Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the Apple Watch launch approaches, details have been leaking out about how Apple will be handling sales of their new device. According to leaked Apple documentation, the company will not be selling the Apple Watch to walk-in customers at launch.

Apple-Watch-Case-800x532.png
Apple will begin offering online pre-sales of the Apple Watch starting on April 10th, with the first deliveries occurring on April 24th, the official Apple Watch launch date. During those two weeks, customers will be able to have hands-on "try-on" appointments at Apple retail stores in order to help make up their mind.

However, according to training documents that MacRumors has received, Apple is not allowing any walk-in retail purchases for the Apple Watch at launch. Instead customers must make an online "Product Reservation" to hold a specific Apple Watch model at a retail store. This new "Product Reservation" system is used instead of Apple's "Personal Pickup" system for Apple Watches. Apple's retail training documents indicate that "If a customer walks in and wants to purchase a watch, offer the option to try on a watch. Then help them place an order online or through the Apple Store app."

Apple seems to expect low inventory for the Apple Watches, and notes that "try-on" appointments also do not reserve a specific Apple Watch for purchase. Apple expects to eventually allow walk-in purchases, but not until the initial wave of demand has passed.

Article Link: Apple Watch for Sale in Retail Stores by Reservation Only, No Walk-In Sales

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I hope they do this for every product launch. Would help curb all the scalpers.

Comment

xARx2

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
So are there preorders or not? And if so, will the demand exceed that of iphone?

Comment

Shayanftw

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Germany
Questionable decision. If true. People, mostly tourists, go in to stores and spontaneously buy stuff.

Nevermind if it's only for the first week.

Comment

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
I am just gonna pre order mine...I have no patience to go try it on and then wait for another two weeks to just go pick it up.

Comment

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Good move by Apple. They need to be thoroughly brainwashed into not returning it after a week.

Comment

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
apple watch is like the ipod hi fi of dumb, useless, completely unnecessary apple products. making it harder to purchase is just the cherry topping

Comment

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
There is nothing worse than going in store and being told you then have to go online to arrange to come back in store - really getting fed up of the Apple Store experience, which I used to rate so highly.

Comment

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Questionable decision. If true. People, mostly tourists, go in to stores and spontaneously buy stuff.

Mostly tourists? What are you getting at there? Anyone who is outside of their home town is a tourist and I'm sure the majority aren't out there making spontaneous technology purchases, especially in other countries that sell different power adapters and have different voltage requirements.

This is obviously just for the initial launch, there are so many different purchasing options that Apple is trying to prevent a lot of returned merchandise.

Comment

BradWI

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Good opportunity for the workers to upsell you on a higher-end model. Smart.

Comment

Alex Moran

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
Because I don't care for people calling people like me "stupid" or "beta testers" for buying one

And no I don't believe in it the same way I believe in God #

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Comment

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
apple watch is like the ipod hi fi of dumb, useless, completely unnecessary apple products. making it harder to purchase is just the cherry topping

After using a Microsoft band for the past six months, I can honestly say that receiving notifications on my wrist is far better than on a phone in my pocket.

Comment

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
This is just simply not the way I buy things. i dont want to be bothered by salesmen. when I want to buy something I would like to at least test it without making a reservation.

Comment

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
There is nothing worse than going in store and being told you then have to go online to arrange to come back in store - really getting fed up of the Apple Store experience, which I used to rate so highly.

My guess is this is to get people to pre-order it, when they try it out before April 24th. Apple probably going off past experience with iPhone. Trust me if no one is buying it and they have a ton in store. You'll be able to buy walking in. Apple also want to give that personal experience.

Comment

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia

Great product. Very useful.
Plays my 2 iPod Classics and can work Bluetooth via iMac or a vinyl player. Great sounding hifi product. Plus it looks amazing.

Comment

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
I still don't understand how it's going to work. What if we just pre-order on the 10th for home delivery on the 24th (like with phones)? I just want to be able to see one in person between the 10th-24th to make sure I made the correct choice. And I may pre-order two, and decide after I see them in store, before it ships.

Are we not charged until it ships? Or do they process payment when we place pre-order.

Comment

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
I still don't understand how it's going to work. What if we just pre-order on the 10th for home delivery on the 24th (like with phones)? I just want to be able to see one in person between the 10th-24th to make sure I made the correct choice. And I may pre-order two, and decide after I see them in store, before it ships.

Are we not charged until it ships? Or do they process payment when we place pre-order.

How is this confusing? You pre-order online to get it shipped directly to your house on the 24th. If you want to buy it in a store on the 24th, you need to make a reservation online.

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
However, according to training documents that MacRumors has received, Apple is not allowing any walk-in retail purchases for the Apple Watch at launch.

Apple Press Release from March 9th

Pricing & Availability
Beginning April 10 in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK and the US, Apple Watch will be available for preview, try-on by appointment at Apple’s retail stores, and available for pre-order through the Apple Online Store (http://www.apple.com). On April 24, Apple Watch will be available online or by reservation in Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers in China and Japan. Customers who purchase online or in-store from Apple will be offered Personal Setup to customize and pair Apple Watch with their iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/03/09Apple-Watch-Available-in-Nine-Countries-on-April-24.html

Now the other question, if I pre-order on April 10 can I pick up the watch in store on April 24? I don't want to take the day off to wait for the mailman, it seems like a waste of a day off and I'd like to be able to go to the Apple store after work and pick up my watch.

Comment

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I like these rumors of low inventory, I wonder how many I can pre-order on the 10th? I'd like to get at least 2, hopefully resale one for enough to cover the cost of both, then never open the second one. Wait 10 years and find someone with more money than brains to pay $25k for it.

Comment

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.