Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
If Apple wanted to be environmentally sensitive they should design body and innards as separate modules to allow a reasonable upgrade path. Or at least make the battery replaceable (like millions of watches before them.)

I’ve owned exactly one Apple watch and enjoyed it up until it stopped working (1 month past the warranty). At that point I realized I owned a $500 piece of trash and decided I will never buy another one.

So if you can't personally do something than it's not an option? It's a $15 battery. Even if you pay double that for labor than it is still under $50 to fix it. That's cheaper than the watch bands.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Rather remarkable that Apple still hasn't managed to make this any thinner, given their obsession with all things slender. The Apple Watch is a chubby, chubby thing, and sits so high on the wrist. It's a remarkably unattractive and clunky looking device.

For me, the Apple Watch is too "same-y." Watches are all about personality; Apple should come out with multiple designs. At the very least, there needs to be a round version. And thinner would help too.

• Haha
Reactions: subi257

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Still a disposable watch as no way to replace battery.
Some years of use and it becomes a piece of trash.

Wrong. Apple has an Apple Watch battery replacement service. It costs $79 for Apple to replace the battery if it's out of warranty and $0 if it's within the AppleCare or AppleCare+ warranty periods.

Reactions: subi257 and jdb8167

BrianM_CAN

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Just looked back - it took 4 years for the iPhone to reach 100 million. So really 5 years for the watch to hit 100 million isn't bad for a device that for the first 3 years or so required the phone to do much of anything.

I'm still using my Series 1 (with one AppleCare+ replacement after about a year when I managed to crack the glass, and water got in), looking forward to upgrade to a Series 5 or newer eventually :)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
For me, the Apple Watch is too "same-y." Watches are all about personality; Apple should come out with multiple designs. At the very least, there needs to be a round version. And thinner would help too.

As android watches have shown, round is not a good shape for much of anything beyond showing analog time - most every other presentation of information suffers on a round display.

That said, if Apple could figure out a way to make it work, would be nice.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
If I can't replace the battery by myself I consider it disposable.
And as seen in this tutorial, no way most of Apple Watch owner will follow these dangerous and difficult steps: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Watch+Battery+Replacement/41080
I assume you don't have a Mac laptop either. iFixit's instructions on replacing the battery on a 2015 MBP is 5+ hour job - with lots to potentially go wrong. (I replaced mine an alternate way, but the computer was given to me, so I took the risk).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I assume you don't have a Mac laptop either. iFixit's instructions on replacing the battery on a 2015 MBP is 5+ hour job - with lots to potentially go wrong. (I replaced mine an alternate way, but the computer was given to me, so I took the risk).
Or a Tesla. Good luck trying to replace the battery in your tesla yourself. Teslas must be disposable cars.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
As android watches have shown, round is not a good shape for much of anything beyond showing analog time - most every other presentation of information suffers on a round display.

I agree; if there's anyone that could figure out a good 'round' implementation, it would be Apple. It's kind of like they left the door part way open for that, since WatchOS uses a rounded UI design (and round icons), which I've always found curious.

glowplug

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2017
So if you can't personally do something than it's not an option? It's a $15 battery. Even if you pay double that for labor than it is still under $50 to fix it. That's cheaper than the watch bands.

In my case it wasn’t just the battery, the whole thing died. At 13 months.

Yes, it’s a $500 disposable watch.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Apple definitely did a great job with the Apple Watch! It’s definitely the best smart watch out there and as far as fitness goes, it’s definitely the best for keeping people healthy!

I have the fifth generation Apple Watch and it works great! I use it every day when I go for walks around my neighborhood with my dog
Why do you think that Apple Watch is the best? For example, Samsung phones have all the same features as AW and then some. They also have much better battery life. AW seems to be more popular but it does not necessarily means it is better. Personally, i am still skeptical about the usefulness of all smart watches. The only unquestionably useful functionality in them is the fitness part but then dedicated fitness watches might be better for that. I see quite a few people now wearing smart watches (AWs in particular). I have yet to see anyone actually using them in a meaningful way.
[automerge]1592414060[/automerge]

Smart watches general regardless of the shape are very bad devices for presenting information. Smart phones are way better for that and in most cases (fitness exercises might be the only notable exception) people have the phones with them. When having both devices, preferring to use a smart watch over a smartphone seems like an exercise in masochism to me.

Last edited:

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Is the featured watch face only available on newer models? Doesn't look like I can access that one (series 2, I think).

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Love my AW. I use it everyday, for a variety of things. Planning on getting a new one soon so I can give this one to my girlfriend for her first one.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Still a disposable watch as no way to replace battery.
Some years of use and it becomes a piece of trash.
I agree that it is somewhat disposable. That said, if my watch lasts 4-5 years (my Series 1 is already 3 years old), then it is coming to EOL just because of it being so old it is no longer OS upgradable. Thus if I get a new cell, it may no longer even be compatible with it.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Yep, another Apple failure, totally doomed, nobody will buy it.
I know you're being sarcastic, but honestly- who are you talking to? I know next to nobody who thinks the Apple watch is a failure by any metric, but I see quite a few people attempting to put down non-existent naysayers. :rolleyes:
[automerge]1592415815[/automerge]
Apple and various repair shops can replace the battery.
This is great, to be sure, but for how long? My bet is that by the time the battery needs servicing, the watch may be on Apple's vintage or obsolete list, nixing any hardware service. I would hope this isn't the case, but we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: 57004

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I know you're being sarcastic, but honestly- who are you talking to? I know next to nobody who thinks the Apple watch is a failure by any metric, but I see quite a few people attempting to put down non-existent naysayers. :rolleyes:
Yeah but we had to listen to lots if people say it will be/is a failure early on. For months.

I want my 3 year old Series 1 to fail so that I can upgrade. But nooooo, it keeps on going. :/

Reactions: CarlJ

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So you are saying its disposable without being able to replace the battery yourself, and then post a guide to replacing the battery yourself?

Negative thinkers are never rational. If they have to invent a reason to be negative they do it with gusto. Fact sand logic have nothing to do with it.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Love my AW. I use it everyday, for a variety of things. Planning on getting a new one soon so I can give this one to my girlfriend for her first one.
If you are serious with this girlfriend, you may want to step up your game a bit. You recently bought a new iPhone for yourself and will soon be buying yourself a new watch and then you will give her a three year old, two editions old watch.
;):(

• Haha
Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.