Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
About 10 minutes after I started a run on treadmill, just after I passed 1 km. for a bit, I looked at the watch to check my heart rate and to my horror, I only saw the white Apple logo. The watch had crashed..

And you all know how long it took to boot. And all that time I just kept running. God knows why I was doing that but after a long time the watch's finally back on. And it's showing the workout out app just like before it crashed. From the data it's showing it's almost like it had never crashed so I just continued my run. After I finished I checked Activity app on iPhone and saw no sign of the crash. The length of the run looks right. The distance looks right. And as you can see from the screenshot, there were no hiccup in heart beats registered. :eek: What???

I thought I was gonna lose this run. This is the 1st time Apple native Workout app crashed on me. Just want to share this strange experience.

(Btw, good luck everyone who try to do a pre-order this Friday. You know who you are :p)

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpg
    IMG_5498.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,239

freeseframe

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Exact same thing happened to me on an outdoor run last weekend at the 4 mile mark. I only knew that it was happening as my music suddenly stopped. I had stopped until the watch rebooted and to my surprise the stopwatch was still running and showed my 4 mile mark and it allowed me to complete my run. Of course it screwed up my pace given the stopwatch was still running but I adjusted before moving the data to Garmin Connect. Hopefully 4.1 addresses the bug.

Reactions: matrix07

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Not the exact same issue, but since upgrading to 4.0, I’m getting crazy results on all of my runs. I blamed it on Nike Run Club originally, but I’ve had issues with the Nike Workout ap as well. I’m trying Stravinsky tomorrow to see if that works, but every run is coming out with odd results. My first two runs with NRC dind’t start properly (even though I saw them start on my watch and heard the ‘Beginning workout’ comment over my headphones), and I had to restart my runs after I didn’t get my mileage notification at 0.25 miles. My third run didn’t stop correctly and contineud to run in the car (even though it did pause and then I hit the stop button like every other run I’ve done over the last year) For some reason, it started up again while I was in the car. My next run timed correctly, but showed 0.00 miles over a 32 minute run (Series 2 with GPS). After that, I tried the Apple workout app and it worked fine, but the run, despite me stopping it & getting the after workout summary page, then hitting done at the bottom, never showed up in my activity app, and seems to have disappeared. I went for a run this morning using the NRC app agai, and it cut off the last 3.5 minutes of my run. I saw the end of the run, after I stopped it where it showed 30minutes 25 seconds, then when I looked into my NRC log, it shows a 27 minute run this morning. I’m with you guys, I hope 4.1 fixes this. It’s maddening.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I read the Thread Title and thought, "wow! the same thing (kinda) happened to me last night"

I run with my iPhone and AW using NRC+. Last night (treadmill), the NRC+ app crashed HARD and wouldn't reopen. The AW showed the data frozen at the 3:23 mark even though I was 20 minutes into the run.

Had to reboot the iPhone while I was on the treadmill. Via quick thinking, I opened the Cardiogram app on my AW to start the HR monitor to record continuously. After the run, I had to edit it in the Nike app. When it transferred over to the Health/Activity app, the HR readings transferred properly.

Luckily it was just a treadmill run. Had this happened on an outdoor run with a PR pace, I'd be kinda upset.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Not the exact same issue, but since upgrading to 4.0, I’m getting crazy results on all of my runs. I blamed it on Nike Run Club originally, but I’ve had issues with the Nike Workout ap as well. I’m trying Stravinsky tomorrow to see if that works, but every run is coming out with odd results. My first two runs with NRC dind’t start properly (even though I saw them start on my watch and heard the ‘Beginning workout’ comment over my headphones), and I had to restart my runs after I didn’t get my mileage notification at 0.25 miles. My third run didn’t stop correctly and contineud to run in the car (even though it did pause and then I hit the stop button like every other run I’ve done over the last year) For some reason, it started up again while I was in the car. My next run timed correctly, but showed 0.00 miles over a 32 minute run (Series 2 with GPS). After that, I tried the Apple workout app and it worked fine, but the run, despite me stopping it & getting the after workout summary page, then hitting done at the bottom, never showed up in my activity app, and seems to have disappeared. I went for a run this morning using the NRC app agai, and it cut off the last 3.5 minutes of my run. I saw the end of the run, after I stopped it where it showed 30minutes 25 seconds, then when I looked into my NRC log, it shows a 27 minute run this morning. I’m with you guys, I hope 4.1 fixes this. It’s maddening.

