iOS 12.2 Suggests ECG App May Be Coming to UK and Other European Countries With watchOS 5.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After installing iOS 12.2, some Apple Watch Series 4 owners in the UK are seeing new ECG screens that suggest ECG functionality will expand to the Apple Watch in the country when watchOS 5.2 is released.

MacRumors readers Sam and Chris have seen ECG setup screens in the Apple Watch and Health apps on the iPhone after installing iOS 12.2. The app is not, however, available on the Apple Watch in the UK right now because Apple hasn't yet released watchOS 5.2, which is likely required for the feature to work.

[​IMG]

There's new documentation in the Health app in iOS 12.2 under ECG's "Instructions for Use" that also hints at upcoming support for the UK and other European countries:

[*]For US Regions: The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.1.2 or later, paired with iPhone 5s or later or iOS 12.1.1 or later.
    [*]For non-US regions: The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.2 paired with iPhone 5s or iOS 12.2 or later.

There's also a new CE mark for the ECG feature in iOS 12.2 in the same document, which, as 9to5Mac points out, indicates that Apple may be planning to expand ECG functionality to all European Economic Area countries that use the CE certification mark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not yet clear when Apple will launch watchOS 5.2, but with iOS 12.2 already available, it could be coming in the near future. Apple has not updated the list of countries where ECG features are available, but it could be changed once watchOS 5.2 sees a release.

Article Link: iOS 12.2 Suggests ECG App May Be Coming to UK and Other European Countries With watchOS 5.2

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Probably explains why there was no update for Apple Watch today. Apple may be finalising the release of ECG and then 5.2 will be released

3. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

It’ll better come to Europe soon.. it was such a big part of the marketing for the new watch, I’ve had it for half a year now and couldn’t use this feature because of European health regulations..

4. Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

5. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

I was waiting for this feature to get one, but after many months, I'll skip this one.

6. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

I'm in the US and already have the ECG capability (wonderful feature) , but would like to see 5.2 to fix sync issues where messages don't sync up with my phone & I have to delete everything on BOTH devices.

7. JTBing macrumors regular

Good, now all the complaining about US-only release can stop. Wonderful.

8. Morgenland, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

Some say that Apple probably commissioned British agencies that could no longer create a legislative link to Europe because of the threat of Brexit. The Brexit will make UK completely uninteresting as an interface to Europe in this aspect.
    In addition, the European structure in this segment currently is in upheaval, and Apple seems to have even less experience than with the FDA.

9. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Where is wOS 5.2? I though it would launch today?

10. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

Good to see that Apple is going to be checking hearts in the UK and European countries as well.

11. Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

The moaning was justified and I also hope it will be over soon.

12. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

OK, if true (about entire European Economic Area), then this is great! Love my Series 4 watch and it would be great to have that ECG functionality.

13. J___o___h___n macrumors newbie

14. Motawa macrumors 6502

I will bet my sweet ass that it wont come to germany for at least a few years, just like apple pay.... yay.

15. Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

You have been able to shop with Boon via ApplePay in most shops in Europe for many years.

He who whines, nothing good comes to him.

16. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Irony?

17. Babygotfont macrumors member

Babygotfont

There is no collusion
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    It didn’t make the cut

18. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Hoping to see Canada included as well... The sensor has been useless on my wrist....

19. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

You are too optimistic... there are already at least one noter saying it comes too late. Don’t you know some just like to complain?

20. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

You beat me to it. I like the feature, but will be more than happy when the feature will be available outside the US so that there is (less) complaining. Of course, everyone did know before buying where the feature was available, which was the US.

21. JTBing macrumors regular

Which makes sense, since it was released by a US-based company.

22. legatoboy macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    How about plans on enabling ECG capabilities in Asian countries such as Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, China ... I am still waiting this feature before I get my first Apple Watch.

ECG Hong Kong

23. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

By the time it's available in Hong Kong I think we will have Apple Watch Series 99

24. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

I sold my Canadian stainless steel Apple Watch four, And purchased an aluminum Apple Watch 4 in the USA.

I did this just so I could have the ECG function

But what are the things I learned was that the aluminum AW4 is not as durable as the stainless steel models I put a little scratch in the bezel of my aluminum watch and I’m sure that wouldn’t of happened with stainless steel. No big deal but that’s what I learned

Hope Canada gets ECG soon too.

25. Pragati55 macrumors newbie

Pragati55