Apple Watch Display Gate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AdonisSMU, Nov 28, 2015.

1. AdonisSMU, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

image.jpeg image.jpg So I was working out at the gym doing leg exercises with a stainless steel link band and Apple Watch when out of nowhere the watch face comes off. Apple Store now has to send the first watch that I actually loved wearing off for repairs.

2. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Things break. It happens. Sorry dude. Congrats on doing legs though.

3. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

But it still works. Just whatever adhesive they were using doesnt work as well as they thought. Its only been 6months and I dont put my watch in water.

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

This is not a "gate". It's a defective watch, and a rare defect at that (based on seeing very few posts like this on the Internet).

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Don't you love how everyone seems to label every thing that is not perfect or has a flaw as a "gate"?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, forum members seem to have this silly notion that whatever random defects they get must be an indication that the said parts must not work as well as Apple thought.

7. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

clearly. However, If I didn't bring it up I would be called and "Appologist".

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nobody would label you an Apple apologist if you simply left the OP as is and said nothing further.

9. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

I got my AW on the first day they were available at like 9am on 4/25. It's taken this long for there to be any problems at all with it. So... I'm pretty sure Apple didn't plan on the AW lasting a measly 6 months before the display came off.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Meaningless as a defective adhesive can eventually fail after any period of time, be it 2 days, 6 months or 18 months.

11. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

It doesn't matter if the device is "defective" or not. My point still holds up regardless. Apple didn't plan on the display falling off.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You make it sound like it's a common, well-known problem worthy of a "gate". They don't plan on random manufacturing defects, although they expect them when they sell units in the millions.

13. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

AFAIK, the term "gate"'s origin is in the Watergate scandal? However, you are comparing a loose Apple Watch display to a groundbreaking political scandal with far-reaching consequences?

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Damn. Lifting so hard you pop your watch face off.

Now you can ask other guys at the gym "Do you even pop watch faces off, bro?"

15. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Of course they didn't... you are aware that every product made by every company eventually has some of them fail? Using the term "gate" is just ridiculously silly. The notion of "gate" is that there is some big cover up effecting millions of people. Example... VW emissions scandal. Otherwise "gate" just click bait and lowers your credibility.

Bottom line... you've had your watch for a long time... you've used it a lot... it failed.... Apple is taking care of it. Thats the whole story.

16. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

You have a SS AW and was wondering if it was caused by "over polishing" by something like Cape Cod Metal Polishing or some other similar product. I use this product and am worried that the polish may do damage to the seal for the AW display.

17. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

I polish all of my watches until the face falls off. Pretty common occurrence on all watches. The dreaded over polished falling off face.

18. nicho macrumors 68000

not sure if that's sarcasm, or this is what the other person meant but - could polishing the watch not force polish between the case and the display and weaken the adhesive between the two?

19. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

A thousand dollar watch should last more than 7 months. I rarely polish my watch at all. I'm kind of angry because Apple is trying to charge me $79 bucks on Apple Care to fix it...when the product is just defective.

20. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Isn't it still under warranty? Are they trying to say that you damaged it? If so, what is their basis for that position?

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That makes no sense. A manufacturing defect such as this one should be covered under the standard warranty and you shouldn't have to pay any deductible under AC+.

22. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Won't be buying Jewelery from a computer company again. Nope. They didn't have a basis. Everything worked except for the display coming out of its socket. No screen damage.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Come on, where's the rest of the story? This isn't Apple that we've come to know and love.

24. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

My wrist must be wearing it wrong....

25. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Does it make any difference if I point out that the Watergate scandal had nothing to do with water? So that leaves us...where?