Apple Watch Doesn't Power on!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Air-e, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Air-e macrumors newbie

This is a ********** joke. I got my watch and made the assumption it was charged at least 50%, so I try to power it on and nothing happens. SO I plug it on and see the apple logo fade in and out, left it for around 20 minutes and afterwards still the same. So I went to support chat and they gave me a list of things to try and nothing. So now they tell me I have a faulty battery and I have to take it in for repair. This is just incredible, don't these things go through testing? Now I have to take it in for repair on the first ********** day of release.

2. JoJack82 macrumors regular

This will happen with any product especially when there is millions of them. Take it in to Apple and they will likely have replacement units on site already.

3. Air-e thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I understand that aspect but shouldn't these things be tested before to make they do stuff like power on?

4. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure they had you try to open the watch app on your iPhone right?

5. Air-e thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I tried that and nothing happens.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its not a car. Its a piece of tech. Things happen. They will replace. Chill :cool:

7. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

The activity monitor on mine has data from a few weeks ago so it was powered on and tested.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Is the a KB article on how to force power-cycle the unit or something?

9. leenak macrumors 68020

I know it doesn't make you feel better but the same thing happened with my iPhone 6.

10. Bdoskail macrumors member

11. Air-e thread starter macrumors newbie

The chat support person told me to take it in because its the battery.

----------

Yeah I feel like that right now.:mad:

12. Dwalls90, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Dude, you have a watch on launch day. Just make a GB appointment they'll replace it.

I would assume that's actually hooked in from the activity/health information on your phone.

13. Air-e thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have a watch on launch but its just frustrating that it doesn't work for anything. I got an appointment but Im going in as soon as they open to see if they can replace it.

14. noobinator macrumors 601

You are one of the unfortunate small % of devices that won't function out of the box. Any product in the world will have a % of defective devices / lemons.

15. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Apple Genius Bars should have stock on hand, ideally of all models... they need it for EFFA (Early Field Failure Analysis).

16. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I do hope abbreviating "Genius Bar" with a "J" was meant to be iRonic... :cool:

17. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Hmmmm, that's a real shame.

18. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Retail stores don't have service or replacement stock yet, sorry to say.

Did you try preforming a hard reset on the watch?

If that doesn't work, maybe try this:

1. Hold the side button for 3 seconds.
    2. Begin holding the digital crown without releasing the side button for 10 seconds.
    3. Release the side button and continue holding the digital crown for up to 30 seconds until the watch reawakens.

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

... not enough coffee :D

And was thinking about the 8.3 JB (jailbreak)

20. BellaMaggs, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

BellaMaggs macrumors newbie

BellaMaggs

Mine did the same thing, and no combination of button pushing helped anything, but once I plugged it into my computer to charge it came on and I was able to pair it. It had like 80+ percent battery, so not sure why it wouldn't come on until plugged in. It took no time at all to get to 100% just having it plugged into my computer while I paired it and looked at a few instructional videos.

21. BITEMEAPPLESIGN macrumors member

BITEMEAPPLESIGN

No in store replacements. ​

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

They don't individually test every single unit that goes out. They test batches for quality control. There is a rate of failure for every single product that's ever been made. The world is an imperfect place. Apple didn't do this just to specifically piss you off on launch day.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's not how manufacturing works. When you're pumping out hundreds an hour on the assembly line, a few are taken out of each batch to make sure they meet specifications.

24. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Not sure where you're basing your information. Apple always has replacement units on hand for defective units, even when sold out. Now this is true for iPhones, but I find it VERY hard to believe that they wouldn't have any watches on hand. That would be very un-Apple.

25. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Wow… That sucks. That's even worse than not getting it today... Hope they can sort you out in short order.