Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I just wanted to say I went on rollercoasters all day on Saturday and had no problem. Never did I feel the watch would fall off or something.

EDIT: I have a Sport and used the Sport Band.

Just in case anyone was still worried :)

Last edited:

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I would be mad if the magnets get loose

What magnets are you worrying about? If you survive without losing all your organs, then the magnets and everything else will survive. Just how powerful do you think the rollercoaster is? How do people come up with this stuff?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
What magnets are you worrying about? If you survive without losing all your organs, then the magnets and everything else will survive. Just how powerful do you think the rollercoaster is? How do people come up with this stuff?

I think he's talking about the magnet that holds the milanese loop together, so he's not as insane as you make it sound.

starbot

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2005
The only ones I'd worry about are in the ML or leather loop.. don't want the watch coming lose on a coaster. If the magnets are reasonably strong, I wouldn't worry.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
I just wanted to say I went on rollercoasters all day on Saturday and had no problem. Never did I feel the watch would fall off or something.

Did it count it as one step?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
What's really crazy is the fact that the Transformers ride takes place across two different floors of that building. The transition is done so well I can't even tell where it happens.

This.

I recently rode the Transformers similation ride at Universal in Orlando and wow. Those drops were scary. The Simpsons simulation ride was pretty good as well.

Reactions: MartyCan

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
This.

I recently rode the Transformers similation ride at Universal in Orlando and wow. Those drops were scary. The Simpsons simulation ride was pretty good as well.

I rode the simpsons and transformers at Universal Cali. It was okay.

NKK

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015
I just back from an amusement park and was wearing my Apple Watch after only having it one week. I had the sports band. I went on one of the faster rides and the sports band popped right off my wrist!!!! I've been trying to tell Apple Care that it is a product defect issue as it doesn't seem the Watch was tested in these conditions (or maybe there was something wrong with my band). Be Careful!!!! I doubt I'll buy an Apple Watch again after this experience.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Hello, like a lot of you I'm looking forward to my Apple watch delivery (fingers crossed on Friday). As a big rollercoaster fan I was wondering if any of you know how the Apple Watch will manage these sorts of extremes. Will the activity monitor go a bit mad?

I've worn my Apple Watch in environments that are fairly extreme (6+ sustained Gs during a 180 degree G-awareness turn in F-16) without anything freaking out or breaking (Airplane mode of course!) so I think you are plenty safe in the rolllercoaster.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Most roller-coasters vastly exceed the acceleration and jerk you would experience in a car or even an airplane. I would think the accelerometer would go a little nuts, but no idea how that might be interpreted in terms of exercise.

Car and plane, yes, but I doubt a roller coaster would exceed that of a big bike. A lot of the modern 1000cc bikes will do 0-60 in about 2.5 seconds and 0-100 in about 5.5 seconds. Not to mention they can reach lean angles of 55* on track. Wouldn't even think twice about wearing it on the bike, well apart from damaging it if the worst happened, but the sensors going mental? Come on people, be real.

Reactions: cschmelz

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I just back from an amusement park and was wearing my Apple Watch after only having it one week. I had the sports band. I went on one of the faster rides and the sports band popped right off my wrist!!!! I've been trying to tell Apple Care that it is a product defect issue as it doesn't seem the Watch was tested in these conditions (or maybe there was something wrong with my band). Be Careful!!!! I doubt I'll buy an Apple Watch again after this experience.
You have to close the clasp. ::rollseyes::

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

I've made 58 skydives with my Apple Watch and a sport band and it's extremely secure. It's not going anywhere.

And in case anyone is wondering, yep, I've activated it in freefall and used it to check my heart rate.

Reactions: cschmelz

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I've made 58 skydives with my Apple Watch and a sport band and it's extremely secure. It's not going anywhere.

And in case anyone is wondering, yep, I've activated it in freefall and used it to check my heart rate.
Ok so the Apple Watch has been out for 50 days... You've dove 58 times... Uh do you happen to be one of those diving assistant people for a living? Lol

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Can't see any problem for the Watch.

It can easily handle aerobatics, skydiving, etc.

Roller coaster is relatively gentle in terms of acceleration.

And I am quite sure the human body will reach our own acceleration limitation before the watch.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I'm being super picky when I point this out, but the height of the tower is 456. The drop is more like 418.

You should try Top Thrill. It's a few feet shorter and doesn't have the bunny hop, but I'd trade both those things for a lap bar instead of an OTSR in a heartbeat.
Top Thrill Dragster one of the wildest Coasters I've ever ridden! I just wish the ride was a bit longer. Never had my AW on it though. It was a few years back.

I wear my Sport band Mountain Biking and it's never moved. You'd have to drag your arm on something just right to release the band.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Ok so the Apple Watch has been out for 50 days... You've dove 58 times... Uh do you happen to be one of those diving assistant people for a living? Lol

Yes, I skydive for a living. Believe it or not, I've been traveling a lot in the last month for other projects, so 58 jumps in almost 7 weeks is pretty low for me. Normally, this time of the year, I make around 90 jumps a month.

And? What was the result?

My heart rate in freefall was 74. My resting heart rate (lying down) is 48-51. Truthfully though, jumping is routine for me, so I wasn't surprised my heart rate was that low.

Reactions: The Doctor11

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Just an update. I've now skydived with my Apple Watch 134 times, with speeds ranging from 110 mph to 187 mph. No issues yet.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Top Thrill Dragster one of the wildest Coasters I've ever ridden!

What a wild ride - definitely the most intense coaster we've ever ridden. We haven't been back to Cedar Point in several years, I think there's like 2 or 3 new coasters. Our last ride there (i.e., we rode, left the park) was after midnight, front seats on the Millennium Force - that was pretty crazy too, dropping into almost complete darkness :D

Just an update. I've now skydived with my Apple Watch 134 times, with speeds ranging from 110 mph to 187 mph. No issues yet.

That's full of badassery. You should take a photo during a jump and contribute to the "Show your Watch" thread :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.