Apple Watch 2 and current bands/straps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by smj1873, May 10, 2015.

?

Will the current watch bands from Apple work with Apple Watch 2?

1. Yes

129 vote(s)
    92.1%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. smj1873 macrumors member

Got my Watch on launch day and I've still not bought any extra straps to supplement my black sports band.

I'm about to splash out on a leather loop and possibly a Milanese as well but my question is, does anyone think the next Apple Watch will remain compatible with current bands/straps?

I'll happily spend the money on Apple Watch 2 as soon as its out but I don't want to have to spend £130 every time on a collection of straps if I've bought ones for this Watch.

2. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

For someone to know this, there would have to be a major leak out of Apple and Apple is very tight lipped about future development. NO ONE can give you a definitive answer. But because there is always a possibility of a change, and given your concerns, you shouldn't buy an extra band. I did, but that's me and many others. But it may not be the right thing for you. Good luck!

3. smj1873 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just looking for general opinion and guesswork.

The current Watch will no doubt be around until next September before its replaced in my opinion so an extra couple of bands just now isn't an issue.

I'd just really rather if I'm going to spend the money then they can be used on a future model. There's no way I'll be just surviving with 1 black sports band until a new Watch is released.

4. onethinline macrumors member

Of course no one knows for sure, but I'd be very, very surprised if Apple changed the design such that current first- and third-party bands are incompatible with the next version of Apple Watch. That'd make for a poor customer experience (Apple is very aware of this area). My guess is that the band connection will be analogous to the charging connector on the iPhone, which didn't change for many years.

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Apple will maintain band compatibility for at least the 2nd gen. I'd say even third unless there is a compelling reason to change them, but I don't see the case being reduced significantly enough in thickness to change the attachment point size until the batter technology is is improved dramatically.

So maybe three years before this becomes a real problem? I'm sure Apple will encourage buying additional bands as a business model, and would shoot themselves in the foot if they change the band attachment in the very next generation.

That said, every 2nd gen product from Apple has changed dramatically in appearance, from the iPhone to 3G, to the iPad and iPad 2. While the case isn't likely to be thinner, the width could change, or the taper and detailing around the corners, which would affect the way the lugs fit. Then again, the lugs are relatively easy to change. So even if they do change, there's likely to be an inexpensive solution to salvage most incompatible bands.

The reality is, I don't see the annual watch updates offering too much more over the previous model to drive upgrades. Software fixes should address most of the common problems I'm seeing. So what could a new watch possibly offer that would obsolete the old? A faster processor, which may or may not make a difference considering what the watch is used for. A FaceTime camera, which it sounds like few here would be interested in anyway. GPS, likewise. IPX8 rating -- for some. So unless they offer some new design of the case, I don't really see this being a real problem for most.

6. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

I'm guessing that the band connection will remain the same for at least another generation, but I'm certain that Apple and high-end third-party band makers will make us want to buy more bands than we planned, regardless of any pending obsolescence.

I seriously doubt that I'll want to use my two-year old blue leather loop band on a new watch if I decide to upgrade. The SS link bracelet? Maybe that will still retain all of its current sparkle. Or maybe Apple will release a new link bracelet that connects to the port and provides some new sensor that I can't resist having? Until then, I plan to own a few bands and enjoy them all.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68040

too $$

the current bands are WAY too expensive for apple to NOT maintain them at least 2 generations..that said, things could certainly change 2-3 years down the road.

I think the current band CLASP though could be pretty standard and last many generations so one could feasibly use current bands for many years to come

8. furqanrizwan macrumors newbie

Is apple watch really worth buying? i am looking fwd to buy smart watch by which i can see notifications and receive calls :p:rolleyes:

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If they do the iPhone routine of...

Apple watch
    Apple watch s
    Apple watch 2

Etc

Then you should be ok but honestly just enjoy your watch like I am. I've ordered a green sb and will order a classic buckle before the end of the week.

10. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Then buy one. :p:p:p:p

11. SunshineFires macrumors regular

SunshineFires

Do you guys think the current original straps from Apple will be compatible with Apple Watch 2? It seems a few people (including myself) have invested quite a bit in them and it would be bummer if they don't work with the second version due to a tweaked design.

What do you all think?

12. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Hopefully, although with the push to be thinner, they may not last too long.

