Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Apple watch IS better than a Fit-bit, but, these numbers are horrible!
[doublepost=1501849772][/doublepost]
Then why bring Christy Turlington Burns on stage during the debut keynote to talk about training for a marathon?

Sex appeal for those still hooked on the 90's glory!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Apple watch IS better than a Fit-bit, but, these numbers are horrible!

Based on what comparison?

The fact that most analysts were saying that the smart phone killed or was killing the watch industry (talked about non-stop on this forum years ago..."why should I wear a watch? I just look at my phone.")

I don't know if there is a guess from people way smarter than me, but how many Apple Watch owners would have never bought a watch before?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Compare those numbers with anything else Apple sells - even the mini-Mac; based on those numbers.

Ahhh...so like I assumed...your comparison is irrelevant.

Compare watch sales to the actual watch market...or the "grand plan" of what the watch does for the Apple ecosystem. Then add they Home Pod thingy...they're getting it right and they are in more and more of our lives.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Ahhh...so like I assumed...your comparison is irrelevant.

... or the "grand plan" of what the watch does for the Apple ecosystem. Then add they Home Pod thingy...they're getting it right and they are in more and more of our lives.

Hah, the future! I'll wait to see those numbers.

Based on the number of years the Watch has been around, I am not sure the Home Pod is going to boost the Watch use ... I can wait another year to see if that happens.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Clarification. A Quartz Movement Automatic Timepiece. No wi-fi, no bluetooth, no scanners penetrating your sub dermal layers, etc.......... Many unknowns in the future. :apple:

You know you are always being blasted with these waves, right?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hah, the future! I'll wait to see those numbers.

Based on the number of years the Watch has been around, I am not sure the Home Pod is going to boost the Watch use ... I can wait another year to see if that happens.

It's still the number one selling smart watch out there...and it is getting better. If iPhone sales continue up and get an even higher boost with the new design, that will only increase the opportunity for more AW sales.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I'm simply curious about Wi-fi/BlueTooth devices touching the epidermis 16-24 hrs a day. :apple:

And, that new study released last week about sperm count being down by 50% or so!:(

It applies to all devices, esp., the ones carried around the waist all-day!

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
these numbers are horrible!

At an ASP of around $400 and ~15 million a year sold those "horrible" numbers add up to around $6bn revenue a year. That's comfortably Fortune 500 territory and higher than Adobe in it's entirety. Quite the numbers for a "horrible" failure of a product.

Reactions: cflem

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Apple Watch sold 30 million units to date - after starting the first year with that 15 million units, it is down in the single millions until this stat release! Not 15 million a year every year! The comparison I made is for Apple's success with its own other products, not Adobe or Samsung!

A square inch LED is not what people want to be looking at, ALL smart watches are not quite the success the sellers thought they were going to have - underlined by Apple being the most sold WATCH.

Fitbit is not a watch, though for some reason its stats are included in this article - wearable, but not a watch.

I like and subscribe to the Apple system - not the watch, as I experimented with it and found it not for me.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Apple Watch sold 30 million units to date - after starting the first year with that 15 million units, it is down in the single millions until this stat release! Not 15 million a year every year!

Bzzzzt. Wrong. Source: This very article covering the financials.

"Sales of Apple Watch were up over 50 percent in the June quarter," said Cook. "It's the number one selling smartwatch in the world by a very wide margin."

In the March quarter, he noted that sales of Apple Watch nearly doubled year over year. In the December quarter, he announced that Apple Watch had its best quarter ever.

The comparison I made is for Apple's success with its own other products, not Adobe or Samsung!

Nobody mentioned Samsung. No matter how you slice it you're saying they should throw away $6bn+ of business, a business that own it's on is well into the Fortune 500 and growing, because it's not as much as iPhone. It is an absurd statement.

Reactions: MozMan68

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Paying via Apple Watch is so convenient, I love it. Cashiers are still surprised when I put my wrist close to the reader, they are used to people paying with smartphones but there are very few AW out there, at least in my country.

I wonder how they will improve it and what feature will be so compelling to make me consider an upgrade. I have a series 1 and is fast enough, maybe if they introduced smart bands with additional health and fitness capabilities I'd be tempted, while I'm not sure I'd need LTE on the Watch

When I've paid with my Apple Watch on a few occasions the cashier has said to me (when I double pressed the button and then placed the watch near the reader) "or, I thought you were looking at the time"

Yeah, for me I can't see any point in a LTE Apple Watch, apart from if you want to go for a run and don't want your iPhone jumping around in your pocket, but still want the ability to be able to call or text someone.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Bzzzzt. Wrong. Source: This very article covering the financials.

No matter how you slice it you're saying they should throw away $6bn+ of business, a business that own it's on is well into the Fortune 500 and growing, because it's not as much as iPhone. It is an absurd statement.

"Specifically, Apple Watch shipments have now reached an estimated 31.5 million units over the product's lifetime."

Did I ever say Apple should "throw away the ... Apple Watch" business? No! Show me where I made that statement!

You mentioned Adobe, I mentioned Samsung - both irrelevant and thus the point, absurd comparisons!

I said its sales are not like the rest of Apple's lineup, and that AW is not for me, having tried it. Most of the Apple consumers have rejected it.

The AW is at a disadvantage in the USA because the lack of NF terminals make their primary ease of use feature null.

The AW is also at a disadvantage among the 45+ year old people who don't fancy peering into a 1.5" display to read messages or touch the small features/icons.

Even where these disadvantages are absent, as in the European countries or with the 20+ year old consumers, it is not as widely used as the iPhone's last two generations. Possibly, too expensive.

Its use as a fitness and health monitor is great - wish Apple designed the straps themselves to be like Fitbit bands to better the use AW features.

The recent uptick in sales is good, and I hope the next version is better received, esp. as it might have the cellular modem also. But, the battery life will be a millstone!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
15 million watches a year at an ASP of around $400. That's $6bn. Enough to be into the Fortune 500 all on its own. And you think they should s**tcan it. Yeah, about that...

Right. Link to the thread where I stated that. Yeah, about that ...

Reactions: KPandian1

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Why does it have to be a loss leader? We know Apple's margins on everything they build is enormously high. Don't forget they stand to make a ton on bands and accessories as well. It's also a gateway into a higher margin Apple Watch 3. Especially if it has new diagnostics, or health related features.

And as I said in my earlier post, security. There are Fitbits and Garmins, but some may prefer their information remain with Apple.
I Apple Watch R&D is way over what is customery for a a low volume product packing cutting edge technology. They’ve priced it to sell already.
I hardly doubt the margins are all that great. It’s a long game Apple is playing with the Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.