Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Has anyone tried to use the Apple Watch as an alarm clock? My intent was to stop using my iphone as an alarm clock because it would wake my wife up. if it does, is the vibration strong?

Thanks!

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
I wouldn't wake up from the taptic engine. It's not strong enough if you're in deep sleep. ( may depend on your sleep )

Used it as an alarm clock while charging. Worked flawless.

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, But I also don't want to wake my wife up. was hoping for a setting to make the haptics stronger.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Yeah, But I also don't want to wake my wife up. was hoping for a setting to make the haptics stronger.

I came from a pebble and used it all the time for that feature, but, the Apple watch haptic just isn't strong enough for me to wake up (I've tried it multiple times), even when setting multiple alarms.

It might seem crazy but I'd recommend picking up a pebble, you can get them for like $50 bucks and wear it while the apple watch is charging. I think it would wake you up and not the wife

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I actually had a pebble steel, i decided to sell it for the apple watch. problem is wife's a light sleeper so when the pebble steel vibrated, she would hear it. Heres hoping I'm not too deep of a sleeper. maybe there will be an app to make the feedback more pronounced.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I would love to use it like this since I hate waking wife up with alarm when I get up but I charge the watch at night and I prefer to wear it during the day rather than charge it then.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Neither Fitbit nor Apple Watch is strong enough to wake me up.

Sometimes electric shock isn't strong enough to wake me up.

Reactions: X5-452

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Is there any way to increase the volume of the alarm tone on the watch, it's not very loud.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I don't like wearing a watch when I sleep, so I used the alarm tone. It works well enough, but I really wish you could have different sounds (just like on the iPhone) and that you could make it louder (I am a deep sleeper)...

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I don't like wearing a watch when I sleep, so I used the alarm tone. It works well enough, but I really wish you could have different sounds (just like on the iPhone) and that you could make it louder (I am a deep sleeper)...

I'm talking about if you need an alarm like on a normal watch.

bacATapple

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
I actually had a pebble steel, i decided to sell it for the apple watch. problem is wife's a light sleeper so when the pebble steel vibrated, she would hear it. Heres hoping I'm not too deep of a sleeper. maybe there will be an app to make the feedback more pronounced.
Which watch do you have? I had the sport SG first and switched to the SS. I feel like the haptic was stronger on the Sport.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
works fine for me but i am not the best person to compare yourself with cuz i have a perfect "inner clock". like u tell me i have to be up by 7 and i will wake up at 6:45 by myself :D

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I've started doing this as well and LOVE it. I'm a pretty deep sleeper but have found the hactics to be strong enough. Plus the alarm haptic is continuous until u hit snooze or off on the screen. It's not just a couple buzzes like when u get a text message.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It depends.

My personal advice is set the watch alarm 5min earlier than your phone. If it can wake you up, then switch off the phone's alarm by yourself.

If that doesn't work, then your phone will wake you up as a fail safe system.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr

x-android

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
Has anyone tried to use the Apple Watch as an alarm clock? My intent was to stop using my iphone as an alarm clock because it would wake my wife up. if it does, is the vibration strong?

Thanks!

works perfect. turn your sounds and dnd on.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Been using the apple watch as an alarm for the past week and a half and woke up every time, even after only 5.5 hrs of sleep. As you mentioned, I use it mostly not to wake up my wife and it's also much less shocking to wake up from a tap on the wrist than an audible alarm.

Give it a try, set your audible alarm for 5 minutes past your apple watch alarm and see how you respond to it. It's def worth a try.

Last edited:

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I had a fitbit and that was great for waking me up but this thing just doesnt have the juice. I just sleep with my phone next to me and make sure my ringers on full volume.

Scaleo

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Munich, Germany
I also use it as an alarm.
It's on silent, but the vibrations achieved to wake me up every single time. I´m still a bit nervous about it, so I usually have an alarm ready on my iPhone as well. I think this will change in the future and the watch will do the job all on it's own :D

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
if you sleep with Apple Watch on for the alarm when do you charge the watch? I guess I could as I shower and get ready for work but I'm not sure it's enough time to fully charge Apple Watch.

Scaleo

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Munich, Germany
I charge it when ever I have the time for. For example half an hour in the office, in the morning sometimes when I'm under the the shower or in the evening but most likely never full. Just enough for the next few hours.
Today for example I charged it for half an hour while having dinner, now it's again around 50% and this will the take me through the night (its 9pm where I live at the moment ) and will still be enough for the a few hours tomorrow.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015

Thanks!

Yes, it works great. Turn on Prominent Haptics. The watch acts as a snooze remote control for an alarm you have set on your iPhone (if you set the alarm on your iPhone then sleep wearing the watch, the watch will also ring & vibrate when the phone alarm goes off)

if you sleep with Apple Watch on for the alarm when do you charge the watch? I guess I could as I shower and get ready for work but I'm not sure it's enough time to fully charge Apple Watch.

Yes, it charges pretty much to full in the time it takes to do a typical morning routine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.