Apple Watch 2 in pool no exercise

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hokiepokie07, May 27, 2017.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

My question on the Apple Watch 2 deals with using it in a pool for non-exercise. When I take my kids to the pool this summer, is it safe to keep my watch on in the pool, or should I take it off? I would imagine my watch/hand would be underwater most of the time.

Thanks!

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

How would the hardware know or react to water exercise. Software tells hardware: 'Batten down the hatches' we are about to exercise in the water.:D

4. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm thinking and I'll just rinse it off with fresh water to get the chorline and chemicals in the pool off.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Yes, Apple has stated you can use your Series 2 in the pool. They even have a swim measurement for the Series 2, as it's rated 50 meters water resistant.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Yes,it's water protected,but don't go diving with it. For triathlon swimmers and scuba use,the garmin fenix3 is far better protected.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Most people don't go scuba diving when they take their kids to the pool. :D:D:D

8. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Probably not,but the aw2 is only safe in shallow water. Of course,in a kid pool it should not be a problem.

9. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

The AW2 is rated to 50M, that is over 164' deep. SeaWorld's deepest tank is like 40 feet. So even if Shamu is your kid, you're probably OK in the pool?

10. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

50 meters is standard depth rating for all water resistant watches. Of course,as I said,it's no problem in a bath pool for kids,but if the aw2 is so good as you think under water,why is it not rated for 250 meters,like my old mechanical Rolex submariner and my doxa diving watch? The Apple Watch is ok for light swimming and bathing,but I would not trust it at 30 meters depth...

11. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

True, but most pools are only 9-10' max. I can't imagine a scenario where it would be a problem to wear an AW2 in the pool, kiddie pool or not.

Fenix 3, mentioned also isn't dive rated. Its water rating is 10ATM, which while twice as good as the AW2, is still only suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. Not suitable for diving.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

The other watches you mention are in a whole different genre and more suitable for driving obviously. But I don't think twice about the AW2 in the pool and so far it hasn't been an issue.

12. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Yes,exactly what I said,but of course,you need to be a bit more careful with the Apple Watch in water.
    Guess I am a bit paranoid about water resistant watches,but that might be because my experiences as North Sea oil rig diver.

13. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

I can see how that could make you a little less trusting of the rating, but if the damned thing can stand up to some recreational swimming in a 10' pool, why bother stamping it :)

14. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

good point,guess it's just my paranoid mind.

15. Relentless Power, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Technically, Stefan Johansson is correct about when he said the Apple Watch Should Only be used in shallow water, as specified in Post #8. Apple specifies the Watch can "Be used in shallow water activities." But they tend to be conservative with ratings, especially being the Series 2 is rated 50 meters/160 Feet.

" Apple Watch Series 2 may be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water."

16. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Original/S0 :apple:Watch. :D

[/url]

17. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

That same tester swam laps for 1000 m with the Original/S0 watch as well. Even the original Apple watch, only rated "splash proof" seems to be more water resistant than advertised.

18. warburg macrumors 6502a

Isn't it a good idea to swipe up on any screen and turn on the blue teardrop feature before entering a pool or rinsing off your watch?

19. Relentless Power, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

No. Water lock is automatic when you start swimming to prevent any accidental display taps. When completed, you turn the crown to eject any water.

To manually clear water from Apple Watch, swipe up on the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center, tap Water Lock, then turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear water from the speaker.

20. warburg macrumors 6502a

OK, but the manual states that "When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with Water Lock to avoid accidental taps." It doesn't say anything about simply entering a pool without doing a swimming workout.

21. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worked fine for me over the weekend in the pool! I just swiped up when I arrived at the pool and clicked the water icon. I wasn't working out in the pool with my kids, just swimming and playing, so I wasn't trying to document any swimming exercise.

When I got home, I locked it again with the water icon and just ran it through fresh water to get the chemicals and chlorine off.

22. warburg macrumors 6502a

Well, that's what I meant. I click the teardrop water icon in the Control Panel before entering the pool or before washing the watch.

23. 576316 macrumors 601

On a slightly off-topic but relevant note: does anybody shower with an S2? Does it cope well with soap and stuff?

24. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I have showered with my S0 over 700 times and no problems.

25. profets macrumors 601

The original Apple Watch was definitely underrated for water use. I did a lot of lane swimming (usually 1000m at a time) and open water swimming (upwards of 1500m in several triathlons) with mine for over a year before upgrading to the Series 2.

Lol I still remember the September Event when the video started for the Series 2 introduction and a swimming standing at a pool, I was so pumped just from seeing that.