Apple Watch and Spotify

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by duckduckgoose, Apr 16, 2015.

1. duckduckgoose macrumors newbie

I use Spotify pretty much exclusively for music as opposed to the Music app on my iPhone. I'm really hoping that Spotify will have an app ready for the launch but even more importantly that it can store songs locally on the watch for use when running. Can 3rd party apps store music or are they limited to a tiny amount of space?

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I read in a review that the watch can control basic transport controls for Spotify. I don't believe Spotify will have an app by launch. It's highly unlikely you would be able to store songs from app either. Not 100%, but that's what I gathered the last time I read into it a couple weeks ago

3. Ries macrumors 68000

Playing spotify music without the phone, would require a native spotify app. Not allowed yet, so no, you can't run without your phone and use spotify.

4. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

Although a Spotify app would be ideal, I have a guess by using the Glances (swipe up from bottom) function that one could control at least the basic functionality of playing music from Spotify without a specific app. Of course I'm making the assumption that the Glances function from the watch for controlling music would be similar to using Control Center on the iPhone.

5. RogerEast macrumors regular

Judging by how long it took Spotify to create an iPad app, we might be waiting a while. :(

6. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I'd expect a Watch SDK announced at WWDC in June. Then this fall or so, in time for holiday shopping, the watch hopefully gets an update that lets it run native code. For the moment, much like the first iPhone, I suspect Apple is being very cautious in what the watch can do, and likely still tweaking stuff behind the scenes. For now, any non-Apple watch app is merely a Bluetooth-fed "projection" of screens basically.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I would be incredibly surprised if Spotify supported it.

It took them ages to support the iPad, ages to support the iPhone 5 and even longer to support the iPhone 6/6+.

8. danielbroad macrumors newbie

danielbroad

Spotify also uses an audio format that iOS doesn't support hardware decoding for, a while back with older devices it was really noticeable that your iPhone would run down quicker playing Spotify than just iTunes music.

If that carries over to the watch, don't expect to get much play time.

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There is nothing stopping Spotify create a remote app for the Watch.

The phone would play music and do all the heavy lifting, but you could select Playlists/albums/songs from the watch.

That would be good enough for me.

10. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Also waiting to see what spotify comes up with. As a premium subscriber i would hope that the watch can at least control the music if i have the app opened on my phone.

I dont have too many songs downloaded to my phone.
    Spotify ftw

11. damant macrumors 6502

damant

We won't probably be able to store music on the watch.
    But I'm hopping for an "express" version that would let you stream your downloaded music from your iphone and modify the playlist from the watch.

12. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

I see it this way, if Spotify don't release an app by June I am cancelling my premium subscription and getting a subscription with beats. I am certain beats will be native on the Apple watch allowing me to store music offline etc.

13. damant macrumors 6502

damant

14. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

2 gigs is plenty if you're putting your favourite playlists on there and changing it every month. It won't fit your entire library though, just your favourites. Remember, the watch isn't replacing your phone which has your entire library, just enhancing it.

15. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm not sure I will cancel Spotify but I really want to. Its a fantastic service that I have used since about launch and use daily for several hours. I really want to cancel though because I want Beats to be what Spotify is plus mix in my iTunes music and become a native app/service. I prefer to have something native than 3rd party but only when its at least as good.

16. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I sure would like to see spotify on the watch also. However, it took them forever to update the app for the 6 and 6 plus. I think it wasn't updated until February. Hopefully they just have basic controls around the watch release date.

17. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

18. gonzalo12345 macrumors member

and update the app for the iphone 6/6+....

19. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

If the album art and music controls show on the iPhone lock screen then they will show on the watch's Music app. Spotify supports this. :)

20. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Oh that's great news!

Thank you.

21. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

Yeah the controls work in the Music glance - play/pause/back/forward and volume but not in the music app. Looks like we'll have to wait for Spotify to get an official App for anything else!

22. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

There's a third-party app available on the Watch app store called "Joy" that acts as a front-end for Spotify and uses your spotify credentials. It seems to be only voice-activated, at least on the Watch side (it also installs a phone app). It's almost nonfunctional for now; it either doesn't respond to voice requests, or plays the wrong song. e.g., I say "play enjoy the silence" and it plays me a random Depeche Mode song.

Good to know about the Glances view--wouldn't have noticed that without this thread.

23. Fwingonga macrumors member

Handy to know! Thanks - that's reassuring as Spotify is my main music app on my iPhone (premium user).

24. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Played Spotify through my iPhone last night and used the Remote on the Watch to pause/play songs for the first time.

Great!

25. DeLoMan macrumors regular

I'm using Joy for Spotify both on the iPhone and Apple Watch. Works well by voice commands. The app must be open on the phone to use the watch App, but its a nice feature to have.