Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Can Apple sue him?

He should not be doing this.
He can do whatever the hell he wants with a product he bought. Plus, suing the group of people thatpush the limitation of a device with high technical skills isn't the best idea when 10% of your revenue depends on those very people.

the developer blew it. he could have done up a compelling watch face that will make Apple rethink its stand on 3rd party watch faces. instead, what we saw is...:(
The developer is just that, a developer. His job was to try to hack the device.
He's not a designer, he didn't want to release a custom watch face for people to download, he wanted to prove it was possible and share how he did it.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
All I want is this.

latest

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Just another sign that Apple is losing it's edge. When people start hacking your devices for greater customization, you know you're in trouble. This Apple stock bubble isn't even close to getting rock bottom yet. Based on some charts and graphics I recently mocked up, i'm looking for Apple shares to reach $70 this time next year.
Can you show me the mockup? i'm betting on it passing the $170 this year.
No offence meant, but please is it really necessary to use of the word "curation" for just everything that is simply a product offering? I haven't read nor seen anyone use it at this rate before Apple used it for its marketing interests.

Curation is what art galleries and museums do.
Yes, it is not just limited to the elite, but we are talking about watch faces here...

I am sure limiting the watch faces can hardly be called curation.
It is just a limitation and regulation on their part.

It has nothing to do with curation.
These are design choices to serve the product or brand.
No offence meant either, but "Curation" is sorting and selection of content. Art galleries or other "niche" uses for the word are not exclusive. Same goes for "complications".

Putting developer's watchfaces in categories is curation. I would like it if they'd start doing that btw, but i don't think it's very important (i was wrong about the watch in all aspects: i love it for reasons i didn't even consider and the things i wanted it for remain unused.

I'm often surprised at what people want from apple, especially if they're "fans" or are already deep in the ecosystem. Often the wishes are superficial and based on ideas like "more is always better" or "it should be like a normal watch".

I like apple because it doesn't think that way, or atleast less "that way". I imagine they even refused to call this thing a watch; the word watch is such a well-defined item it would steer anyone in an already set direction. It would hold back ideas and creativity.

When people start hacking your devices for greater customization, you know you're in trouble.

I would never think of hacking a device i didn't already love to introduce customization. It seems to me it's the exact opposite: they like the thing so ***** much that they feel the need to make it part of themselves. Put a personal touch on a device.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
One of the Apple Watch' most attractive features - brought to you by a third party.

In other news, Apple drops the appointment requirement for Apple Watches. Must have had a lot of free time on those calendars I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And have people forgotten that iPhone didn't get wallpaper support until iOS 4.0 in 2010?

To be fair, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Apple (for now) wants to maintain the "integrity" of their device now that it's in the wild. They wants people to see the Apple Watch and know it's an Apple Watch (which sadly, despite it's appearance doesn't hold true in my experience as many people have asked me if I am wearing an Apple Watch). Much like controlling system sounds on the iPhone - and like you said - wallpapers. It's fair to assume that in addition to battery life, SDK, etc - one of the reasons is they simply want the Apple Watch to LOOK like an Apple Watch.. for now.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's a joke seeing people wearing these watches. Wearing a nice watch is cool but wearing an Apple watch for get it.
Yeah why would you want notifications on the go, easy access to pay stuff quickly or checking and replying to emails on the go. Or those who like to keep track of their fitness daily...never mind using it for the purpose for a watch to tell the time

Just because it's a joke to you doesn't mean it's not very useful to alot of people.

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Typical outcome. Jailbreak a device for what people claim to be better customization, but 90% of the time what the average person creates is pure garbage. This is prime example. Little stick figure saying OMG and ONOZ? Really? That's the best you got? What are we, 12?

If you want crap just go buy a Samsung device, why buy an expensive Apple product and turn it into that?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Typical outcome. Jailbreak a device for what people claim to be better customization, but 90% of the time what the average person creates is pure garbage. This is prime example. Little stick figure saying OMG and ONOZ? Really? That's the best you got? What are we, 12?

If you want crap just go buy a Samsung device, why buy an expensive Apple product and turn it into that?