13. ElCidRo macrumors regular

I think they will be, but for a couple of years. Then they will do a redesign and our straps will be obsolete. I invested in an extra Blue Leather Loop, but I don't regret it at all. So worth it!

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If a Space Black is available next time, I hope you won't be forced to buy it with a link bracelet since we already have one. Of course, I realize it will be a BETTER link bracelet at that time, but please...I'm not going to do $1100 again. In 15 months, maybe I'd do $600 again.

15. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is truly a fantasy, I recognize that. But I can dream... I would like to see Apple come out and say they love the band interlock system, and that they are committing to it for the next five years (or pick a reasonable time frame).

I will likely upgrade to the next watch as soon as it is released. I am doing that with all of my mobile Apple devices. I just got my first additional band, and I would really like to buy more. However, my gut is telling me that Apple will change the form factor in two years, and I will have to throw out all of my bands when that generation watch comes out. I am reticent to spend much on bands, if it is all a throw-away and I will need to start over with my watch upgrade. I hope that they do not treat the band interface like they do the charging and accessory ports with all of their other products.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet they'll stick with it until they make the case thinner than the connectors, which will be quite some time. Just like the transition to lightning port on the iPhone and to UBS-C port on the MacBook once they got too thin for the old ports.

17. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

iPhones and iPads have only had two styles of connectors so they are not that bad really. MAC is another story but mobile products have been pretty decent. I feel the same way though wondering if they will change but I have to believe they will not do anything for many years. Its a good system that should have no issues lasting with time.

18. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Not exactly. In fact, this was the worst to me. I am actually a bit surprised that we have not seen a major revision to the Lightning cable that makes all of our prior cables obsolete. They are a little behind schedule there.

30-pin Dock Cable Changes that made prior cables obsolete
    • They quietly changed the "accessory detect" behavior
    • They changed quietly from Firewire to USB charging in the 30-pin spec that obviated years of cables
    • The shrunk the physical dimensions slightly with the iPhone 4 (and matching bump case) that rendered prior cables unusable with the bump case
    • And I think one other change that I cannot remember off hand

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would not be shocked if within a couple of years the port switches to USB-C. That would make it a standard port and please the European regulators. I think the accessory-makers learned their lesson and seem to be more on the Bluetooth and WiFi wagons if possible. OR I could see an iPhone that uses USB-C and induction, thus making the USB-C port for accessories and focusing on not needing a cable to charge.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why dream about something you know that is impossible? Seems like a waste of emotion. I'm sure Apple will keep the concept, but surely the AW is going to slim down ever so much with each revision. That will affect the way the bands fit, so this generations design likely won't be compatible with the next model with a full design change.

21. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

If only I could control my dreams. Now that would be awesome. Is it impossible to ask Apple to create a sleep monitoring device that lets me control my dreams. ;)

22. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

To keep same straps, at least 3 design parameters will have to stay unchanged:

1. width of the channel
    2. curvature of the case in horizontal direction
    3. curvature of the case in vertical direction

This limits the design choices for the case dramatically. And this is a good excuse for Apple to introduce Bands v.2. And make a pooload of money on poor souls bringing their hard earned copecks to the Holy Altar Of The Rotten Fruit.

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I doubt it will change.

(A) There is no technical reason to change. No charging circuit, no data throughput, no other standard with which to maintain compatibility.

(B) Jony and Marc have already talked about how much they enjoy their traditional watches. Sure, they took the opportunity to change the worst aspect of regular watches — changing bands — but they also understand the permanence of quality timepieces.

I don't even expect the Watch to see a major update for quite a while. Apple's risk here is in sticking with the same form factor for longer than people are accustomed to seeing. We — that is, everyone on the planet outside of the Ive-Cook inner circle — won't know Apple's plans until the next upgrade announcement. I wouldn't get myself worked up about something that nobody knows.

24. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'd personally be shocked if they didn't as there will be a lot of ticked off Apple Watch owners who bought multiple bands and wanted to upgrade. I currently have the black sport (which came with the AW), leather loop and milanese loop. Apple making the watch thinner for generation 2 shouldn't have any effect on the groove to lock in the bands

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My prediction is they'll keep it until they make the case thinner than the connectors. Think Lightning port on iPhone and USB-C on MacBook. However, when the time comes they most certainly won't care about pissed off customers. They care more about making things thinner.