I read the Thread Title and thought, "wow! the same thing (kinda) happened to me last night"

I run with my iPhone and AW using NRC+. Last night (treadmill), the NRC+ app crashed HARD and wouldn't reopen. The AW showed the data frozen at the 3:23 mark even though I was 20 minutes into the run.

Had to reboot the iPhone while I was on the treadmill. Via quick thinking, I opened the Cardiogram app on my AW to start the HR monitor to record continuously. After the run, I had to edit it in the Nike app. When it transferred over to the Health/Activity app, the HR readings transferred properly.

Luckily it was just a treadmill run. Had this happened on an outdoor run with a PR pace, I'd be kinda upset.

Folks, NRC is still buggy with OS 4 (used to be very buggy with OS 3 but Nike fixed it after a month) so I'd recommend native Apple app, or just start NRC from the phone and you'll be fine.

Hasn’t happened to me yet but two of my friends have experienced crashing during their runs.

If it happens again I recommend continue running. Not sure about GPS data on outdoor run but indoor it's just fine. Couldn't believe the restarting didn't have any effect on the run data.

What pre order? I have no clue. :cool:

Heh.. heh.. just confess, will you? ;)

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Folks, NRC is still buggy with OS 4 (used to be very buggy with OS 3 but Nike fixed it after a month) so I'd recommend native Apple app, or just start NRC from the phone and you'll be fine.
That has not been my experience. I switched to the Apple workout app and also had issues with that not saving my workout. I’m going to give Strava a try next. Hopefully that will work. I regret upgrading to Watch os 4.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
That has not been my experience. I switched to the Apple workout app and also had issues with that not saving my workout. I’m going to give Strava a try next. Hopefully that will work. I regret upgrading to Watch os 4.

Yours sounds like a problem with iOS 11 than watchOS 4. Usually when you press done button your exercise data was already kept on the watch. It's never lost, at least on mine but many times Activities app on iPhone just very slow to show it.

After that, I tried the Apple workout app and it worked fine, but the run, despite me stopping it & getting the after workout summary page, then hitting done at the bottom, never showed up in my activity app, and seems to have disappeared.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Yours sounds like a problem with iOS 11 than watchOS 4. Usually when you press done button your exercise data was already kept on the watch. It's never lost, at least on mine but many times Activities app on iPhone just very slow to show it.
Yah, it could be iOS 11. Since I upgraded both watch and phone at the same time, I’m not sure which is responsible but either way, it’s maddening.

Reactions: matrix07

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
About 10 minutes after I started a run on treadmill, just after I passed 1 km. for a bit, I looked at the watch to check my heart rate and to my horror, I only saw the white Apple logo. The watch had crashed..

And you all know how long it took to boot. And all that time I just kept running. God knows why I was doing that but after a long time the watch's finally back on. And it's showing the workout out app just like before it crashed. From the data it's showing it's almost like it had never crashed so I just continued my run. After I finished I checked Activity app on iPhone and saw no sign of the crash. The length of the run looks right. The distance looks right. And as you can see from the screenshot, there were no hiccup in heart beats registered. :eek: What???

I thought I was gonna lose this run. This is the 1st time Apple native Workout app crashed on me. Just want to share this strange experience.

(Btw, good luck everyone who try to do a pre-order this Friday. You know who you are :p)

Sounds like a good reason to sue Apple!

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
Same thing happened to me tonight, I was running outside at about 3/4 of a mile and the logo appeared for about a minute or two and then went right back to the activity app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.