package", or known as SIP Chips, which is a combination of chips/circuits mounted together on a single integrated board chip. I don't see Apple switching internal components between different generations of the Apple Watch, seems like that could be convoluted for any repair processes.

12. Hype-149 macrumors member

It would be curious to know what Apple does with repairs on the $19,000 Watch Edition units that come back for repairs. If you purchased yours at release or close to and purchased Apple Care, you will have about a year left of warranty (3 years on those units) - I suppose Apple will have to keep parts around for those models.

Can't just swap with a new Generation 1 Sports Watch - I'd be pretty choked!

13. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The absolute numbers of the S0 Edition is a relatively low number for Apple so they probably handle it case by case. In all likelihood you send in your S0 Edition by registered mail and the internals are replaced and it is sent back to you. Apple would not need to keep may parts on hand to accomplish this.

Also may or most of the S0 Editions were bought by 1%ers as a 'throw away' fashion of the month statement that is just setting in the back of a draw anyway.

14. Diemenz macrumors member

I can add to this that I also received a series 1 to replace my first generation watch. The model number on the watch does not match anything on apple's site but when I checked the serial number it confirmed a generation 2 watch.

15. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I'm glad I came across this post. The face on my original Watch popped out this morning. I wasn't aware of the battery issue. Taking it to the Apple store later.

16. dangeng macrumors member

I too was lucky and received a Series 1 from Apple after having battery issues with my Gen0.

Truely a wonderful customer service and experience!!!

17. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Today the back piece of my replacement Apple Watch gen 1. fell off again after I pulled out the (original) charging cable. The replacement just came less than 2 weeks ago. I think this is an inherent problem of all gen 1 and I may as well give up on the Apple Watch. I'm quite tired of sending out the defective watch and waiting for a replacement a week later.

I'm very disappointed with Apple's QC esp. the "glue everywhere" principle in their design. I have never had any Apple products with this build quality. I guess that's why it's no longer the focus of Apple anymore. This thing just doesn't work under normal use case. I wear it to the office and I don't even do gym a lot. In no way a refurbished watch can be like this in such a short time.

18. Relentless Power, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I certainly don't think this is inherent problem with All first generation Apple Watches, but none the less, it's certainly is apparent. That said, it seems to be the Sport watches that are experiencing this the most over stainless watches from what I have been reading (Even though you have the stainless Watch). Also, I can't speak for your replacement watch that you received that was defective, but knowing Apple, they will rectify the issue until it's made right,
    Given you allow them the opportunity too.

I think every situation will vary, but I have never had an issue with any replacement device from them. But I would contact Apple and explain your situation. Also, if you have an issue with Apple's quality control, Apple needs to continually better themselves by receiving customer feedback. I would explain your concerns with their products and or other issues you have noted. They are the type of Company that values customer feedback.

19. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I received a Series 1 for replacement as well.

20. nicho macrumors 68020

this was my thinking when i took my wife's in earlier and noticed the replacement for her sport would be a series 1.

price cut on the series 1 over the AWS shows the new SiP is likely cheaper to manufacture (so rather than manufacturing first gens for warranty purposes, a faster series 1 suits everyone) but they can't do that with the SS ones... they can, however, salvage and refurb the internals of all the first gen AWSs that are heading their way, though, and use them where necessary for the guts of the SS.

21. recoil80 macrumors 68020

They would have to change the entire circuit board inside the AW to change the CPU and it may be possible they're doing it

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

But then it would also mean that some S0 Watches would get software updates for longer than other ones.

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Why are you waiting a week? AppleCare plus for the watch offers advanced exchange. They send you another one and you send yours back after the replacement comes.

Inherent? I have had series 0 before and it never happened to me. I did however choose the SS version and maybe they're built better? I have the series 2 SS right now.

Really not sure why this happens to some and not others. Climate has been suggested as a possible cause. I'm really not a fan of the 'glue everything' method either. Good luck!

24. nicho macrumors 68020

He obviously doesn't have AppleCare plus. It's not rocket science.

Also it's not available everywhere. China, for example, has no mail in repair program.

25. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Yeah, it would be weird.
    Hey, Apple said watchOS 5 isn't compatible with my AW, but I was able to install it anyway. Won't happen