Apple Watch Gen 2 Buy Back?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PowermacG5, Aug 13, 2015.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Does anyone believe Apple will come out with some sort of Apple Watch buyback to entice users to upgrade?

[​IMG]

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I sincerely doubt it. They may have a trade in program, but they will offer so little you won't want to use it.

3. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Gen 2 will have to be something really special. I have more than a grand into my black stainless Apple watch. I know I'm insane for spending so much, but hey I live and breath everything Apple. Also needed a watch that would look good while wearing a suit.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Is there any kind of precedent in which Apple has ever done a buyback before?

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

There already is a buy back program in existence ----- it is called Ebay. :rolleyes:

6. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

You can trade in your iPhone at the Apple store to go toward new phone

7. Creek0512, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

Creek0512 macrumors 6502

If I upgrade I would rather just give my Gen 1 Watch to a family member so I finally have someone to try the Digital Touch communication with.

I'll add they I have an Apple Watch Sport, so I didn't spend $1k though.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe apple will offer any sort of trade in/buy back for current watch owners. If you want a gen 2 model, sell the current one and buy the new one - when ever apple releases it. Since they've not fully rolled this out to the world yet, I'm not so sure we'll be seeing a newer model quite yet.

No, I believe they give you an apple card after the purchase, you don't use it towards the purchase price. At least that's how it was explained to me by an apple store rep.

9. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I could a foresee a trade in/buy back for the Edition only. I'm assuming the gold content could be recycled somehow rather than going into landfill.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Not at all. I think this device is on a two-year upgrade cycle and that's enough time for people to be able to keep affording new ones.

11. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

On a related note I wonder if there will be a 'watch only' option for gen 2 on the basis that the strap connection mechanism is unlikely to change and we already have the straps we want. This is particularly important to me as, like the OP, I have a Space Black watch.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This would be interesting and it's just the type of program that I could see them do instead of a trade-in. They want us to give our Watches to family members. They know the majority of us aren't going to use things like Digital Touch until this happens. The full use case doesn't work until you know people with one.

13. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yes, this is the only possible buyback program they may offer. It's worth Apple's time and money to credit some amount back to Edition customers toward their new watch (only) -- the gold is real and significant money, unlike the stainless or Sport models which are mostly just a collection of inexpensive parts. I suspect Apple will come up with a rate tied to the market gold price, but enough less than the price so Apple doesn't have to constantly change the refund amount on a daily basis. It will also provide for the amount it will cost Apple to dismantle he watch and recycle the gold. Could they also re-use the Edition guts in refurbished 1st gen watches which they will likely continue to sell at a reduced rate? Possibly. It's win win for Apple.

Oh, P.S. There will be no internal upgrades for the Watch either.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I disagree. The fact that they'll be quickly obsolete is what makes them attractive to many Edition buyers. Nothing screams "I have money!" more than dropping $10,000-17,000 on a watch that'll be obsolete in a few short years. And trust me, those buyers can afford to buy a new Edition every year. $10-17K is chump change to them.

15. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apple's trade in program will be a lot less then whatever you'd get for selling it in craigslist or eBay, that's for sure

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

doubt it,
    I just want 1/2 gen band swap compatibility

17. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

If they just offered the Space Black Watch with a Sport Band...

18. srshaw macrumors 6502

I have a few straps, but it wouldn't be a big deal to buy the next gen with a cheap sports strap (assuming they bring out some new colours - I have black and white and don't like the others).

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sure, but danmart's point was he has the Space Black version and can't simply purchase the next gen Space Black with a cheap sport strap if Apple still won't make the Space Black available with other bands beside the expensive link bracelet.

20. srshaw macrumors 6502

That's a fair point about the space black watch. I'd be annoyed if it wasn't available separately or at least with a cheap sports band.

21. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I am really hoping they will do some sort of special Apple Watch trade-in program but I don't see them actually doing it :/

22. Nell macrumors regular

Having a watch only option would make sense (assuming the band fitting is the same, which it needs to be to maintain confidence IMO: change the band fitting and you put off a lot of first gen buyers but also mean second gen buyers are less likely to buy multiple bands) but I suspect a lot of sport bands might be about due for replacement by then so offering every watch body with a choice of bands that includes the black and white sport bands might also work. It would be ridiculous if people with the space black stainless steel had to rebut the link band though.

23. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

why would they have a buy back? you purchased a product its not a lease or loan program... people upgrade to the "s" model iPhone without complaints.

24. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

No one knows. That is the answer to your question. Next.

25. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard