Apple Watch - Do you ever power it down?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Hooterville, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Hooterville macrumors 65816

Hooterville

Do you ever power down your Apple watch or just leave it run 24/7 ?

2. kissfan macrumors regular

kissfan

3. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I don’t but I don’t power anything down on a regular basis - iMac, MBP, iPad, iPhone, and ofcourse the watch.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Yes, but I'm an outlier -- sometimes I have to leave it at home, so I turn it off then.

I could instead switch it to Airplane Mode to keep battery drain to an absolute minimum.

5. zone23 macrumors 68000

Mine doesn't work when I power it down took it to the Apple store and they where like yeah it only works when powered on.

6. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I have to reboot my S2 every couple weeks when it gets too slow. Other than that it’s always on.

7. RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

Except when necessary to update or restart, I haven't turned off an iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch in years.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My career doesn't prohibits me from Wearing my Apple Watch to work, so when I'm not using it, I do power it down. But I also switch between other Apple Watches that I use as well.

9. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I wear mine 47 out of 48 hours then give it a quick charge and put it back on. Cant remember turning it off since I got it.

10. Mel8899 macrumors regular

Mel8899

I don’t wear mine to bed so I power down over night.

11. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

I've been able to push it to 4wks.

I'm curious how the battery may last (due to the end of 2017 fiasco of throttling with depleting batteries on iPhone). This is a legit concern as watches that use batteries eventually need a replacement sometime.

I call BS on that statement:
    OS X/macOS updates, iOS updates, and WatchOS updates many of which, if not the majority, force reboots or what you call a 'restart'. So I'm sure all your devices don't have the same OS that shipped with it since day one without any updates. If so good on you, but protect your security.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I do not wear mine to bed, so I also power off at night.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I do sometimes. I have three LTE watches that I cycle through each week but sometimes I like wearing my SS and Nike+ more then the silver aluminum so I might turn off the silver watch so the battery keeps it's charge till I want to wear it again.

14. TheAustrianGuy macrumors regular

I always unpair and re-pair the watch on every 1st (or 2nd, if I forget to) of the month.
    That way, I always have a pretty new backup (synced to iCloud!).
    Every now and then, I set it up as new.

Apart from that, I power-cycle it every 2 weeks (in the middle of the re-pair-cycle).

15. CreamEggBear macrumors member

CreamEggBear

Switch off every night and place on my stand.

16. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

On one or two occasions that I have seen battery life draining rapidly and suspected a rogue app (crash) - then I might be inclined to restart.
    Sometimes on long haul flights.

17. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I think it powers back on when you start to charge. At least this is the way the iPhone/iPad function.

PC (since MS-DOS) NO
    iPhones (since original) NO
    iPads (since original) NO
    :apple:Watch since original NO

We as people are hard wired to see things as black and white. So we see only Power On as full operation and Power Off as completely removed from power and no wear and tear. Cutting on and off will probably induce more ware and tear than just leaving on. The device being powered off is really an illusion and even off an iPhone, :apple:Watch and almost every battery powered smart device will continue to execute functions in the 'off' state. So there is really NO WAY to power off the :apple:Watch and Powering off is just the most extreme way of saving battery life by reducing to a minimum what the device is doing (but it is is still doing;)).

18. RichardMZhlubb macrumors regular

RichardMZhlubb

Huh? The language from my original comment that you quoted specifically says “except when necessary to update.” I update with every new OS and point release, but otherwise never turn any of these devices off.

19. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Usually I don’t. But if something is going wrong, I will restart. It’s a smart watch after all.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I reboot all my devices (Macs, iPhone, iPad and Watch) weekly. Anecdotal obviously, but I feel it keeps them running better.

21. Pseudo-Fed macrumors regular

I have two, so when done with one I airplane mode it, charge it up, and turn it off. Put other one on for couple days. Rinse, repeat.

22. JPack macrumors 68000

JPack

Power off at night.

Why waste battery life when I don’t use it? Batteries have limited cycles.

Unlike my phone, I don’t need it on hot standby. By the time I’m out the door in the morning, the Watch is booted up.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I power mine off when I switch to another watch.

24. Orlaam macrumors member

This. It's not on my arm, why do I need it running?

25. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

The original data I quoted didn’t have that. I quoted and sheiks travelling on mobile was out of coverage and I waited a few short hours to post. Not seeing the original post or I quoted the wrong post maybe a follow up to an earlier one you may have made?