Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The third-generation Apple Watch, expected to be introduced alongside new iPhones this fall, does not feature an obvious change to form factor, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a new note shared with investors this afternoon, Kuo says LTE connectivity will be the main selling point of the new device.

applewatcheditionceramic-800x294.jpg

The Apple Watch will keep the same two case sizes, 38mm and 42mm, and will be available in LTE and non-LTE versions, much like the iPad. Previous rumors have suggested the major carriers in the United States will offer add-on cellular service for the new LTE Apple Watch, and the plans may work similarly to iPad data plans.

Kuo believes shipments of the new Apple Watch models will reach 8 to 9 million units in the second half of 2017, with the LTE model to account for 35 to 40 percent of shipments. Overall, he forecasts 17.5 to 18 million units shipped in 2017, up 70 percent year-over-year.

According to Kuo, to drive major growth, Apple needs to introduce a radical form factor change, more FDA approvals supporting medical and health applications, and 5G commercialization.

Bloomberg first suggested the third-generation Apple Watch would include support for LTE in early August, allowing the wrist-worn device to be uncoupled from the iPhone for the first time.

Following Bloomberg's report, Daring Fireball's John Gruber said he had heard from a "little birdie" that the third-generation Apple Watch would feature an "all-new form factor," but he warned that the information might be inaccurate.

Based on Kuo's report and a lack of rumors hinting at major design changes, it appears we may not see significant design changes after all.

Article Link: Apple Watch 3 Won't Have 'Obvious Change' to Form Factor, LTE to Be Main Selling Point

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014
it looks like john gruber has a personal vendetta against mark gurman.

first he attacked mark gurman for being late in the rumors. then when mark posted a scoop on the apple watch 3, gruber mentioned that mark missed the form factor change (which he did mention to take it with a grain of salt).

will offer add-on cellular service for the new LTE Apple Watch, and the plans may work similarly to iPad data plans
it might be feasible at $1/mo, but even then i still wouldn't pay for it. maybe apple will offer a free 2 year service.

Last edited:
Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Thats fine.

Edit: The more I think about this the more I dont want another device on my plan. I might buy an LTE version so I can but I dont know that I want another charge on the account since what I have today suits me fine. Maybe my better buy is an update without LTE, guess I will have to see if they announce anything and what they have to say about it.

Last edited:
Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I’m very curious to see how Apple with work with carriers for the cellular connectivity / plans for the Watch. Being an eSIM, I hope it doesn’t take forever for carriers to get on board. I’m mainly worried it’ll be limited to a few carriers in the US at launch.

first he attacked mark gurman for being late in the rumors. then when mark posted a scoop on the apple watch 3, gruber mentioned that mark missed the form factor change (which he did mention to take it with a grain of salt).

Have you listened to the episode (maybe few years back now) when Gurman was on the Talk Show with Gruber? Pretty interesting interactions with them.

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Here's what I don't understand...

People always say Mark Gurman is good at reporting on future Apple products.

But he obviously has a reliable source somewhere, right? He's not figuring this stuff out on his own. He doesn't seem to possess some special skill.

I'd be good at reporting future products if I had someone feeding me information! :p

Last edited:
Comment

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Is there a lot of demand to pay carriers more money? I'll wait another year if that's the only difference. My watch series 0 is going strong but looks like hell.

I don't see anyone offering this service for free(included in my crazy monthly service charge) and that's a shame because that's the only way I would partake.

I can see tomorrow's article already: Apple Watch 3 supply constraints at launch. Lol

Last edited:
Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014
Here's what I don't understand...

People always say Mark Gurman is good at reporting on future Apple products. (maybe not this time though...)

But he obviously has a reliable source somewhere, right? He's not figuring this stuff out on his own. He doesn't seem to possess some special skill.

I'd be good at reporting future products if I had someone feeding me information! :p

what do you mean? mark gurman seems to be accurate this time as well as most of his previous reports.

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
what do you mean? mark gurman seems to be accurate this time as well as most of his previous reports.

Ok... I don't know much about this time... I was going off what you said Gruber said. Scratch that. Let me start over...

Does Mark Gurman have people feeding him information?

If so... then what is Mark Gurman good at? He's just reporting what other people are telling him, right?

I could do that too. It doesn't require any special skills.

Comment

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
That's it??? LTE? I'm fine with what I have... I wonder if they'll come out with a special band for it.. One that can do more things.. Maybe read
blood pressure??

The third-generation Apple Watch, expected to be introduced alongside new iPhones this fall, does not feature an obvious change to form factor, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a new note shared with investors this afternoon, Kuo says LTE connectivity will be the main selling point of the new device.

applewatcheditionceramic-800x294.jpg

The Apple Watch will keep the same two case sizes, 38mm and 42mm, and will be available in LTE and non-LTE versions, much like the iPad. Previous rumors have suggested the major carriers in the United States will offer add-on cellular service for the new LTE Apple Watch, and the plans may work similarly to iPad data plans.

Kuo believes shipments of the new Apple Watch models will reach 8 to 9 million units in the second half of 2017, with the LTE model to account for 35 to 40 percent of shipments. Overall, he forecasts 17.5 to 18 million units shipped in 2017, up 70 percent year-over-year.

According to Kuo, to drive major growth, Apple needs to introduce a radical form factor change, more FDA approvals supporting medical and health applications, and 5G commercialization.

Bloomberg first suggested the third-generation Apple Watch would include support for LTE in early August, allowing the wrist-worn device to be uncoupled from the iPhone for the first time.

Following Bloomberg's report, Daring Fireball's John Gruber said he had heard from a "little birdie" that the third-generation Apple Watch would feature an "all-new form factor," but he warned that the information might be inaccurate.

Based on Kuo's report and a lack of rumors hinting at major design changes, it appears we may not see significant design changes after all.

Article Link: Apple Watch 3 Won't Have 'Obvious Change' to Form Factor, LTE to Be Main Selling Point

Reactions: jpn
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
maybe apple will offer a free 2 year service.
Tee hee. This seems likely.:rolleyes: Seriously, those who want LTE connectivity will pay for the service. Those who don't want LTE will get the regular AW3. Those who want LTE but don't want to pay for the service, they'll just have to get the regular AW3 or suck it up and pay for the service. Choice is good thing.

Apple offering 2 years free service...o_O:D

Comment

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Intersting how many people want a "slimmer design." The Apple Watch is already thinner than most mechanical watches, unless you compare it to cheap quartz movement watches.

Otherwise, having LTE on AW seems interesting. I really wonder how it will affect battery life, and how decent reception will be. Having the option to not carry a phone at all, and just take AW + AirPods is a pretty interesting thought.

Comment

Manatee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Still hoping they broaden the line of Apple Watches to meet the needs of various users, will are versions having a core feature set and UI.

For myself, I'd like a larger watch with more features like the Garmin Fenix, more data on screen, and more battery.

Others would prefer a slimmer version, which would be more like a classic, stylish watch.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.