Apple Watch 2 Display Deconstructed Ahead of September 7 Event, Shows Attached NFC Chip

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

British repair shop Byte got its hands on an alleged Apple Watch 2 display component last week, and since then, has shared several videos showing off its design and comparing it to the display of the first-generation Apple Watch.

In its newest video, published this morning, Byte tore down the Apple Watch 2 display to give us a closer look at its individual components. According to Byte, the display is "the most advanced display of its kind," with an "incredibly thin" build that "incorporates cutting edge technology."

Using extreme cold, Byte was able to remove the display's cover glass and touch panel from the LCD assembly, along with the EMI shields from the chips. As can be seen in the video, the second-generation Apple Watch display incorporates an NXP NFC chip, which was previously a separate component not built into the display in the original Apple Watch.

What appears to be the touchscreen controller is sandwiched between the NFC chip on one side and capacitors on the other, a build that differs from the first generation device. It's not clear why NFC has been relocated to the display assembly, but it may save some internal space.

As we've seen in previous videos, the Apple Watch 2 display component is thinner than the display of the original Apple Watch (2.12 - 2.86mm vs 2.99 - 3.57mm), but given that we've also seen a larger, thicker battery, the Apple Watch 2 is likely to be the same size and shape as the first Apple Watch, despite the display changes.

The leaked Apple Watch 2 battery, which is for the 42mm device, measures in at 334 mAh, up from 246 mAh in the original Apple Watch. That's a 35.7 percent increase, said to be included to boost battery life and to support the GPS chip that's rumored to be in the second-generation device. Apple will unveil the Apple Watch 2 at a media event set to be held tomorrow, September 7.

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Display Deconstructed Ahead of September 7 Event, Shows Attached NFC Chip

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

That's very interesting considering there is no LCD in the apple watch.

4. bluespark macrumors 68000

They obviously will be.

5. swester macrumors regular

They are gonna sell a ton of these. So many people are waiting for the 2nd gen to jump in (self included).

6. bluespark macrumors 68000

Yes there is.

7. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I thought that as well. Either they meant the LED assembly, or we're in for a surprise with the next model...

8. jdillings macrumors 68000

This is Apple we're talking about

9. pentrix2 Suspended

10. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

MacRumors serving up the deconstructed apple for dessert.

[​IMG]

11. AirunJae macrumors regular

AirunJae

Wonder if having the NFC upfront like that makes it any quicker to use Apple Pay. Though it has never been that slow when I get to use it, I just want more vendors to use it in their POS registers.

12. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Hmm, where?

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Can't make it thinner - yet...

People NEED to upgrade every single time a new one's out... :eek:

14. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Me three!

Watch 1 did plenty to justify the price (so much that I keep forgetting awesome things it can do). But it did them all too sloooooowly. Watch OS 3 fixes that. And now a new generation will be even better still—with at least small refinements. Happy to have waited and done without one.

I wanted to wait for gen 3, but Watch OS 3 has convinced me to jump now. I'll hang on to it for 2–4 years before upgrading, and can only imagine how much these will have advanced by then!

15. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why wouldn't they? Not likely of Apple completely revamping the band port.

17. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    I thought I read somewhere...

Does anyone know if the display is larger? Is Apple going to start using some of that extra bezel space?

Thanks!

18. bluespark macrumors 68000

Forgive me, my response was meant to be to something else and I was careless. Unfortunately, I can't fix the earlier one. Didn't mean to misinform.

19. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

"They are gonna sell a ton of these..."
    No, they won't. Poor battery, no sleep measuring, needs an iPhone, too expensive...
    I use a lot of Apple stuff but the watch doesn't appeal to me. Still hanging on to Fitbit.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Meaning? Apple wouldn't have gone crazy with bands if they knew they would be replacing them with something completely different one year later.

21. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

"Using extreme cold..."

I totally just pictured Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze (from Batman & Robin) when I read this.

Attached Files:

22. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

There will be no need to change the band design for many versions of the watch. If you look at it from the side, you can see that they would have to cut its depth in half before they would be forced to change the band mount design. Many other things would prohibit that depth unless they totally design a new watch. Comparing its depth to the Bulova that I wore prior to getting the AW, its about 3/4 the depth of the AW, albeit with a more tapered off design as it gets to the band. I expect this band design to persist for a very long time.

23. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

i really don't think mobile payment will ever take off in the near future. People value convenience too much over security and it's just just easier for most people to take a card from their wallet to swipe. Especially when they only have one main card they use everyday. Also it's even more convenient to stick to the card when they deal with a lot of places that DON"T let you swipe -- you know the places that do the swiping for you. Then you factor in restaurants. It's just the fact that there are too many situations that make having a card mandatory or more "convenient" for the general public.

Merchants have no real incentives to adopt NFC payments, especially when they see the average Joe and Jane are just using plastic or cash to pay. Of course, if you have Samsung Pay, it helps alleviate that problem a little ;)

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

As with other Apple products it looks like the second generation is the one really worth getting.

25. AirunJae macrumors regular

AirunJae

I jumped in on Gen1 and have enjoyed it. I agree that the apps are typically pretty slow, but I mostly use it for notifications, fitness stuff, changing songs on my iPhone, and pinging my iPhone when I've forgotten where I laid it down. I think OS3 plus the new processor is going to be speedy.