Apple Watch Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RocketOnMC, Mar 1, 2018.

1. RocketOnMC macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,
    My first post on the MacRumors Forums is going to be about my Apple Watch Series 1.
    I got an Apple Watch in June of last year (2017), and it worked fine, but kept draining my iPhone 5s. The battery life was fine on the iWatch until I upgraded to a iPhone 6s on Black Friday 2017. It worked fine until December, where I saw that the battery life was not that good on my iWatch. It would fall to 90% within the first 15 minutes of wearing it without any usage. I found myself resetting my Apple Watch 3 times each week, so I decided to go to the Apple Store near me and get it fixed. They shipped it to the Apple Repair Center in Pennsylvania, where they replaced it for me. I got the replacement back, and then after a few days, the same thing happened, except that it would remain at 100% for 2 hours, and then start draining after it reaches 99% (without any usage). I then reset all content and settings on my phone. It didn't help. Then I got it shipped again to the Apple Repair Center, this time in California. They said nothing's wrong with my replacement. I haven't gotten it yet, but I know nothing is going to be fixed. I need help with my watch. (Sorry for the long essay!)
    Thanks,
    RocketOnMC

2. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

It's probably 1 or 2 of your apple watch apps and/or Complications that's not shutting down properly. I've had this problem before and was able to troubleshoot the issue. This is what I did:

1) Check battery usage vs standby on your iPhone Apple Watch app. If usage is very high vs standby it confirms that problem.
    2) (Optional) Unpair the watch and then re-pair.
    3)Uninstall your non apple apps on your iPhone Apple Watch app
    4) fully charge watch
    5) when 100% put the watch in Theatre Mode.
    6) Observe the battery drain. Should stay at 100% for some time. Check Usage and Standby again and notice Usage is significantly less the Standby time. If everything is working ok charge back to 100% and reinstall apps one at a time.
    7) continue through the process as above. You should be able to identify the app and/or Complication that's causing the high drain.

It's tedious but will help solve the problem.

Tip - As you're charging to 100% and then testing you only have to go to 96,97 or 98% to see how it's performing.After that you can just charge back to 100% and continue testing with the next app. The big thing to look for is Usage vs Standby. If you are showing 2.5 hours Usage and 3 hours Standby it's an app problem.

3. RocketOnMC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response, however I've done all that. Is there anything else I can do?

4. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

Did you uninstall all the non Apple apps and then add them one at a time? Testing each app's performance. Coincidentally I'm going through this right now. Went from 100% to 99% in 39 minutes with 33 minutes usage. I'm suspecting MLB app and going through the process.

5. RocketOnMC thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't have any 3rd-party apps installed either.

6. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

Sorry. That's all I can suggest.

7. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

When I unpaired and re-paired I did it as new. This worked. Did you re-pair as new?

8. 0004986 Suspended

It’s normal for an Apple Watch to stay at 100% for the first few hours and then drain gradually over the next few hours. It drains way faster once it’s less than 50% level.
    To sum it up, the battery drain isn’t linear.

How’s the battery drain for you after it goes down to 99%?

9. RocketOnMC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, over and over again!
    It's really bad; goes down 10% in 15 minutes without any usage!

10. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

Sounds like a defective battery problem if you've done all that and this is going on.