Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After installing iOS 12.2, some Apple Watch Series 4 owners in the UK are seeing new ECG screens that suggest ECG functionality will expand to the Apple Watch in the country when watchOS 5.2 is released.

MacRumors readers Sam and Chris have seen ECG setup screens in the Apple Watch and Health apps on the iPhone after installing iOS 12.2. The app is not, however, available on the Apple Watch in the UK right now because Apple hasn't yet released watchOS 5.2, which is likely required for the feature to work.

ios122ecg-800x572.jpg

There's new documentation in the Health app in iOS 12.2 under ECG's "Instructions for Use" that also hints at upcoming support for the UK and other European countries:

[*]For US Regions: The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.1.2 or later, paired with iPhone 5s or later or iOS 12.1.1 or later.
[*]For non-US regions: The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.2 paired with iPhone 5s or iOS 12.2 or later.

There's also a new CE mark for the ECG feature in iOS 12.2 in the same document, which, as 9to5Mac points out, indicates that Apple may be planning to expand ECG functionality to all European Economic Area countries that use the CE certification mark.

appleecgregulatoryeu-800x316.jpg

cemarkregulatory-800x397.jpg

It's not yet clear when Apple will launch watchOS 5.2, but with iOS 12.2 already available, it could be coming in the near future. Apple has not updated the list of countries where ECG features are available, but it could be changed once watchOS 5.2 sees a release.

Article Link: iOS 12.2 Suggests ECG App May Be Coming to UK and Other European Countries With watchOS 5.2

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It’ll better come to Europe soon.. it was such a big part of the marketing for the new watch, I’ve had it for half a year now and couldn’t use this feature because of European health regulations..

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I'm in the US and already have the ECG capability (wonderful feature) , but would like to see 5.2 to fix sync issues where messages don't sync up with my phone & I have to delete everything on BOTH devices.

Reactions: centauratlas

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
It’ll better come to Europe soon.. it was such a big part of the marketing for the new watch, I’ve had it for half a year now and couldn’t use this feature because of European health regulations..
Some say that Apple probably commissioned British agencies that could no longer create a legislative link to Europe because of the threat of Brexit. The Brexit will make UK completely uninteresting as an interface to Europe in this aspect.
In addition, the European structure in this segment currently is in upheaval, and Apple seems to have even less experience than with the FDA.

Last edited:
Reactions: prasand

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Good to see that Apple is going to be checking hearts in the UK and European countries as well.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
I will bet my sweet ass that it wont come to germany for at least a few years, just like apple pay.... yay.

Reactions: LiveM

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I will bet my sweet ass that it wont come to germany for at least a few years, just like apple pay.... yay.

You have been able to shop with Boon via ApplePay in most shops in Europe for many years.

He who whines, nothing good comes to him.

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
You beat me to it. I like the feature, but will be more than happy when the feature will be available outside the US so that there is (less) complaining. Of course, everyone did know before buying where the feature was available, which was the US.
Which makes sense, since it was released by a US-based company.

legatoboy

macrumors member
May 12, 2007

After installing iOS 12.2, some Apple Watch Series 4 owners in the UK are seeing new ECG screens that suggest ECG functionality will expand to the Apple Watch in the country when watchOS 5.2 is released.

MacRumors readers Sam and Chris have seen ECG setup screens in the Apple Watch and Health apps on the iPhone after installing iOS 12.2. The app is not, however, available on the Apple Watch in the UK right now because Apple hasn't yet released watchOS 5.2, which is likely required for the feature to work.

ios122ecg-800x572.jpg

There's new documentation in the Health app in iOS 12.2 under ECG's "Instructions for Use" that also hints at upcoming support for the UK and other European countries:

[*]For US Regions: The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.1.2 or later, paired with iPhone 5s or later or iOS 12.1.1 or later.
[*]For non-US regions: The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.2 paired with iPhone 5s or iOS 12.2 or later.

There's also a new CE mark for the ECG feature in iOS 12.2 in the same document, which, as 9to5Mac points out, indicates that Apple may be planning to expand ECG functionality to all European Economic Area countries that use the CE certification mark.

appleecgregulatoryeu-800x316.jpg

cemarkregulatory-800x397.jpg

It's not yet clear when Apple will launch watchOS 5.2, but with iOS 12.2 already available, it could be coming in the near future. Apple has not updated the list of countries where ECG features are available, but it could be changed once watchOS 5.2 sees a release.

Article Link: iOS 12.2 Suggests ECG App May Be Coming to UK and Other European Countries With watchOS 5.2
[doublepost=1553567660][/doublepost]How about plans on enabling ECG capabilities in Asian countries such as Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, China ... I am still waiting this feature before I get my first Apple Watch.

ECG Hong Kong

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
By the time it's available in Hong Kong I think we will have Apple Watch Series 99

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I sold my Canadian stainless steel Apple Watch four, And purchased an aluminum Apple Watch 4 in the USA.

I did this just so I could have the ECG function

But what are the things I learned was that the aluminum AW4 is not as durable as the stainless steel models I put a little scratch in the bezel of my aluminum watch and I’m sure that wouldn’t of happened with stainless steel. No big deal but that’s what I learned

Hope Canada gets ECG soon too.

Reactions: bchery21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.