Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Apple Watch will get released soon. What apps would you like to see on your Apple Watch?

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Espn
Flipboard
Steam
WhatsApp
Twitter
Facebook

Look, I'm a big fan of Flipboard... But it has no place on a watch. I can see Steam for chat applications or whatever, but seriously, Flipboard? How would that even work? Would it show headlines only or full stories?

I guess you can count me in the camp of "the watch has its own special purposes and some apps are best left on the phone/tablet."

That said, RunKeeper, Strava and Wahoo are my fitness trio of choice for the Apple Watch.

I'd say Honeywell for their smart thermostats (or Nest if you've got it), but their iPhone app leaves much to be desired (IE: login every time you use the app) so I'm not thinking a watch app would be particularly useful.

It's a stretch, but there's one awesome app which I would love to have on the watch: Just Landed. For those who don't know, it's a flight tracker which looks at your location, traffic and flight delays, then tells you when to leave so you can pick someone up at the airport. My only complaint is that it should do the same for when to leave to drop someone off too, but seriously it's a great app. Being able to check my watch and it gives me an accurate countdown for how much time I have left would be an amazing improvement from simply checking the time. Actually, I wish I had an app that did that for literally everything. "Oh, my pizza will be ready exactly when I arrive if I leave in five minutes? Cool." "Hey, we need to leave in 17 minutes if we want to get to the theater when the doors open." Etc. Sure, you can check the map, get a travel estimate, plan ahead how much time you need, check the map again when you want to leave and keep adjusting your timing, but why not have an app do that for you?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's a stretch, but there's one awesome app which I would love to have on the watch: Just Landed. For those who don't know, it's a flight tracker which looks at your location, traffic and flight delays, then tells you when to leave so you can pick someone up at the airport.

This will be awesome for all forms of public transportation. In New York, there is now a website you can check to see the location of buses. While great, we have to keep checking the website every few minutes to see if the buses are close enough that you should make your way to the bus stop. What we need is an app to notify you when the bus is 2 stops away, or whatever distance you set. Such notifications coming to your phone would be great, but on a watch it'd be truly awesome.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
A Weather App that takes information from my local weather station.

I don't use the Apple weather App on my iPhone as it mostly shows wrong information.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Look, I'm a big fan of Flipboard... But it has no place on a watch. I can see Steam for chat applications or whatever, but seriously, Flipboard? How would that even work? Would it show headlines only or full stories?

I guess you can count me in the camp of "the watch has its own special purposes and some apps are best left on the phone/tablet."

That said, RunKeeper, Strava and Wahoo are my fitness trio of choice for the Apple Watch.

I'd say Honeywell for their smart thermostats (or Nest if you've got it), but their iPhone app leaves much to be desired (IE: login every time you use the app) so I'm not thinking a watch app would be particularly useful.

It's a stretch, but there's one awesome app which I would love to have on the watch: Just Landed. For those who don't know, it's a flight tracker which looks at your location, traffic and flight delays, then tells you when to leave so you can pick someone up at the airport. My only complaint is that it should do the same for when to leave to drop someone off too, but seriously it's a great app. Being able to check my watch and it gives me an accurate countdown for how much time I have left would be an amazing improvement from simply checking the time. Actually, I wish I had an app that did that for literally everything. "Oh, my pizza will be ready exactly when I arrive if I leave in five minutes? Cool." "Hey, we need to leave in 17 minutes if we want to get to the theater when the doors open." Etc. Sure, you can check the map, get a travel estimate, plan ahead how much time you need, check the map again when you want to leave and keep adjusting your timing, but why not have an app do that for you?

I envision flipboard as headlines on the watch, and then if you see any stories you like, save them for later and then read them on the phone. Maybe that's too complicated, but we don't really know the watches main uses until it launches. I'd like steam just to check out the sales for the day/week, although I can't see valve releasing an app like that.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I envision flipboard as headlines on the watch, and then if you see any stories you like, save them for later and then read them on the phone. Maybe that's too complicated, but we don't really know the watches main uses until it launches. I'd like steam just to check out the sales for the day/week, although I can't see valve releasing an app like that.

It would be great if the watch has Hand Off feature, in that whatever you're looking at the watch, if you take out the phone, swipe Flipboard icon on the Home Screen you will be taken directly to that story.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Nike +
I'm sure this one is already coming.

In a future watch (with GPS), Nike and a host of other fitness apps would truly be phone-free for accurate route/distance information.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
The Harmony Remote app would be cool. I could control everything from my wrist! Never have to reach for the control again!! (or search for it) :D

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Clear (to-do list)

(Real) Football goal alerts - though this just needs to be notifications rather than a full app. This is perfect for the watch, kinda awkward on a phone.

Spotify/Overcast controller

Chromecast remote would be cool too.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Health Alert

It's an app for health warning. Since we don't really know much about the health sensors for Watch, this app could be anything (open for future additions) including but not limited to Cholesterol level, blood sugar level, heart rate, etc. based on the sensors within the Watch. Imagine how many life can this feature save if it's working as intended.

Relationship

It's an app for communication through gestures to your loved ones, ie. you draw something of the watch face and the other person sense it in real time.

Self Improvements

It's an app to remind you gently (subtly: nudge nudge) at specific time to: move around, drink water, take a deep breath, etc.

Goal/Target of the Day

It's also a simple app to shows your progress during the day (in a clock face) of what you set as your goal of the day, be it writing that chapter of book/blog, 30 minutes running, steps, studying that particular subject, etc.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Things, but given Cultured Code's laid back time schedule we should expect to see it sometime in late 2017 (At least they were quality over quantity with the iOS 7 update)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.