Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
If I were to get one, battery wouldn't be a big issue for me as I wouldn't use any social stuff and just look at the time and track my fitness. And since I train 2 hours and do yoga 1 hour, battery would last!

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
18 hours is better than I thought....although if you're using it for a fitness/sleep tracker you'll have to have it off during some period while its charged. (wonder how much charging can get done while you're in the shower?)

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
So you're getting an Apple Watch in 3 years? Have fun waiting :cool:

18 hours is more than reasonable. How many hours a day are you awake? If you sleep just 6 hours, the other 18 hours of the day, you can have the Watch on.

Take it off at night, put it on in the morning. 18 hours is a very comfortable margin for regular use without having to ever worry about the battery.

I guess the use of this device for monitoring sleep is no longer possible.
Fail.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
What I don't get: The Watch always has to be paired to an iPhone, i.e. I always have an iPhone with me. So why would I use the Watch for music playback via Bluetooth, when I can do that from my iPhone for hours and hours?

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Seven hours with the heart rate sensor on? Nice, I thought it would be a battery hog. Can't wait to see the 3rd party running apps. (I noticed the Nike+ Running App on the Watch App Store during the keynote)

I have to run with my phone anyway because of Spotify so that's the GPS already sorted. The Apple Watch could replace a lot of people's Garmins + heart rate strap, depending on functionality in the apps.

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
This product is sure to drive reading lens sales for those over 40.

No, because people over 40 have enough maturity and common sense to know this watch is useless out of the box.
The specs cited are extremely unrealistic, as is the price.

Apple's slide to obscurity begins in 3...2.....1...

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
What I don't get: The Watch always has to be paired to an iPhone, i.e. I always have an iPhone with me. So why would I use the Watch for music playback via Bluetooth, when I can do that from my iPhone for hours and hours?

Running... working out... where manipulating the watch screen is much better than trying to do it with the phone.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
No, because people over 40 have enough maturity and common sense to know this watch is useless out of the box.
The specs cited are extremely unrealistic, as is the price.

Apple's slide to obscurity begins in 3...2.....1...

Your opinion.... Mine is I'm buying at least two, one for me and one for my wife. Next Christmas this will likely be my gift to each adult child... unless they buy one first.

iPod was a predicted fail
iPhone was a predicted fail
iPad was a predicted fail

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Still don't see the point of it.

I read the same thing when the iPhone and iPad were released, and in every thread where this was posted, I was stupid enough to write long posts about how I will greatly benefit from these devices. The people who posted the "Don't see the point" messages never read my replies and ended up posting it again and again.

Not falling for that this time around. Not going to explain stuff to people with limited imagination.

I see the point. Period.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Running... working out... where manipulating the watch screen is much better than trying to do it with the phone.

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. But why is the music then coming from the Watch and not from the phone? The Watch could serve simply as the control device while the music is streamed from the phone via Bluetooth. I REALLY hope that scenario will work, as that is one of my top 5 use cases for the Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.