You realize this was most likely a simple POC. That the person hacking wasn't trying to create an awesome watch face - but rather determine if and how it could be done.

Angry much?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Ummm... this has been going on since 2008 with the iPhone. So, what is your point?

That Apple = Doomed! Final coffin in the nail. Without Scott and Steve this company is only a shadow of its former self

/s

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
That was one of the first faces that I downloaded for my Moto 360.

This N64 GoldenEye Watch Face Is the Best Reason To Buy the Moto 360 - Gizmodo Sept 2014
Yeah I remember that! I've almost always had an iPhone, so I couldn't get the 360.

It's funny how no one's mind was blown by the fact Bond had a computer in his watch that displayed his location, mission briefing, and weapons and ammo info. Players just accepted it because that's the 007 universe. Now smart watches can do even more than that and it's becoming commonplace. I'm not opposed to our world adopting real-life Bond gadgets!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
To be fair, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Apple (for now) wants to maintain the "integrity" of their device now that it's in the wild. They wants people to see the Apple Watch and know it's an Apple Watch (which sadly, despite it's appearance doesn't hold true in my experience as many people have asked me if I am wearing an Apple Watch). Much like controlling system sounds on the iPhone - and like you said - wallpapers. It's fair to assume that in addition to battery life, SDK, etc - one of the reasons is they simply want the Apple Watch to LOOK like an Apple Watch.. for now.

One problem with that argument -- Apple has released an official third party watch band program already, and unofficial watch bands have started showing up from China since before the watch was officially released. So if Apple was so concerned about keeping such tight control over the "integrity" of the watch, they would not have launched the third party program so soon, and they would be cracking down on unlicensed third party bands which use proprietary patents. Moreover, they wouldn't be adding the ability to use custom photos for wallpaper behind watch faces with Watch OS 2.0, a feature which they demoed at the September event, and displayed in their promo materials -- so something they intended to include.

The band is the first thing an outside observer sees about the watch; and a glimpse, if that, is likely all they will get of the watch face itself. A cheap, tasteless, band from China will say more about the Watch to others, than a fleeting glance of a custom watch face.

Reactions: kdarling

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
In other news, Apple drops the appointment requirement for Apple Watches. Must have had a lot of free time on those calendars I'm guessing.
The "appointment time" was always a joke.

I called up, said I'd like an appointment, they gave me one in 30 minutes. I arrived 20 minutes early and they were happy to show it to me early. I walked out of the store 5 minutes before my appointment was supposed to start.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
One problem with that argument -- Apple has released an official third party watch band program already, and unofficial watch bands have started showing up from China since before the watch was officially released. So if Apple was so concerned about keeping such tight control over the "integrity" of the watch, they would not have launched the third party program so soon, and they would be cracking down on unlicensed third party bands which use proprietary patents. Moreover, they wouldn't be adding the ability to use custom photos for wallpaper behind watch faces with Watch OS 2.0, a feature which they demoed at the September event, and displayed in their promo materials -- so something they intended to include.

The band is the first thing an outside observer sees about the watch; and a glimpse, if that, is likely all they will get of the watch face itself. A cheap, tasteless, band from China will say more about the Watch to others, than a fleeting glance of a custom watch face.
I'm betting Apple will crack down on unlicensed third party bands. Unlike a watch face, bands can can actually damage the device. If the mechanism for attaching it to the watch is not properly (and expensively) manufactured the watch will fall off and potentially shatter on the concrete.

You'll always be able to buy unlicensed bands of course, but probably not from any major retailers.

It coul

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
One of the Apple Watch' most attractive features - brought to you by a third party.
The "appointment time" was always a joke.

I called up, said I'd like an appointment, they gave me one in 30 minutes. I arrived 20 minutes early and they were happy to show it to me early. I walked out of the store 5 minutes before my appointment was supposed to start.

Real world experience is always appreciated in my universe. Thank you very much.

That was one of the first faces that I downloaded for my Moto 360.

This N64 GoldenEye Watch Face Is the Best Reason To Buy the Moto 360 - Gizmodo Sept 2014

Okay, I have to admit I had no idea what you people were talking about but now that I do and I have to say I would definitely wear that. I also have to admit that I hated that game.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.