Apple Watch for Sale in Retail Stores by Reservation Only, No Walk-In Sales

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As the Apple Watch launch approaches, details have been leaking out about how Apple will be handling sales of their new device. According to leaked Apple documentation, the company will not be selling the Apple Watch to walk-in customers at launch.

[​IMG]
    Apple will begin offering online pre-sales of the Apple Watch starting on April 10th, with the first deliveries occurring on April 24th, the official Apple Watch launch date. During those two weeks, customers will be able to have hands-on "try-on" appointments at Apple retail stores in order to help make up their mind.

However, according to training documents that MacRumors has received, Apple is not allowing any walk-in retail purchases for the Apple Watch at launch. Instead customers must make an online "Product Reservation" to hold a specific Apple Watch model at a retail store. This new "Product Reservation" system is used instead of Apple's "Personal Pickup" system for Apple Watches. Apple's retail training documents indicate that "If a customer walks in and wants to purchase a watch, offer the option to try on a watch. Then help them place an order online or through the Apple Store app."

Apple seems to expect low inventory for the Apple Watches, and notes that "try-on" appointments also do not reserve a specific Apple Watch for purchase. Apple expects to eventually allow walk-in purchases, but not until the initial wave of demand has passed.

Article Link: Apple Watch for Sale in Retail Stores by Reservation Only, No Walk-In Sales

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I laughed...then I felt sad for the people that do buy one.

3. Tzuten macrumors 6502

I hope they do this for every product launch. Would help curb all the scalpers.

4. xARx2 macrumors member

xARx2

So are there preorders or not? And if so, will the demand exceed that of iphone?

5. Shayanftw macrumors member

Questionable decision. If true. People, mostly tourists, go in to stores and spontaneously buy stuff.

Nevermind if it's only for the first week.

6. sampaul macrumors member

sampaul

I am just gonna pre order mine...I have no patience to go try it on and then wait for another two weeks to just go pick it up.

7. tdream macrumors 65816

Good move by Apple. They need to be thoroughly brainwashed into not returning it after a week.

8. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Not sure why you did either of those things, this sounds like the ideal way to prevent a ton of returns for other sizes and bands.

9. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

apple watch is like the ipod hi fi of dumb, useless, completely unnecessary apple products. making it harder to purchase is just the cherry topping

10. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

There is nothing worse than going in store and being told you then have to go online to arrange to come back in store - really getting fed up of the Apple Store experience, which I used to rate so highly.

11. Jetfire macrumors 6502

I wonder if they are going to have pre-reservation for the April 10 try-on. Or are we going to have lines just to try-on the watch to pre-order the watch.

12. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Mostly tourists? What are you getting at there? Anyone who is outside of their home town is a tourist and I'm sure the majority aren't out there making spontaneous technology purchases, especially in other countries that sell different power adapters and have different voltage requirements.

This is obviously just for the initial launch, there are so many different purchasing options that Apple is trying to prevent a lot of returned merchandise.

13. BradWI macrumors member

Good opportunity for the workers to upsell you on a higher-end model. Smart.

14. Alex Moran, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

Alex Moran macrumors member

Because I don't care for people calling people like me "stupid" or "beta testers" for buying one

And no I don't believe in it the same way I believe in God #

Attached Files:

15. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

After using a Microsoft band for the past six months, I can honestly say that receiving notifications on my wrist is far better than on a phone in my pocket.

16. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

This is just simply not the way I buy things. i dont want to be bothered by salesmen. when I want to buy something I would like to at least test it without making a reservation.

17. Jetfire macrumors 6502

My guess is this is to get people to pre-order it, when they try it out before April 24th. Apple probably going off past experience with iPhone. Trust me if no one is buying it and they have a ton in store. You'll be able to buy walking in. Apple also want to give that personal experience.

18. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

19. Yumbo macrumors 6502

Will it be sold without an iPhone being owned?
    How would that impact returns?

20. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Great product. Very useful.
    Plays my 2 iPod Classics and can work Bluetooth via iMac or a vinyl player. Great sounding hifi product. Plus it looks amazing.

21. Chaka Jon macrumors regular

Chaka Jon

I still don't understand how it's going to work. What if we just pre-order on the 10th for home delivery on the 24th (like with phones)? I just want to be able to see one in person between the 10th-24th to make sure I made the correct choice. And I may pre-order two, and decide after I see them in store, before it ships.

Are we not charged until it ships? Or do they process payment when we place pre-order.

22. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

How is this confusing? You pre-order online to get it shipped directly to your house on the 24th. If you want to buy it in a store on the 24th, you need to make a reservation online.

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple Press Release from March 9th

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/03/09Apple-Watch-Available-in-Nine-Countries-on-April-24.html

Now the other question, if I pre-order on April 10 can I pick up the watch in store on April 24? I don't want to take the day off to wait for the mailman, it seems like a waste of a day off and I'd like to be able to go to the Apple store after work and pick up my watch.

24. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

I like these rumors of low inventory, I wonder how many I can pre-order on the 10th? I'd like to get at least 2, hopefully resale one for enough to cover the cost of both, then never open the second one. Wait 10 years and find someone with more money than brains to pay $25k for it.

25. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502a

Totalkharnage